Sub-surface bouy creation

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkScott

The Cincy club bouys have been floating for a few years and it is time to replace what worked, but was a pain to deal with. The old had hooks on the anchor line spaced about 3" apart. Some had three while others had two. Pool noodles ziptied for floatation was iffy if boats ran over the bouy, cutting the noodles up. The real pain was depth. The Cincy pond changes throughout the year. So a new process needed to be thought up. Why they picked me to come up with this idea is beyond me. But this is a first attempt. I've thought of other ideas to make it better, but hey, it's on the club's dime.

3.5 gallon plastic bucket.
sb1.JPG

Roughly 8" circle drawn on
sb2.JPG

Dremel cutoff wheel.
sb3.JPG

1" x 6" aluminum
sb4.JPG

Clamcleat from the local sailboating store. $4.99 each.
sb5.JPG

Clamp on plate with bend marked out.
sb6.JPG
Drill press for holes:
sb7.JPG

Bucket handle, plastic removed.
sb8.JPG

Screwdriver in vise, bend handle together.
sb9.JPG

Use the vice to squeeze nearly shut
sb010.JPG

Squeezed closed.
sb011.JPG
About 4" down, time to bend.
sb012.JPG
Once
sb013.JPG
Ready
sb014.JPG
Twice
sb015.JPG

Ready for the cleat, plate and handle to be assembled.
sb016.JPG
Top:
sb017.JPG

Close up
sb018.JPG
Back side
sb019.JPG

Drill the handle hole thru the bucket
sb020.JPG

Handle inserted into holes. Excess is bent so it can't exit out either side.
sb021.JPG

Floatation time. 1 1/2" drainage pipe
sb022.JPG
2 part foam
sb023.JPG

Pipe / clinch in place
sb024.JPG

Anchor rope from bottom, looped up with a weight added to keep excessive below surface level. End of rope is tied to a hole in the bucket.
sb025.JPG

Small piece of pool noodle to help locate rope.
sb026.JPG

There is a test bouy already at the lake. Holding on to the anchor line, pushing down on the bouy under water, when the bouy wants to rise, the clamcleat locks the rope in place. The aluminum plate is bent. This is to assist in unlocking the rope. While holding on to the anchor line, a pole will be used to push the plate (rope towards bucket) will unlock the rope. The bucket will rise on it's own.

Thought I'd pass this along.

**** that’s super simple. When I made the sub surfaces for the bouys for the Gas Nat at Sellarsburg I did a square chunk of foam and glue big pipe of pvc in the middle.

Yesterday, the club spent the time to string out the 1/3 mile course. Winter ice moved a couple of the concrete blocks used for weight. The old bouys were pulled and new setup put in place. All day event this was. The 1/4 mile course will be done before the Oct time trials come around. With doing 11 sub-bouys, spent under $150 to do the job.

Back