steve muck circus circus 1/8th scale

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GOTTI

hello again, i have a steve muck circus circus fiberglass scale hydro. its powered by an old ops .65. my question is what is a good prop to start out with? the boat never really comes on pipe (mac tunepipe). i was told to run the motor rich (sounds like a 4 stroke). i also run 20% nitro. do marine engines require higher nitro? how do you really tune these inboards when there is no load on the motor? also should the carb be open just alittle when you launch or open a little more for higher revs? please give me advice. thank you in advance.

I could probably give you some advice on the ops. I have run them for years but they have made many versions old red heads, gold heads, newer red heads etc. any numbers or info would help. The pipe should be about 11 inches from the glow plug to the large part of the pipe when using a ops high nitro pipe. These motors can handle 50% fuel no problem. I,m not familier with the muck hull but the prop I always start out with on .65 hydro's is a octura x460 2blade. 80% of the time thats what ends up staying on after I go through my prop box. As far as tuning goes you just have to run it and keep leaning it until it starts coming on the pipe.Its a proccess that can take several trips to the pond and cause alot of rowing! Greg Roth :)

The Muck hulls are very heavy but run good. The 460 would be to much prop for that hull and an OPS .65 unless you really cut it back. I'd try a well balanced Octura X-457 two blade as well as a three blade. When you set the strut in place it's ideal if you can get it to be one drive dog past the rear transom, this way the prop can go up high or low and not rub the rear transom.

If you have a spare pipe to test I found you could get this combo to run anywhere from 10 1/2 to 11 inches. I measure from the tip of the glow plug to the fatest part of the pipe where you pressure fitting should be on your pipe to set this length.

If you can go up to 50% that'll be better or anything higher as well, 20% is just a little light in nitro content to get the revs you'll need to power this beast.

Also, the launch is more important than the revs, make sure you get a good flat launch w/the nose slightly tilted up, kinda like a bowling throw. As it hits the water excellerate to keep the nose from plowing under the water and submarinng.

Good Luck!

I WOULD GO WITH 50 % FUEL RUN OCTURA X455 2 BLADE PROP PIPE AT 11.5 INCHES FROM THE SIDE OF THE ENGINE (CENTER NOT AT THE GLOW PLUG)TO THE HIGH SIDE OF THE PIPE MAKE SURE YOU ARE RUNNING PIPE PRESSURE AT THE FATEST PORTION OF THE PIPE. IF THE ENGINE SOUNDS LIKE A 4 CYCLE IT IS WAY TO RICH I ALSO LIKE K&B LONG HIGH PERFORMANCE GLOW PLUGS ALSO A 2 OZ HOPPER TANK WOULD BE VERY USEFULL.

4-EST PERFORMANCE said:
I WOULD GO WITH 50 % FUEL RUN OCTURA X455 2 BLADE PROP PIPE AT 11.5 INCHES FROM THE SIDE OF THE ENGINE (CENTER NOT AT THE GLOW PLUG)TO THE HIGH SIDE OF THE PIPE MAKE SURE YOU ARE RUNNING PIPE PRESSURE AT THE FATEST PORTION OF THE PIPE. IF THE ENGINE SOUNDS LIKE A 4 CYCLE IT IS WAY TO RICH I ALSO LIKE K&B LONG HIGH PERFORMANCE GLOW PLUGS ALSO A 2 OZ HOPPER TANK WOULD BE VERY USEFULL.
79951[/snapback]

wow! very usefull info. more help then my local clubs. thank you. i will try your advice. yes the hull is very heavy. i understand an average 1/8th scale should be in the 14 pound range? i wish there was some draw instructions on how to set up a hopper tank.

also on the steve muck hull the cowling does not keep water out from getting inside. any advive for this? the cowl basically sits on top of the deck. i use a single pin up front and cabinet latches in the back.

Try placing a sponge under the carb..That will help a little..If you can put a little lip around the front of the tub passed the back of the engine ..This will help to keep out the water...

I've seen guys run beads of silicone along the under portion of the cowling. But, it looks hookie. Can you put a picture of it up on the oard?

Back