Strakes for monohulls ?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riggerman

Hi all always was interested on different shapes and placement configurations of strakes on the bottoms of mono's. I myself have installed strakes cut to the angle of hull vee so when installed looking from the stern looks parralell to deck my reason being i believe it will create lift at that location. I have noticed some mono's having triangular shape strakes when looking from stern forward .What is the purpose of triangular strakes? Another configuration i have seen forget which mono 1/8''x 1/4'' rectangular strips .What would this shape achieve? What about strake placement in relation from the keel where the strake starts and where it terminates and 1 strake or 3 strakes on each side of the hull.What factors determine this scenario? Regards Andris Golts.

Strakes give you lift. Most new hulls dont have them to the transom anymore.

" Strakes: Raised portions on the hull that run parallel to the keel from the stern forward. Strakes help the hull to plane and also help keep the hull from side slipping when turning. Normally there are 2 external strakes (also know as chines), for lower speeds, and 2 inner strakes, for higher speeds. On fun boats those strakes can run for the entire length of the boat, possibly causing excessive lift. On faster boats they are short, because excess lift causes lateral movement and loss of stability.

"

taken from modelpowerboats.com a good place for general rc boat info.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back