Wiring for high voltage steering servos

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg Johnson

I'm sure there's a thread on this in here somewhere but I'm unable to locate it. With the larger steering servos requiring 6 to 8.4 + volts how do you wire to the receiver on gas or nitro boats where there is no speed control involved?

I’m using the Spectrum DX4C and my servos are a mixture of HV and normal. From what I can see it may be that a BEC device is needed so I can use the 7.4v battery for the HV servo (steering) and then take the receiver lead from the BEC to power the receiver.

I take the HV servo's power and ground connections direct to the 7.4v and the control wire to the receiver steering channel. The other two standard servos go to the receiver like normal. Does that sound right? Is anything needed for potential glitching on the HV servo?

Greg,

I would stick with the KISS principle and just run your HV servo's at a lower voltage acceptable to the standard servo's. If you need the torque offered by the HV servo then run them on a 2 cell lipo receiver pack. Futaba makes an inline voltage regulator which could be placed inline between the receiver and standard servo. Futaba inline regulator . Otherwise best to upgrade to all HV servo's and save the normal ones for another boat.

I would recommend against your dual voltage system. It's asking for trouble.

NOTE.. that regulator is 1amp..

I am with Tyler on this.. KISS.. do yourself a favor (they are just so nice).. update to HV stuff.

Grim

You would have thought I'd check the voltage range for the receiver to begin with and save everyone from helping me out. Apologies. The receiver range is 3.5v to 9.6v. I can just go in direct with the 7.4v.
Need to purge what I knew in the past for what I need to know today.

Bypass the normal BEC/battery connection and use a Y connector to another channel or an unused one.

Back