Supervee 27

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

llema

Hi all,

I recently acquired a Supervee 27 electric boat... I have to get batteries for it, and was hoping I could use Lipo's with it. Can someone steer me in the right direction please. Looking to get 4 packs for sport use, so keeping it on a budget somewhat. :) The instruction booklet doesn't mention anything about using Lipo's... do you have to use voltage regulators to run it with Lipo's? Or will the speed controller handle the higher voltage of the Lipo's? What are you guys using?

Never mind... I just noticed the SC is good for 18v... I guess 2x 4s packs in parallel with low voltage cutoff should work... :)

IIema

Might I?

If you are going to sport run the boat I would pick up a set of these.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXNZB8&P=ML

and one of these..

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXPRL3&P=7

Of maybe the set...

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXSLB1&P=7

The batterys realy test out around 3300mah and the performance is very good. Run times are good as well as cost..

I know they are not Lipos but for the SV they are about the best bang for the buck.

Grim

Hey Ilema,

Our club races two classes of SV 27's on a very regular basis.

I actually have raced the SV's at the nats and won that class this past year.

Mike Zaborowski designed the SV 27 and it is a great boat when set-up optimally.

I would differ on the battery recommendation. when used properly these new lipo

batteries have better performance, but are also more reliable no matter which brand.

My recommendation is buy Qty. (2) 4s-5000mah lipo packs at a minimun of 30c.

35c would be even better.

For sport running use the both in parallel and be careful when we say parallel that you understand,

because in series as the boat was originally wired it will burn up the ESC quickly.

These can be placed in the conventional holders, but as far forward as you can get them.

For Racing run just one of those two packs mounted in front of the motor. You will have to place

additional velcro, and maybe even a small piece of plywood to better accomodate the lipo pack.

By placing the battery in this extreme forward position the boat will run better at top speed and

due to the centered position of the pack weight it will handle much better.

I'm 100% sure of this race package. You can also use a prop with a total of 2.6 to 2.8 pitch for

maximum performance.

You should choose a good quality lipo battery. Pat at RCLipos.com has a good line, but you will have to

make up you own mind as I'm sure there are a lot of differing opinions on lipo packs.

I would however recommend buying a Hyperion charger, most racers use them. There are a variety

of models to choose from, but other than capacity they all seem to work well.

Hope this helps,

Good Luck, :D

Ken

Hey Ilema,

Mike Zaborowski designed the SV 27 and it is a great boat when set-up optimally.

batteries have better performance, but are also more reliable no matter which brand.

For sport running use the both in parallel and be careful when we say parallel that you understand,

because in series as the boat was originally wired it will burn up the ESC quickly.

These can be placed in the conventional holders, but as far forward as you can get them.

For Racing run just one of those two packs mounted in front of the motor. You will have to place

additional velcro, and maybe even a small piece of plywood to better accomodate the lipo pack.

By placing the battery in this extreme forward position the boat will run better at top speed and

I'm 100% sure of this race package. You can also use a prop with a total of 2.6 to 2.8 pitch for

maximum performance.

You should choose a good quality lipo battery. Pat at RCLipos.com has a good line, but you will have to

make up you own mind as I'm sure there are a lot of differing opinions on lipo packs.

I would however recommend buying a Hyperion charger, most racers use them. There are a variety

Hope this helps,

Ken

Yup...5000 packs and definately check out RCLipos...Pat has always been awesome to me! I have a Hyperion Duo II charger...It will charge two packs at once!!

All good advice Ken!

-Kent

Last edited by a moderator:
Right now, I like Grimracer's suggestion, simply because it's more within my budget for this boat. $300 - $400 + in batteries and chargers for this little boat is not going to happen! :) I would however like to go with lipos since I'm already using some in another little electric that I have...(a minicat hydro). I'm now looking into 3s packs rated 35c 3000mah... I'm thinking this could be alright for sport use and should compare to the recommended 8.4v 3000mah Nimh packs... what do you guys think? On the plus side, I could use them in my other boat also. These electrics are really just for fun for me...for now anyway! :) Starting to like them more and more though I must admit!

Thanks for the help.

IImea,

11.1V is just not enough for the boat.. and you can not series the packs.. you will nuke the ESC.

Truth is for the money the 3000s (not goofing ya) really make the boat perform well.. Nope.. they aint Lipos but med performance lipos to me are just med and thats all they can be.. for that kind of money.

Knowing that you are a boater you know (like the rest of us) that if you like this stuff you are going to loose your mind and want more. OK.. we have all done it..

But.. this boat really likes those packs and can go with the boat when you sell it (your going to want to really go MUCH FASTER) to help start another RC dude on his way to FE racing.

Again.. everybody’s got good points here. Thanks for helping out a brother!

Grim

Hey Ilema,

maximum performance.

Hope this helps,

Ken

Yup...5000 packs and definately check out RCLipos...Pat has always been awesome to me! I have a Hyperion Duo II charger...It will charge two packs at once!!

All good advice Ken!

-Kent

Hey Ilema,

maximum performance.

Hope this helps,

Ken

All good advice Ken!

-Kent
kent ....will the hyperion duo ii balance cells while charging ?...thanks....bob

Hey Ilema,

maximum performance.

Hope this helps,

Ken

All good advice Ken!

-Kent
kent ....will the hyperion duo ii balance cells while charging ?...thanks....bob

Yes...you just have to buy the right balance adaptor(s) for your lipo application...RCLipos.com has what you will need...

-Kent

Thanks guys... since I will just use this boat for messin' at the cottage where noise of the gas boats can be an issue, I've decided to go with Grimracer's suggestion and got the 8.4v packs. Be on the water soon! :)

Back