Sundower OB rigger

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XtremeRcBoats

Always wanted to try an OB rigger and last year bought one from a memebr of the forum. Shipping was a bit a hassle to the Netherlands but got it finished now and ready to run. Hope to test it tomorrow.

At first i'll use a modified k&b with silver bullet pipe. I'll also want to try my mac 21 with SPP pipe which is currently on my leecraft.

Many thanks to Jerry Dunlap for arranging the shipping ;) and Joe Monohan for all the emails with pictures and info on the Sundowner.

pic 1, pic 2, pic 3, pic 4, pic 5

Paul, Ran a sundowner in the early 90's. Then K&b 3.5 with 707 exhaust throttle was the ticket. Fun boat. I think NAMBA still has a class for them. Mostly run on west coast. Ray B) B)

Always wanted to try an OB rigger and last year bought one from a memebr of the forum. Shipping was a bit a hassle to the Netherlands but got it finished now and ready to run. Hope to test it tomorrow.

At first i'll use a modified k&b with silver bullet pipe. I'll also want to try my mac 21 with SPP pipe which is currently on my leecraft.

Many thanks to Jerry Dunlap for arranging the shipping ;) and Joe Monohan for all the emails with pictures and info on the Sundowner.

Very nice.....You will be amazed at how fast they are.....and how good they corner for an old design....

The El-Diablo's that I ran in the early 80's were very similar. K&B with a hogged out carb inlet, exhaust throttle and hogged out exhaust openings on a stock lower end....fast as anything available at the time.....

Paul, Ran a sundowner in the early 90's. Then K&b 3.5 with 707 exhaust throttle was the ticket. Fun boat. I think NAMBA still has a class for them. Mostly run on west coast. Ray B) B)
I had a 7.5 and a 3.5 both set up w/throttle exhausts. They hauled booty. Great runnng boats to play with. I doubt if they'd even come close to keepng up w/any current riggers and inboards on the market though today.

XtremeRcBoats,

word to the wise though. Are those 2-56 steering rods? I'd not only upgrade those to 4-40 rods, but I'd go w/two rods. Cut them in half and join them with a couple "O" collers. It'll handle the turns and the resistanance from the motor much better in the turns.

I have an El Diablo that is still new in the box. Any offers?
The rods are about 4/56, but thinking about changing it to something similar 4/40 (we use the metric system)

The rigger has been in the water but is was a bit rough today so i couldn't test it properly but i think it will be a lot of fun. Got a lot of positive reactions, most people saw an OB hydro for the first time

See the link for some shots of today including the sundower (sorry, text is only in Dutch but the pictures speak for them self): http://www.xtremercboats.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=8788

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, that water is 'way too rough for a little rigger! Great looking boat though.

On a slight tangent - anyone remember the el Tiburón OB rigger? Mid-80s I think, had a "Sport Hydro" look to it. Never saw one run, but it sure looked cool.

Xtremercboats that is a sharp looking Sundowner rigger you have when you built it did you build it exactly to the prints. I have about 4 copies for the same boat, but I haven't gotten around to building one yet. On the side rails for the tub how did you build yours. Maybe once I get caught up on the 2 inboard outriggers I am building I can get started on a sundowner hull for myself. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
Xtremercboats that is a sharp looking Sundowner rigger you have when you built it did you build it exactly to the prints. I have about 4 copies for the same boat, but I haven't gotten around to building one yet. On the side rails for the tub how did you build yours. Maybe once I get caught up on the 2 inboard outriggers I am building I can get started on a sundowner hull for myself. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Dave
Hi Dave,

i bought mine pre built so can't help you much on that. Email Joe Monohan from 707 specialties, he's the designer of the sundowner and can help you out. Laucnhing it is still a bit tricky but when it goes it's much fun. Good luck building it, you won't regret it.

707 specialties: http://home.earthlink.net/~namba707spec/

Dave, I sent Marty Slater (member IW) full size plans in Aug 06. Maybe he can make you a copy. Ray PS Cowl on its way. B) B)

Dave, I sent Marty Slater (member IW) full size plans in Aug 06. Maybe he can make you a copy. Ray PS Cowl on its way. B) B)
Thanks Ray, I'll let you know by PM once I receive it. While I was still in the Navy I was stationed in Long Beach, CA I meet a guy up at legg lake and he had an original copy from a kit he gave me then I took it to a print shop and had 4 extra copies made to use a working copies to keep from messing up the original copy. Again Thanks for the update on the cowling. Dave

Always wanted to try an OB rigger and last year bought one from a memebr of the forum. Shipping was a bit a hassle to the Netherlands but got it finished now and ready to run. Hope to test it tomorrow. At first i'll use a modified k&b with silver bullet pipe. I'll also want to try my mac 21 with SPP pipe which is currently on my leecraft.

Paul what do you run for a prop on your Sundowner? I have mine up and running, but I just can't seem to get it up on plane like it should, I have an Octura X440/3 prop on mine, but the engine loads up and stalls out before it can completely get up on plane. I was just wanting to find out what prop your boat runs on the best. So far the engine has been modified with an exhaust throttle, Tuned pipe, and the mods as per the blue prints, other than that it has the potiontial to get up and run just got to get the bugs worked out. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Dave

Always wanted to try an OB rigger and last year bought one from a memebr of the forum. Shipping was a bit a hassle to the Netherlands but got it finished now and ready to run. Hope to test it tomorrow. At first i'll use a modified k&b with silver bullet pipe. I'll also want to try my mac 21 with SPP pipe which is currently on my leecraft.

Paul what do you run for a prop on your Sundowner? I have mine up and running, but I just can't seem to get it up on plane like it should, I have an Octura X440/3 prop on mine, but the engine loads up and stalls out before it can completely get up on plane. I was just wanting to find out what prop your boat runs on the best. So far the engine has been modified with an exhaust throttle, Tuned pipe, and the mods as per the blue prints, other than that it has the potiontial to get up and run just got to get the bugs worked out. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Dave
99% of the Sundowners ran well with the Octura 1740/3blade.

Your boat should get right up with a X440.........Sounds like you may well have a set-up problem.

Raise the motor up and see if it unloads.

Your boat should get right up with a X440.........Sounds like you may well have a set-up problem.

Dave, Yup i used a 1740/3 or an ABC H4/H5/H6 but these where harder to launch the boat.

Dave, Yup i used a 1740/3 or an ABC H4/H5/H6 but these where harder to launch the boat.
Thanks for all the replies, Well I got my 1740/3 bladed prop all nicely balanced and polished to the boat out again for another test run, but all I can get it to do is a lot cavitation it tries to get up and nothing. As is all things in life I beleive that mother nature isn't going to give me much of a chance anymore this year to try and run my boat again. I did manage to get my big 11cc outboard outrigger up and running it almost looks like an over grown Sundowner hull the only down fall with it I don't thik that the turn fin is quite big enough for the boat because in the turns it pulls the right sponson out of the water. On my 3.5cc outrigger I had to use stainless steel to make the turn fin it is 1/16 inch thich would that have any thing to with the boat coming up on plane or not, if so what would be a good thichness for aluminum to use to make another one. Please let me know! Thanks Dave

Back