The jury is oout on this one. . . for now

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John MacLean

I thought I had a build plan for the coming winter. . . a whiplash sport 20. From everything I've read it has a pretty solid reputation. I would prefer something different in the cowl design though so I've been taking a closer look at the MLboatworks Gp335. I love the look of the modern hydros and Mike is coming out with some new cowls for his boats. The few videos I've seen of the boat seem impressive but am wondering if anyone has had enough experience with them to compare them with the whiplash? The final decision will probably come down to a combination of personal taste and a coin toss since they both seem to command great respect and are in the same price range.
confused2.gif
I am sure I'll be happy going either route. . . Heck, it would be great to have pockets deep enough to build one of each . . but it aint in the cards.

Any thoughts?
biggrin.gif

For FE, it somewhat depends on which class you are aiming for either p-spec or P. The whiplash is a proven hull which is known to be fast when setup and built correctly. The same can probably be said for the ML Boatworks, but there are just not as many hulls out there to compare to. I saw both hulls at the NAMBA FE Nats and would give my nod to the whips. I believe the ML sport hydro needed more test and tune time.

Tyler

i dont know about FE but the Whip is tough to build for nitro. Tough to package all the bits.. I've had a whip, and right now I'm building a ML310.. I can very for a fact the the ML310 is way easier to build and the fit of the parts in the kit are way better. I'll have my 310 in the water in a week or so.. it's 2 very different concepts. THe whip captures and hold pressure under the hull. The ML boat is designed to vent air and run more like a rigger.. just my opinion.. and the cost is similar because there laser and time and wood content are about the same.

True, an unmodified whip is a tight package for a full P setup, but I have seen several P-Ltd setups that package very nicely. Several people have stretched the sport 20 whip to the maximum length and have been able to accommodate more components.

Just finished a whip build and I can verify that it's a challenge. Now that I have built one, I know what to do to make the next one come together. Have a GP335 on order....

In a couple of months I may be able to make a valid comparison between the two, both build and performance wise.... ;)

Thats the biggest hurdle right now....getting people out running the gp series. Its so new that its hard to convince people without the history such as the whip. Legacies are not built in one day, thats for sure. I will say this, the gp hull u saw at the namba nats had zero run time on it. I had just finished the build literally about 3 days before that race. Hard to judge it fairly. I am getting reviews in from my fe guys, and all are positive. The racers that helped with the design i trust fully as they have years of experience. I took their ideas and proven techniques and made it all come together. Maybe in a year, everyone will feel like i do about the lineup...they are fun, fast, predicatable, and stable! Mike

Decision made. . . Hope to order my gp335 in a couple of weeks. With only two builds under my belt (Redtail Kneeler and a JAE21) and no serious intention to do anything other than sport running it sounds like the MLboatworks kit will best fit the bill.

Latest posts

Back