Tecnopower powerheads

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeremy Linney

Has anyone had any experience with these powerheads yet. If so, how do they compare to other "modified" powerheads, like CMB, Novarossi, Rossi, Mac, etc. Would like to hear some feedback as I am in the market for a good B-Tunnel powerhead.

Bone stock, its a great little engine. Hoping to put some more time on it before doing any modifications. Right out of the box though it does really well. I wouldnt put it up against a nova, but it will hold its own with most, stock for stock.

Still has a great pinch after maybe a half gallon of fuel, and is easy to tune/run with an OS 20J carb. We ran a prototype Hopper pipe, and an Irwin stamped pipe, so far it likes the Irwin better. Was run on a Lynx at the WTC by Tim Dean.

~ James

Last edited by a moderator:
I use both. The lube tap/nipple in the header is for the prop shaft, and I use a small piece of fuel tubing up top to fill with oil for the shaft. Gravity fed.

Hi Rody,

any chance that the piston and sleeve used in the inboard version will be made available in the Powerheads?

Hi Rody,

any chance that the piston and sleeve used in the inboard version will be made available in the Powerheads?
Hi Tim,

The Sleeve of the M01 and M02 have a OD of 19.5mm while the sleeve of the M03 is 19.6mm, so this unfortunately cannot be interchanged for now. You need to change the crankcase to be able to do this.

If for example you have a M01 or M02 and a M03 then you can interchange the crankcase and sleeve.

I am waiting for some more feedback from the marine engines before adding another model. There has been some discussion/request about what glowplug to use on our marine engines and so for the TP powerheads I made 2 versions 1 with a turbo/conical glowplug(M01 OS leg based) and the normal/std glowplug(M02 Lawless based).

Personally I fond while using a turbo/conical glowplug the performances have always been better, however I am limiting myself using not more then 25% nitro.

Hi Rody,

Hi Tim,

The Sleeve of the M01 and M02 have a OD of 19.5mm while the sleeve of the M03 is 19.6mm, so this unfortunately cannot be interchanged for now. You need to change the crankcase to be able to do this.

If for example you have a M01 or M02 and a M03 then you can interchange the crankcase and sleeve.

I am waiting for some more feedback from the marine engines before adding another model. There has been some discussion/request about what glowplug to use on our marine engines and so for the TP powerheads I made 2 versions 1 with a turbo/conical glowplug(M01 OS leg based) and the normal/std glowplug(M02 Lawless based).

Personally I fond while using a turbo/conical glowplug the performances have always been better, however I am limiting myself using not more then 25% nitro.
Thanks for the reply Rody,

Some very good information in there regarding the sleeve diameters. The reason I asked is the numbers and port layout on the M03 looks great and the reports sound REALLY good for high performance marine application, and the M01 and M02 are a little on the conservative side. Nothing that can't be adjusted, but great numbers from the factory is always positive - less likely someone will get it very wrong and make the engine look bad. I have been asked to raise the timings on one of the powerheads by a local boat racer already.

I'm a big fan of the turbo glowplugs myself. Not only from a performance perspective, but also they seem more durable.

Tim

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the reply Rody,

Some very good information in there regarding the sleeve diameters. The reason I asked is the numbers and port layout on the M03 looks great and the reports sound REALLY good for high performance marine application, and the M01 and M02 are a little on the conservative side. Nothing that can't be adjusted, but great numbers from the factory is always positive - less likely someone will get it very wrong and make the engine look bad. I have been asked to raise the timings on one of the powerheads by a local boat racer already.

I'm a big fan of the turbo glowplugs myself. Not only from a performance perspective, but also they seem more durable.

Tim
Hi Tim,

Yes, the M01 and M01 have concervative numbers this to make it easier for the overall user..., as you stated it is easier to raise the numbers on a sleeve rather then to lower them. But this is then up to the user to decide to do or not.

I prefer to supply a good base engine which can be used by a wide range of users rather then a very particular tricky but very fast engine which can only be exploited by a few users.

I also noticed while making a small F1 competiton here in Italy that you want an PowerHead engine which is easy on the throttle rather then one which kicks in a lot of power very suddenly and makes the driving very difficult. Of course when you are alone and you have a flat lake then this is all acceptable but when in the race it becomes all very difficult to finish..., and you need to finish to win... :)

Anyway, good you like the numbers on the M03 sleeve, this can be a good base for a next PowerHead engine but first we need to sell a little of the M01 and M02 before being able to move on.

Agree with you that the turbo glowplugs last longer, especially our TecnoPower glowplugs... :rolleyes:

Back