Swordfish 300

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

u60

Anyone have any experience with the Swordfish 300 ESC? I have one, tried it in my 1/8 scale, we couldn't get it to work properly. We actually tried two of them. Both are brand new. After programming the unit per the instructions, etc the motor would only twitch or cog (for lack of a better description) In other words it wouldn't spin over continuously. We then installed another new ESC (swordfish 300) programmed it etc. Put the boat in the water. It ran for about 150' then went into like a limp mode. It would only spin the motor what seemed like a few 100 RPM. Tried re programming it and nothing would work. All connections are good with all the proper plugs, etc. BAtteries are all new, fully charged, etc. The issue seems to be with the ESC, just can't figure it out. So anyone with experience with the 300 that can shed any light on this problem would be appreciated. Thanks!

Yes I have one that worked just good on my saw rigger but honestly never had the power I have now with my Ice 240.Up to then the data logging showed repeatidly lot of misreading.

First have you downloaded the last version software? V4.02 hifei

Have you observed the number of poles of your motor?

What motor are you using and how many cells?

Have you used big connectors and observed the way to solder the cables?Sometimes bad connectors produce this sympton!

I'm asking this because we need more details about your setup or better post pics of it.

Gill

As for the motor not spinning it sure sounds like it is minus one connection and cogging as you say. After a couple heats I had one boat go out one lap and just quit. Troubleshooting it later I could see one of the bullets to the motor wire arcing through the shrink wrap. Just a marginal solder joint that found weak spot after 3 or 4 races. Try another motor or speed control and see if it does the same thing. I also have a SF300 that like Gills seems to only hit 70% throttle. Must be sensitive or not reading the TX-RX calibration. I prefer my Castle Ice 240 over the SF300 that works but just not all there. The rest of my SF200-220 ESC's are just fine. Mic

Thanks for the replies. I am using the NEU 1527 1.5Y MOTOR on 8S. Yes, I used the Castle 8mm connectors for the motor and the 6.5mm for the batteries. All components are brand new. The solder etc is all good. We did hook the ESC up to another motor and it did the same thing, ran at very low RPM'S. I'll try a different brand of ESC and see if that fixes things. Thanks again.

Have you programed it to your Transmitter, This is REQUIRED.

Turn the low voltage all the way down to 2.5 volts or it will go 100' and stop.

Yes, I did program to my transmitter and also turned the low voltage to the lowest setting. I have reprogramed multiple times. I'll try it again...

Set transmitter throttle to 100% and check the solder joints, hit them with the iron again until the solder is liquid for 5 seconds or try another motor as suggested.

After you get everything working turn the throttle percentage all the way up.

Have you programed it to your Transmitter, This is REQUIRED.

Turn the low voltage all the way down to 2.5 volts or it will go 100' and stop.
Could you expain that low voltage and 100 with more detail. I just bought one of the swordfish SEC's and I plan on programming mine the next day or two. I spent a lot of time getting good solder joints and have a couple more connectors to finish up before programming. Also, The instructions say to hook up the battery when programming. I assume it means the main power lipo batteries. Never had to do that before with my Castle.
John

Sell it and get a Castle Hydra ICE 240lv for 8s, or Hydra ICE 200HV for 8-10s, or even the Castle Ice/ Edge 200 for airplanes up to 8s, converted to water cooling, with a pistix. I have never burnt one up, and I own 4 of them. I had two of those Swordfish 240HV esc's..one went about 100ft and burnt up, the other went about 101ft and burnt up, needless to say I was burnt up about the situation. ICE series..1 yr warrenty, and they will honor it...and quickly. Mike

Not the news I was hoping for. I had a Castle and burned it up after two passes so I expect this will be good for 100 feet? I am learning the hard way because My prop was too big on the Castle. Didn't have the extra caps either. learning the expensive way.

I have an ETTI in my scale boat that seems to be working fine so far. Don set up the scale boat so that's probably why the success. See you at the race in a week and a half! Gonna do my first electric heat race in 1/8th scale.

Now that I have the Swordfish I may as well try it so I can report to everyone honestly how it works. I have a known prop, battery, motor, combination that has worked in the past with the shulzie controller so if it fails it is a bad fish.

John, I talked to Don about your Castle failure, and we both agreed, it was the lack of external capacitor banks. Dick and I have relied on external caps for a few years now in SAW conditions and never lost a controller that had them...every controller we used without them...went home smoked. I also talked to Castle technical support, and they strongly suggested we run extra caps, especially with boats. He said they would add more from the factory, but cosmetically, extra caps were just a problem. They make or break a quality controller. Don mentioned that Etti contoller and I am glad to hear its running well. I have tried one of their 150 LV controllers a while back, and it did work very well. I honestly believe cap banks are the real key with boats and the amp surges/ ripple current they see..you just have to have them, and quality batteries! Mike

I programmed the unit a little while ago and had issues getting things to work. Come to find out you can't program it with the motor wires connected to the ESC. One 3 s pack on the battery side and no connection to the motor and it only took two minutes to set up the variables. Now I need to get to the pond. I was going to throw it out in the lake behind the house but I have some full size boaters hogging the lake. Let you know this weekend for sure if it works. TX set at 100 percent for full throttle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Keith Bradley is working with SF300's and seems he's having good luck with them...you can get a hold of him at OSE forum.As I stated before never had my unit working fine as my Ice 240 with a BIG CAP BANK ! Gill

Be prepared to increase the throttle % to 120 depending on radio.
Four channel futaba FASST. Are you speaking from experience Jim. Do you have a swordfish? Any help is appreciated.
John
John, I have to agree with Jim. I have never had much luck with any ESC on 100%. Usually 120% is the only way to go. Mike
So do you set the TX for 100 percent on set up and then after setup jack it up to 120 or do you set it up at 120 percent on original setup?

Thanks Jim!

I have a cap bank on all my speed controllers now. I agree it is needed. Will never run an ESC without a cap bank!

Back