Still no new 1600 props!?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay Boyd

After speaking with Tom from Octura this weekend in Michigan it seems he has no plans to make any new sized 1600 series props.(1645,1647,etc.) I tried!

Keeps pushing the M series....every time I ask!

Last edited by a moderator:
Jay Boyd said:
After speaking with Tom from Octura this weekend in Michigan it seems he has no plans to make any more 1600 series props.(1645,1647,etc.) I tried! Keeps pushing the M series....every time I ask!

102142[/snapback]

Do you mean none period or just no new sizes? :blink:

-Buck-

Speaking of Octura, anyone know of an online source for a completely updated prop list? Latest version I have is like 1998, and I know there's been new ones since then. An ABC listing would be cool, too... info I have here is at least 6 years out of date...lol Ran some searches, really didn't come up with what I was looking for..

Jay,

I've been running a cut down 1650 for three years now. It works VERY well, but takes alot of work to get it right.

I started calling Tom at Octura last year about the same thing. I've talked to him on three occasions and got the same reply you got all three times. He just suggests we try the M646. I told him I don't want an M646, that I like the way the 1657 works on my 45 hydro, and a 1645 would be a perfect addition to the 16xx series props. Hell, I even called Andy Brown and got his "thumb print" on the suggestion. I don't get it. I even told Tom that Jim Sheaffer of ABC props is willing to make virtually any prop suggested, and it seems to fall on deaf ears.

Quite a while back, I posted that I'd like to see a 1645 prop from Octura, and asked anyone interested to call Tom and push him for one. I'll ask again. If you'd like to see Octura step up and fill the demand, give Tom a call. Tell him that the M646 is not what you're after. All you guys that are cutting down and pitching up the H7, or pitching up the 1445, the 1645 could possibly be the prop your looking for.

Thanks. Brad.

Titan Racing Components

BlackJack Hydros

David Homer said:
Speaking of Octura, anyone know of an online source for a completely updated prop list?  Latest version I have is like 1998, and I know there's been new ones since then.  An ABC listing would be cool, too... info I have here is at least 6 years out of date...lol  Ran some searches, really didn't come up with what I was looking for..
102182[/snapback]

David, I have new guys at our club asking for prop charts and I'm almost

ashamed to give them the old Octura charts I have, would like something

updated myself? I really haven't searched but if you find something new

on Octura, let me know. Prather props I have little on also, but I do have

ABC prop chart latest; http://www.abcprops.com/

Boaters,

One of my favorite propeller charts is at:

http://www.xtremercboats.com/tech/propchart.htm

I hope it still works,

As far as Tom making a 1645, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it. I don't

think Tom really cares to much about nitro boaters much anymore,he seems

to be running with the fast electric crowd these days. :D

Mark Sholund

I've found several Octura prop charts online, but the only M series prop is the 447.... Obviously there are more sizes available. I also know some props that were only available in plastic have been made available in beryllium (1445, etc.) Can't seem to find info reflecting the more recent updates... Maybe what I'll have to do is make a phone call or write a letter.... just seems to me Octura could really benefit from a website/online catalog....

On the other hand... that ABC list has really grabbed my interest.... especially those new heat race props... there's some diameter/pitch combos there I wouldn't mind trying on the back of my mono....lol might save me a lot of shaping and grinding.... Yeah, they're a bit pricey, but by the time I buy an Octura prop and figure in the value of my time cutting and tweaking.... and trial and error (read scrap)... time to save up the gig money.....lol.....

David Homer said:
I've found several Octura prop charts online, but the only M series prop is the 447....  Obviously there are more sizes available.  I also know some props that were only available in plastic have been made available in beryllium  (1445, etc.)  Can't seem to find info reflecting the more recent updates... Maybe what I'll have to do is make a phone call or write a letter.... just seems to me Octura could really benefit from a website/online catalog....
On the other hand... that ABC list has really grabbed my interest.... especially those new heat race props...  there's some diameter/pitch combos there I wouldn't mind trying on the back of my mono....lol  might save me a lot of shaping and grinding....  Yeah, they're a bit pricey, but by the time I buy an Octura prop and figure in the value of my time cutting and tweaking.... and trial and error (read scrap)...  time to save up the gig money.....lol.....

102512[/snapback]

David,

I found a catalog site. http://www.pirespreto.com/octura_catalog.htm

As for the latest prop chart for all sizes, I was told by a very good source to

call Octura for a full prop chart. PM me for more details.

Guys,

Back to the topic at hand...........

I spoke to Jim at ABC Props today about this issue. We discussed adding a new prop to HIS line-up, since Tom at Octura seems to have fallen deaf. If you do the math, a 1645 would have a diameter of 45mm (1.772") and a pitch of 72mm (2.835"). These numbers are very close to the current H-10, but the H-10 has a greatly reduced blade area. Jim and I discussed a new "H" series prop that would have the above mentioned numbers. We're basically talking about an H-7 (for conversation sake), cut down to 45 mm, and pitched up to 72-73mm (true pitch, NOT cupped, just like the 16xx series props). The only problem is that he'd need an order of at least 50 props to justify the cost of a new mold. How many of you 21 hydro guys would be willing to commit to one or two if Jim were to commit to a new prop? I'm in for at least two....

Thanks. Brad.

Titan Racing Components

BlackJack Hydros

Brad,

I'm an ABC dealer and I'm sure I could sell 50 of them. I will give Jim a

call and get the propeller spinning. :lol: I will keep you updated when they

are available. In the meantime try a H-10 they work quite well. :D

Thanks,

Mark Sholund

Mark,

I figured that between you, Andy and a few other "prop guys", plus (what seems like) quite a few individuals that are interested, we could get the first 50 sold fairly easily........

I agree about the H-10, but I think we have more power at our disposal than the H-10 can harness. Upon actually browsing the ABC prop charts, I see that the H-10 has MORE pitch than a 1645 would have, but I think the reduced blade area is letting too much water slip past and leaking some of the power that we're getting from our newer, modified 21 engines. I'm thinking something more along the lines of a full bladed (as far as blade area) H-7, slightly reduced in diameter, but with the pitch of the H-10, or maybe a bit more. HMMMM??........

If we can get Jim to commit to this, I'll get in contact with him again and we'll discuss it in more detail. I've got an Octura 1650, cut down to 43.5mm and no cup work, that I can send to Jim for him to use as a model, as long as I get it back (I know what he's done to a few Octura props in the past.....) This prop has worked very well for me, but the diameter is a bit too small for consistant hook-up in roughed-up, heat race water.

Thanks. Brad.

Titan Racing Components

BlackJack Hydros

Brad,

If you are pulling an H-10 real easy, try shortening your pipe a little more

and then tell me how the H-10 is working for you? I think a reduced H-7

would be great, I wouldn't spend so much time cutting them down. It would

be a GREAT PROPELLER at 46.50mm.

Thanks,

Mark Sholund

Mark, if Jim makes them, sign me up for 5 please!

Guys,

I just fired off an E-Mail to Jim at ABC stating the following:

What we are looking for is 47mm diameter, 75mm average pitch, 10% pitch progression (MAX), no cup, with the same basic blade profile as the H-7, plus about .075" additional hub length and blade root.

Sound about right?

Thanks. Brad.

Titan Racing Components

BlackJack Hydros

Brad,

I don't think you will be able to run 10% pitch progression. Have you

measured your 1657 and 1650's lately? I will be talking to Jim on

Monday, to get the right propeller in the works.

Thanks,

Mark Sholund

Latest posts

Back