Suggestions to electrify a Nemesis

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

talonxracer

I have a Nemesis that I can no longer run due to noise issues with the MAC21, which has a Lawless lower and I can run by Fred's shop any time to get an adaptor to mount a motor to the Lawless lower. I also fly high performance electric sailplanes, so I am no stranger to high power brushless systems and lipo's. I do have a Neu 1515 1y that currently has no home, but it doesnt have to have the Neu.

What would you guys suggest for this boat?

Last edited by a moderator:
The racing right now is mostly P spec, that's with SV27 or Blackjack motors. They run about like a good 3.5 stock.

It will probably be a bullet with the NUE 1515. Its going to be difficult if not impossible to fit 4S2P in any of the 3.5 hulls especially the Nemises .Most likely you'll need 2P for much run time and to not damage the cells with the high amp draw .

I have an XT 460 with a NEU 1521 and I can just shoehorn 4S2P 5000s in it using 1 4S and 2-2S packs.

Maybe a 1509 or 1512 on 2S2P with a KV around 4500 -5000 . I have an old Bandit " Killer "I have a 1512 1D that runs pretty good , although I haven't run it much. And I can't run it long.

I have a Nemesis that I can no longer run due to noise issues with the MAC21, which has a Lawless lower and I can run by Fred's shop any time to get an adaptor to mount a motor to the Lawless lower. I also fly high performance electric sailplanes, so I am no stranger to high power brushless systems and lipo's. I do have a Neu 1515 1y that currently has no home, but it doesnt have to have the Neu.
What would you guys suggest for this boat?

Firstly send that lower unit to Kris Flynn to make the mods to it so its able to be a lower centre of gravity and mount that electric motor lower. Darin on here and myself will vouch for his workmanship and its well worth it.

the nemisis has those adjustable sponsons. You will have to make a new addition to the radio box so that the ESC and cells do not get wet. I dont think you will fit 4s/2p 5000 size cells under the cowl but it might be worth it. We run here 1p in Aus and its fast enought and not hurting the cells in the OBT. the 1515/1y will be plenty fast. On a mod villain S1 its been clocked at 90kmph, and super loose, so the extra length in the nemisis will help out heaps.

Troll through the threads for mod villains or VS1's and see what they do for radio boxes and position of the electronics and lay out your radio box accordingly.

The nemisis will rock as an electric. 4s/1p or 4s/2p. And the 1515/1y will be a great starting place with x440, 442, to x640, 642 props and. B)

Good luck with it hay.

If you want to find a new home for that Mac let me know also. :D

Dave

Firstly send that lower unit to Kris Flynn to make the mods to it so its able to be a lower centre of gravity and mount that electric motor lower. Darin on here and myself will vouch for his workmanship and its well worth it.
the nemisis has those adjustable sponsons. You will have to make a new addition to the radio box so that the ESC and cells do not get wet. I dont think you will fit 4s/2p 5000 size cells under the cowl but it might be worth it. We run here 1p in Aus and its fast enought and not hurting the cells in the OBT. the 1515/1y will be plenty fast. On a mod villain S1 its been clocked at 90kmph, and super loose, so the extra length in the nemisis will help out heaps.

Troll through the threads for mod villains or VS1's and see what they do for radio boxes and position of the electronics and lay out your radio box accordingly.

The nemisis will rock as an electric. 4s/1p or 4s/2p. And the 1515/1y will be a great starting place with x440, 442, to x640, 642 props and. B)

Good luck with it hay.

If you want to find a new home for that Mac let me know also. :D

Dave

Thnx guys, I have already started a new radio/battery box to mount on the Nemesis hull.

I got a chance to see Kris Flynn's modified lower, but it would be far easier for me to simply drop by Fred's shop and let him mod my lower rather than send it out, seeing he makes the Lawless lowers anyways.

I have a bunch of Neu 4s1p 2500's that I can reconfigure to 4s2p as well as a couple of Neu 4s1p 4900's.

I have several 1440's that are back cut with a 3.3" cup, how would these run?

to run in the Pspec class, what motors are you limited to, is it brand or by Kv?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a bunch of Neu 4s1p 2500's that I can reconfigure to 4s2p as well as a couple of Neu 4s1p 4900's.
I have several 1440's that are back cut with a 3.3" cup, how would these run?

to run in the Pspec class, what motors are you limited to, is it brand or by Kv?

And the MAC 21 that I have is a ported engine(by Andy) with zero time on it(sold the used one) along with the Cf pipe with a remote needle, if you are interested......
The spec boats are running the following motors: Aquacraft SV27 motor, UL-1 motor or Proboat BlackJack motor. Some clubs allow the HiMax 36-30-1500 which is essentially the proboat motor without the cooling jacket. All four can win with the right prop. the UL-1 is the highest kV of the four and most closely mirrors a 3.5 stock motor. The 4S 4900's are perfect for spec racing. I run a 42x55 back cut .090 and 3.7" cup on a VS-1 with a UL-1 motor. It's getting very close to maxing out the hull.

The spec boats are running the following motors: Aquacraft SV27 motor, UL-1 motor or Proboat BlackJack motor. Some clubs allow the HiMax 36-30-1500 which is essentially the proboat motor without the cooling jacket. All four can win with the right prop. the UL-1 is the highest kV of the four and most closely mirrors a 3.5 stock motor. The 4S 4900's are perfect for spec racing. I run a 42x55 back cut .090 and 3.7" cup on a VS-1 with a UL-1 motor. It's getting very close to maxing out the hull.

If only the UL-1 was available :( , I would consider it, but they are not in stock till after mid july.

If only the UL-1 was available :( , I would consider it, but they are not in stock till after mid july.
Be sure to check the Electric forums every now and then. Those moters pop up every now and then.

I broke out the drafting table and then cut out a new radio/battery box for the Nemesis. So far without assembly, it still weighs less than the original radio box/retainer and tank/transom support that it was originally equipped with. I should be able to fit any battery combo in there. And yes the cowl fits over it, but I have already started on a plug to pop out a more conventional cowl for the Nemesis.

IMG_0976.jpg

Awesome, Please keep us up to date with plenty of pics. I am really interested to see how this turns out! Mike

Awesome, Please keep us up to date with plenty of pics. I am really interested to see how this turns out! Mike
Here is a mod that I did to the sponson way back when I first constructed it, I swapped out the rear 12 1/2" of the bottom plywood sheeting for a 1/16" CF plate. The CF plate will retain a knife edge on the inner corner sharp enough to cut skin. And what is better it is almost impossible to damage that knife edge. I have hit turtles, sticks and all sorts of floating debris and not a scratch. There is absolutely no give to it at all.

IMG_0983.jpg

I picked up a new Neu 1515 2d today(swapped a used F5B glider geared Neu motor for it), so I just need to get it mounted to my Lawless lower and finish the radio/battery box. The box is coming along very well, I should have it completed by this weekend.

I dug around in my tool box and found a sharpened 437/3, 440/3, and two 1440's along with a raw 440/3. I think the 440/3 should be a decent prop to start with from what I have read.

I finished the radio/battery box last night. I used the holes for the cowl posts to screw the center section down to the building bench to make sure it stayed nice and flat. The new radio box is dove tailed on to retain as much strength as possible. Then this morning I applied a coat of West Systems 105/207. The addition of the radio/battery box really stiffened up the center section tremendously!

I plan on cutting out a dedicated electric center section that has the box even more integrated to the structure next week.

IMG_0987.jpg

IMG_0986.jpg

Here is the motor mountd on the lower, cooling lines installed, steering installed, I still have to add a few inches to the ESC wires to reach the motor and not be overly tight.

IMG_0992.jpg

And the steering servo mounted, still have to add connectors to this end of the cables.

IMG_0993.jpg

And here it is with the cowling placed over it.

IMG_0991.jpg

I had stopped by the hobby shop to grab a few more 4900 Lipo's and they had a water jacket for the NEU 1515 so I grabbed it. After getting home I ran some 800 grit paper on the outside to remove the machine marks and then broke out the billet polish so it would match my hand polished Lawless lower(long winters LOL). The one item I need(but forgot, need to make lists) are a few Deans Ultra connectors to get her on the water.

IMG_0996.jpg

After getting the batteries in the boat and checking the Cg, the steering servo needed to be moved way forward so the batteries could be moved forwards. The receiver is all the way to the front. the steering cables are overtop of the bottom three packs(4x 2s1p), this places the cg right at 10". I will be using a CC BEC. I had a chance to power her up and everything is fine, the Hydra120 didnt smoke check or anything nasty, but what a pain it was to program(a operator issue rather than a ESC issue),,,LOL I plan on making a different servo mount tomorrow morning and mount the switch as well, then she is ready to get wet! I cant wait!

IMG_0998.jpg

IMG_0999.jpg

Latest posts

Back