The evolution of Outriggers from the 90's untill now

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Daly

Hi Guy's - I have been out of boat racing since the mid 90's and am thinking about starting back at it next year.

Back in the day I raced Sport 40 Hydro,1/8 scale Hydro,and 60 Rigger's

I found IW recently[Awesome Forum !] and have been trying to come up to speed on what is being run currently.

I see the ramp boat configuration -some with rear sponsons - some without.... :wacko:

Could someone explain the theory to a Old Dog ?

Thanks in advance - Mike

Hi mike

the newer boats was made from stuff over seas... they race in ocean type water that is where it started.

rear ward CG boats with more tail weight to keep the props loaded. flat surfaces to keep the boat from being STUCK on the water and help in launching. the ski boats help on launch. takes some of the drag away from having a round strut and tubing in the water.

much wider front sponson spacing helps in the ruff water and the wider you go the faster the boats turn now that the fin is away from the tub sides. plus allows you to run narrower ride surface but keeping a WIDER FOOT PRINT.

that is pretty much it in a nut shell but i am sure you will here 5000 other theorys on this as well.

chris

The biggest change I've seen is more powerful nitro engines. My 20 year old Dave Frank 1/8 scale boat has a lot of lift compared to the same 8255 hull built today. You can overcome this with air dams, setup, and weight. The same thing has happened with all hull types, resulting in bigger boats in the same class. Another major change has been the rise of gasoline powered boats. They have lots of advantages over nitro boats, especially for beginners, but their huge size is a major problem for those of us with little cars.

Lohring Miller

I build these fullsize .Center section is 100% carbon/kevlar certified/registered apba type3 capsule with prototype okoume/spruce sponsons.

This hull actually gets two wing sections(not shown) over each tube.

Building this way allows me to build for several different classes by building different size/style sponsons and wings.

5ltr 011.JPG

5ltr 020.JPG

5ltr 018.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
AMAZING project Dan..I second Anthony........By any chance is you the pilot? What speed out of this devil thing! I can see full size JAE sponsons or not?

Thanks

Gill

AMAZING project Dan..I second Anthony........By any chance is you the pilot? What speed out of this devil thing! I can see full size JAE sponsons or not?

Thanks

Gill
Have you guys see Dan's Top Fuel Hydro outriggers. The Toxic Rocket team was running one a few years back. YouTube it. Many of the Top Fuel teams are now running a rigger called the Bullet. Would make us R/C boat guys proud...because yes, they are learning from us "toy boaters" :)

I build these fullsize .Center section is 100% carbon/kevlar certified/registered apba type3 capsule with prototype okoume/spruce sponsons.

Building this way allows me to build for several different classes by building different size/style sponsons and wings.
Dan ....just awesome ! Neighbors must just shake their heads or want to drive it . I know I do !!!

Thank You Chris - Great sumary,just what I was looking for !

Thanks Anthony:Big____ for sure

Lohring :Is the greater power seen in using a higher pitched propeller,higher RPM's or a combination of each ?

The gas classes look interesting,I am located in the north east US [New York] and there is only one club running races this year.

I need to find out what classes are actuly being run before I build/buy/resurect something to compete with next year...not much fun having the only boat in a class

Dan -Very cool ! have you run these yet ,I would love to see some video.

After I dropped the rc boats I worked on a buddy's 2L hydro ,he moved up to 5L for a few years and I had a 2L that I was redoing after a fire...

I had thought that to win in the stock classes with out a Big buck sponsor and a new Jones hull one would need to go in a different direction than the rest of the pack, your rigger or a canard is exactly what I was thinking {1990's vintage of course}

What class are you running this in ?

Mike

My Jaw just hit the keyboard..... wow ...that is awesome.

In case some of you don't know. Dan built and sold very successful Zenoah gas riggers (Ellison) a few years back. Then he built several of the full sized Top fuel hydros that look almost identical to his original Zenoah powered riggers. Dan has been instramental in bringing successful riggers into the drag boat arena. Maybe one day the Unlimited teams will humble themselves enough to listen to "toy boat" builders.

In case some of you don't know. Dan built and sold very successful Zenoah gas riggers (Ellison) a few years back. Then he built several of the full sized Top fuel hydros that look almost identical to his original Zenoah powered riggers. Dan has been instramental in bringing successful riggers into the drag boat arena. Maybe one day the Unlimited teams will humble themselves enough to listen to "toy boat" builders.
Dan is still one of the sharpest minds in rigger design and has NEVER been given the credit he deserves

For those that don,t know Dan personaly he has helped more than one TOP HULL BUILDERS in our world get the boats working properly

End of story

Henry

Dan ....just awesome ! Neighbors must just shake their heads or want to drive it . I know I do !!!
Man has his priorities in line Foley- NO grass to mow and a full size hydro build in the garage- :p

Awesome stuff Dan B)

Back