super tiger 18

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bob,

Its very good.. True ABC, double bushed rod, all ports in place (unlike Aua 18)

In the future I would like to do some head button work on it but past that point no changes.

The way the crank is setup its easy to put a back plate on it (just pull the pin and spring and install the back plate).

There is WAY to much hype regarding the OS line of engines.. yep OS makes some great motors but its not rocket science. Besides dollar per dollar the Super Tigre is a bunch of engine.

Grim

thanks for the info ,i was curious about the super tiger 18 because they made some really fast airplane motors....bob

Bob,

In the future I would like to do some head button work on it but past that point no changes.

The way the crank is setup its easy to put a back plate on it (just pull the pin and spring and install the back plate).

There is WAY to much hype regarding the OS line of engines.. yep OS makes some great motors but its not rocket science. Besides dollar per dollar the Super Tigre is a bunch of engine.

Grim
Grim,

Is there a back plate that is a direct fit?

Thanks,

Zach

Bob,

Grim
Not Grim Here But, Yes the re is a back plate for it and Tower Hobbies sells them.

Grim,

Is there a back plate that is a direct fit?

Thanks,

Zach

Cool,

Great price also.
wink.gif

Thanks,

Zach

bob,, these engines come stock in the miss vegas duece from aquacraft.... they are very nice engines,,, the port work in the sleeve is very nice... these engines seem to spin higher rpms than the aqua,,,, but i beleive they are lacking some torque... they will not spin as big of a prop as the aqua engines,,, but will spin a smaller one faster so its basicaly preference...tiger drive is cool,, pto set up is cool,,(no resistance like the aqua pto riding in the brass bushing) ,,,nice over all engine... imho is on the heavy side and i still prefer the aqua... i would be interested in what your thinkin on the button grim... that sucker is perdy tight as it is.. bubble volume is way tighter than the aqua...

overall way better engineering on the super tigre,, hands down.... and im lovin the aquas bein aso cheap since the tigre's release....

alden

If you are buying without regard for staying in a certain class (IE have to buy a production engine to stay in RTR), then I would get the OS .18 CVRM. It is a bit more money, but it has been a good engine for me. I put one in my MV and it runs pretty consistent 40-42MPH in the older version of the hull.

To compare the AQ and Supertigre, I have seen folks talk about running a stock AQ engine at these speeds and a little higher in a hull with a sponson mod (low to mid 40s), and I have seen folks talk of similar speeds in the new deuce hull that has a sponson mod built in and has the supertigre as an OEM engine. With this in mind, it would seem that the AQ and super tigre have near the same capability....

Now to compare the AQ engine to the OS CVRM, the AQ engine would push the older version stock hull into the low 30s (compared to the CVRM's low 40s).

We (my family) have four MV hulls and a deuce. I have never got the deuce to run right. Between breaking the flex shaft, finding the collet running untrue, stripping the starter assembly on the engine, and finally figuring out that my carb was not opening all the way, as set from the factory, I have never had the deuce running to its full potential. So I am unable to speek of the supertigre's potential from personal experience.

Sean

Last edited by a moderator:
I semi agree with Sean B. The os 18's are stout engines, the tz does make a lot of power and torque. I really like the supertigre. It is a great engine. Compared to the aqu 18, it solidly puts the duece in the 40's. Due to my own inexperience, my ST bearing let loose too soon, but I did gps at 44mph. THe bearing damaged was pretty bad...a ball bearing piece broke and found its way to the combustion chamber and embeded it self in the head button and left an imprint on the piston. My inexperience (hmmm, why is my engine starting...crank...hmm why isn't the starter moving? I just charged my battery (lipo 11.2v... crank..grind) may have ruined the engine more. I used 1/2 gallon 50% through it and about 1/4 gallon of 60%. I gps'd the 44mph with the 50%. Anyway, if you are racing in an rtr class where they require factory engines, then the st is hard to beat. COmpared to the aqu 18, larger carb, larger crankshaft port diameter, super beefy rod (wish I can use this on other motor like the cvrm but different length) and strong sleeve. That bearing did more work to the piston but hardly scratched the sleeve lining.

For the money though, the aqu 18 is a steal at $50. But for $99, there's not a lot that can touch the ST 18. I am rebuilding my motor right now and upgrading the bearings.

Oh I did gps my cvrm and that motor with minimal tuning gps'd at 46mph with a octura 1440. Also, I noticed that the ST doesn't have the same amount of torque as the os 18's (cvrm,tz). It has a hard time turning an octura m435 3 blade which the os's have no issues with. One interesting observation regarding the motor internals is that the ST has the shortest rod length while the tz has the longest rod length (measured from eye to eye). The cvrm is a few mm shorter than the tz but still longer that the ST rod (The st is shortest but a whole lot meatier than the cvrm's. It looks as beefy as the tz rod). So, if rod length does play a role in low end torque, then it is understandable that with the shorter rod length the ST can't spin a big prop (it like the octure y535 or grim 36) but will spin a small prop fast. The longer rod engines can spin a larger diameter prop with good rpm. I have no clue why or maybe I messed something up, but that's my observation.

Oh, I just read camaro boys comment on not enough torque...so I'm not alone on that observation.

The st is a good engine for the money...you just need to baby those bearings...I learned the hard way.

Take care

Back