strut on transom

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jinxjx

hi, when not running in namba or impba, would it hurt anything to have the strut mounted on the transom of a sport 40?...thanks..

jinxjx said:
hi, when not running in namba or impba, would it hurt anything to have the strut mounted on the transom of a sport 40?...thanks..
105952[/snapback]

:lol: HEY it would be easier just to hang a 7.5 OB on the back of the sport40, no motor mount to install, no shaft to install, Less holes to drill. Long as you dont race it who cares... :lol:

PHIL T

That ticket on your windshield is for having an illegal SP-40 ( strut on transom) Code 14 Section 3C of the vehicle code. Don't worry pay the fine and spend 4 Saturdays at traffic school and it won't go on your record. :lol: :lol:

i'm not running in namba or impba!! i'm just running in a small local club to have fun! and if you think i need an outboard on the back of your sport 40, it must be really screwed up phil!!!! i'm just asking a question about the strut on the transom...thanks..

Last edited by a moderator:
jinxjx said:
i'm not running in namba or impba!! i'm just running in a small local club to have fun! and if you think i need an outboard  on the back of your sport 40, it must be really screwed up phil!!!! i'm just asking a question about the strut on the transom...thanks..
106015[/snapback]

I really doubt Phil's sport 40 boat is really screwed up. :D Not sure where you're from, but the one reason I can think of that you might want to build the boat to NAMBA or IMPBA specs is in case you ever decide to enter a sanctioned race, or sell the boat. Other than this, do whatever you want.

piper_chuck said:
jinxjx said:
i'm not running in namba or impba!! i'm just running in a small local club to have fun! and if you think i need an outboard  on the back of your sport 40, it must be really screwed up phil!!!! i'm just asking a question about the strut on the transom...thanks..
106015[/snapback]

I really doubt Phil's sport 40 boat is really screwed up. :D Not sure where you're from, but the one reason I can think of that you might want to build the boat to NAMBA or IMPBA specs is in case you ever decide to enter a sanctioned race, or sell the boat. Other than this, do whatever you want.

106017[/snapback]

I know Sport 40 boats are stand off scale but have you looked at full sized Lights and GP hydros lately most have there struts mounted on the transom.

Maybe time to look at a rule change!

jinxjx said:
106015[/snapback]

HA IM JUST HAVING SOME FUN. It would be screwed up if you tried that.

Do you have one of my Supersport45 boats to setup?

I think that it would be in our best interest to answer the gentleman's question based on the way he asked it.

As long as your local club does not hava problem with it, set it up the way you want with the strut off the transom and go have fun. No, it would not hurt to do so.

Believe it or not everyone, not all insured members of model boating organizations are racers who race district events. Many are in it for the insurance coverage only.

Mr. jinxix has no interest in racing NAMBA or IMPBA and we didnt help the cause by answering in circles.

Al Waters

NAMBA Vice President

NAMBA Scale Unlimited Chairman

Dang you Don............... you are always hiding around the corner on me :D

......I have to find the other thread and tell everyone how your 40 boat whipped my tail all over the place at the last race. But at least I got you a little nervous on the that first turn in the last heat........ :rolleyes:

I am running the Sport 20 at the Nats in NH. Its not your kind of speed but it ran. Prather 215 with the AB quiet pipe set at 8 5/8ths from the center of the plug. I have never run a pipe that short in the past on anything.

PS......and the name is..................... Miss Doggy Doo! ;)

Al Waters

NAMBA Vice President

NAMBA Scale Unlimited Chairman

Sorry for having a giggle. The phil boat MOST likely will behave well no matter where you put the strut, BUT if you put it where no one else puts it AND you have a problem, there won't be anybody in the same situation to help you with suggestions on one of these internet boards. I have a phil SP40II, it doesn't like to turn left. To lower the nose, lowering the strut won't help IF the strut is level and you run a low lift prop (like an X-series or Prather) the strut must have some negative kick or the nose will bury the prop instead of the prop riding up and lowering the nose. If you have good speed, you will need to lower the nose. Put the rudder where he tells you. Keep as much weight as you can up front. Oh yeh, one other suggestion---- don't call your boat "Doggy Doo", that's plain disgusting! This info only applies to Nitro 45 power, ain't got a clue about e-power. Rule change about the strut was proposed and submitted to the general NAMBA membership a couple of years ago, it was voted down. Rudy

One thing about mounting the strut on the transom. This is the way that I put mine on when building my Sport 40 except my strut bracket is on the inside. I see that most of you like to bolt the brackets to the floor of yours but I didn't like the idea of 4 bolts hanging out under the bottom.

With his setup, I don't see why not if he ever decides to sell the boat that it couldn't easily be made IMPBA/NAMBA legal without a great deal of hassle.

We'll leave putting on an outboard to JD, I was kind of expecting that when he got his Sport 20! :D

Ron Olson said:
One thing about mounting the strut on the transom. This is the way that I put mine on when building my Sport 40 except my strut bracket is on the inside. I see that most of you like to bolt the brackets to the floor of yours but I didn't like the idea of 4 bolts hanging out under the bottom.With his setup, I don't see why not if he ever decides to sell the boat that  it couldn't easily be made IMPBA/NAMBA legal without a great deal of hassle.

We'll leave putting on an outboard to JD, I was kind of expecting that when he got his Sport 20! :D

106498[/snapback]

Hi Ron, Just a small bit-o-info, I remember Mark Anderson posting on here a while back saying "I didn't see any performance difference with the strut on the back vs strut out the bottom", and I'm inclined to believe him.

Actually the "bolts hanging out the bottom" is not gonna have any adverse affect unless they're over an inch long :blink: That part of the boat isn't that close to the water at running speed.

Did you get your 40 running better?

Back