SUPERSPORT 45 NAMBA MOD

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NAMBA rules for sport boats have bellypan depth restrictions for all the sport classes.
NAMBA sport 40 director Eric Boulet informed me of this detail this year. Boats been around since 1990 and someone finally read the rulebook :lol: Maybe that rule came along long after I started selling the SSP45, no one really knows when or why there is a rule for depths on bellypan sport boats I am told. I wasnt aware of it either.

It is no big deal to fix and the mod I have actually settles the boat down in racing conditions

You can do it yourself or get one of my mod kits which consists of a epoxyglass filler sheet for the left and right tunnel to be glued in between the belly pan and sponson. It make the tunnel angle of attack less so the hull makes less lift and meets the NAMBA 1/2 inch depth rule.

check out the pictures in this album SSP45 NAMBA MOD

https://www.intlwaters.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=832

email me for more info

PHIL THOMAS

Hi Phil, Long time no see. It is your responsibility as a manufacturer to belong to all organizations and read their rules and make sure your boats are legal. It keeps modelers from buying a pig in a poke. Those Namba rules have been in effect since Moby Dick was a (oh, you know). ---- They sure as hell enforced the rules on me.

And will again, Don Pinckert

Hi Phil, Long time no see. It is your responsibility as a manufacturer to belong to all organizations and read their rules and make sure your boats are legal. It keeps modelers from buying a pig in a poke. Those Namba rules have been in effect since Moby Dick was a (oh, you know). ---- They sure as hell enforced the rules on me.
I'm curious as to why this is just now coming to light? How long has Phil's SS45 been out & raced at sanctioned events? Almost 17 years?? Now I'll agree if the rule has been around longer than the boat has then it's a good idea for a manufacturer to attempt to meet the rules. But ya know it's interesting how sometimes the rule book only seems to come out & get enforced or even modified when others feel threatened by a potential front runner (remember the twin 21 sport 40?) or got their butt handed to them at a race. Funny how all too often as long as a boat isn't competitive nobody says squat but as soon as it shows signs of being a contender people are all over it like stink on you know what. Not saying that's the case here but it sure seems to happen ....... :blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Don I can tell you this......it's amazing how little the rulebook actually gets read. I'm dealing with two situations that have popped up over the last few months where no one read the rule book and the rule had been there for quite some time. Or they are trying to assume what the rule intent is based upon one word leaving the door open to speculation when the rest of the rule is very clear about the intent. I can't speak to this particular issue because I do not know when the rule originally was written and whether it was there before Phil started marketing his hull. But I can say that the rule was there as of a 1995 printing of the book. So it is safe to say that there was at minimum 12 years that this could have been discovered. Just so happenes that it was found by some friends of mine in SoCal where there are not many SS45 hulls and they bought one and just happen to measure before they built it.....as any good scale guy would do....had to throw that in there.

Mike and Don,

I think a lot of it has to do with what we were running 15 years a go and what we run today. At least out west anyway. What hulls we run a majority of today are not what we ran 15 years a go. This can be said for monos, sport and riggers. MTO, SG, Twincraft, Muck, AC, RC Sportcraft, Seaducer, Calcraft and other designs. The rules are the same but hulls have crossed both sides of the continent and are now popularly run in both organizations.

If we were to think about it, at least me anyway, I did not know the IMPBA rules 15 years a go. So if I was a boat builder back then, and my area was NAMBA, I would build hulls to NAMBA specs. I would say the same if I was in an IMPBA area. Blame it on the Internet and all of us sharing ideas of what's best or better or racers traveling across the states to run successfully with different hulls. That will breed hulls selling in areas that were non-existent before.

Seaducer hulls were not legal in NAMBA for some time. It took a while for someone to notice it. It took a while and we changed the rules. Everything was handled properly and for the good of model boating. We may see the same for sport hulls. Its up to the membership. In the mean time.......... I admire the quick fix that Phil did to help out NAMBA buyers of his product.

Thanks, Al Waters

I'm curious as to why this is just now coming to light? How long has Phil's SS45 been out & raced at sanctioned events? Almost 17 years?? Now I'll agree if the rule has been around longer than the boat has then it's a good idea for a manufacturer to attempt to meet the rules. But ya know it's interesting how sometimes the rule book only seems to come out & get enforced or even modified when others feel threatened by a potential front runner (remember the twin 21 sport 40?) or got their butt handed to them at a race. Funny how all too often as long as a boat isn't competitive nobody says squat but as soon as it shows signs of being a contender people are all over it like stink on you know what. Not saying that's the case here but it sure seems to happen ....... :blink:
Don, Want to hear about two hundred stories??????? dp

Mike and Don,
I think a lot of it has to do with what we were running 15 years a go and what we run today. At least out west anyway. What hulls we run a majority of today are not what we ran 15 years a go. This can be said for monos, sport and riggers. MTO, SG, Twincraft, Muck, AC, RC Sportcraft, Seaducer, Calcraft and other designs. The rules are the same but hulls have crossed both sides of the continent and are now popularly run in both organizations.

If we were to think about it, at least me anyway, I did not know the IMPBA rules 15 years a go. So if I was a boat builder back then, and my area was NAMBA, I would build hulls to NAMBA specs. I would say the same if I was in an IMPBA area. Blame it on the Internet and all of us sharing ideas of what's best or better or racers traveling across the states to run successfully with different hulls. That will breed hulls selling in areas that were non-existent before.

Seaducer hulls were not legal in NAMBA for some time. It took a while for someone to notice it. It took a while and we changed the rules. Everything was handled properly and for the good of model boating. We may see the same for sport hulls. Its up to the membership. In the mean time.......... I admire the quick fix that Phil did to help out NAMBA buyers of his product.

Thanks, Al Waters
Al, I should have changed my name to Jerry Crowther. To outlaw my boats, They enforced rules on me that 'everybody' else seemed exempt from. ------- Want to hear the stories?? ---- Yeah, I know: "Poor Donnie".

dp

Don,

What is your goal with your posts? Are you trying to help? I have to tell ya straight up.. your posts don’t look all that good in the "help us understand department" or ”help us solve department”

Looks to me ( please correct me if my wrong ) that you are just stirring the pot?

Grimracer

Eric,
Not to start problems, but does the NO EXPOSED TUNED PIPE RULE include the muffler or is it OK to have a muffler exposed. I ask this question for a sport .21, as in Colorado where we run, noise has never been an issue, so we do not actively enforce the 92db limit. Though we do run mufflers or muffled pipes on anything .45 and larger. I will be running the sport .21 at the Nats this year and will be adding a muffler to the exhaust system but it would be easy to have it exposed as opposed to keeping it under the cowling. I do not want to do alot of modding on this boat for the one race.

Please help

Robert Holland
Sorry I did not see this post sooner. I had stopped following this thread as far as I'm concerned we have the issue fixed for the Nationals and are going to fix it for good right after the Nats. As far as the NAMBA rules it states "no exposed tuned pipes" so while I don't like it personally, yes an exposed muffler will be allowed at the nationals as it is not a tuned pipe. I would like to change the rules to read no exposed exhaust systems but that is not how the rule reads now. It is important that we not exceed the 92 dB limit so please make sure you use the muffler you will be legal.

Robert Holland

Sorry I did not see this post sooner. I had stopped following this thread as far as I'm concerned we have the issue fixed for the Nationals and are going to fix it for good right after the Nats. As far as the NAMBA rules it states "no exposed tuned pipes" so while I don't like it personally, yes an exposed muffler will be allowed at the nationals as it is not a tuned pipe. I would like to change the rules to read no exposed exhaust systems but that is not how the rule reads now. It is important that we not exceed the 92 dB limit so please make sure you use the muffler you will be legal.

Ok Eric, my turn,

My Sport 21 has the exhaust exiting through the transom via a piece of silicone tubing. The tubing is 1/4 to 3/8 inch outside of the transom. Is this going to be a violation if the wording is changed to "no exposed exhaust systems"?

Don I can tell you this......it's amazing how little the rulebook actually gets read. I'm dealing with two situations that have popped up over the last few months where no one read the rule book and the rule had been there for quite some time. Or they are trying to assume what the rule intent is based upon one word leaving the door open to speculation when the rest of the rule is very clear about the intent. I can't speak to this particular issue because I do not know when the rule originally was written and whether it was there before Phil started marketing his hull. But I can say that the rule was there as of a 1995 printing of the book. So it is safe to say that there was at minimum 12 years that this could have been discovered. Just so happenes that it was found by some friends of mine in SoCal where there are not many SS45 hulls and they bought one and just happen to measure before they built it.....as any good scale guy would do....had to throw that in there.
Mike, I helped write the Impba rule book from the late 60's that was later transferred for use for the first Namba rule book. ---- I know what you mean.

Don Pinckert

Don,
What is your goal with your posts? Are you trying to help? I have to tell ya straight up.. your posts don’t look all that good in the "help us understand department" or ”help us solve department”

Looks to me ( please correct me if my wrong ) that you are just stirring the pot?

Grimracer
Grim, I was asked for feed in for the first draft of Sport 40 rules. Do you want my input or not?

Don Pinckert

Sure Don.. We are all open to helping out others.

But not like this:

Al, I should have changed my name to Jerry Crowther. To outlaw my boats, They enforced rules on me that 'everybody' else seemed exempt from. ------- Want to hear the stories?? ---- Yeah, I know: "Poor Donnie".

dp

OK.. lets get on with the helping part

Grim

Don,

Grimracer
Grim, When I decide to stir a pot, you will have NO DOUBT.

You want help? Here is your help. ---- I was asked for feed-in for the very first Sport 40 rules. -- In fact, I am the one to put the 1/8" max width on the air trap. This was simply to eliminate some wiseacre from slapping 1" widths that could be manipulated and shaped as rear sponson effect planing surfaces.

NO OTHER REASON. Good grief guys, Get Over It. ----

Don Pinckert

But not like this:

dp

Grim

But not like this:

dp

Grim
Grim, Another letter for my files - I will use it one day.

I LOVE IT WHEN A PLAN COMES TOGETHER.

Don Pinckert

Back