State of Affairs for RC Boat Racing

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you know it is intimidating going to a race for the first time.

I remember my first race 7 years ago. No one knew who the heck I was. Just showed up out of no where with my boat.

First time I ever ran the boat with any one around but my self.

I remember the words that push me to go................

Don't think about it just go to the race.................................

Well thy all knew me after that race............
default_unsure.png

Was that crazy fast new guy that don't know how to drive.......................
default_laugh.png

Took some time for the guys to warm up to me. But after a few races it was like I knew them my whole life.

For get about the clicks and the big trailers with stacks of boats. It means nothing in the long run.

Plenty of people with just a pop up and one table with a boat on it at the races.
You just NAILED IT!! Thats the DEAL! GOOD JOB!

Putting aside club politics. Why don't some of the clubs get with a local hobby shop and have a show and tell. Maybe in a mall. Let folks know about the hobby. Show your boats. Show your pride in your chosen hobby. Just my 2 cents.
Absolutely, hobby shops are far and few between, but we (Voodoo) have taken a few boats to some local car shows, which garnered some interest. A "motorhead" is a motorhead, lol.
Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

My first contact with RC boating was right here on IW from word of mouth................

This is the best tool to promote the hobby..........

Spread the word and get more involved in IW............It is one of the best proponents of RC boating.............

To all those out there looking at this don't be afraid of the big bad wolf.........he is just a blow hard.........LOL

Come out and join the fun at a club or just join one of the stationing bodies.....NAMBA/IMPBA and get involved.

Come to a race and check out the action............You can't learn unless you do it.....................

"JUST DO IT"

My first contact with RC boating was right here on IW from word of mouth................

This is the best tool to promote the hobby..........

Spread the word and get more involved in IW............It is one of the best proponents of RC boating.............

To all those out there looking at this don't be afraid of the big bad wolf.........he is just a blow hard.........LOL

Come out and join the fun at a club or just join one of the stationing bodies.....NAMBA/IMPBA and get involved.

Come to a race and check out the action............You can't learn unless you do it.....................

"JUST DO IT"
SPOT ON !!!

I came to my first race ever to just watch - at Brandon , prob 13-14 years ago-The weekend before I rode out to the lake, just to make sure I knew where it was.

I met Rod Hendrix there while he was practicing alone with a Gas Rigger. He let me come up on the stand with him while he ran laps - I was hooked before I walked off the stand. The next weekend, I came to the 2 day Dist race, I got an idea of what classes I thought where cool, and fast - and went for it.Had it not been for Gene Mongar running in my class- and the help from Jerry C @ Seaducer - I would have been more clueless than I was the day I showed up to " check it out first " , not to mention still slower than watching water boil. thank you btw to you both. You both made me a better racer with your help and consideration to grow the hobby.

Dave I remember the first time you showed up at Brandon to race- (good ole 666- ) your chit was wicked fast- but out of control fast -
default_wink.png

You had a mindset , and still do - that loose fast is good- thats your deal and I respect that now that I figured out what you plan was, I laughed at the time. My point being is, show up , meet the club - figure out what you want to run and seek a mentor. The rest will take care of itself- btw, dont bury your nose in the politics , want a fast way to ruin your fun , thats it imho.

Those that know me will say the same
default_laugh.png
Catch 22 right - get involved and help out - be active and DONT get into the politics - easier said than done when you actually CARE.

On a side note- dont overthink it- run what you can afford and be as competitive as you can and what your wallet allows you. Dont sweat

the rest and its simple. ...JUST HAVE FUN

Clear as mud right ?
default_rolleyes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember that first race a Brandon I went to. You and pickles where pointing at me "That's that guy on IW with the Dog pic"

Remember saying ya that's me watch this ****........................................LOL

Bin friends ever since. All the BS means nothing in the long run.....................................

Still remember when Marty asked me over Norms place to work on boats. Was amazed that he asked me. It was a honor to me to be asked.

Still remember him asking me to be part of the team. I told him I gust wanted to run my boat .

Looking back on it I think I insulted him. But he still took the time to give me every thing he had on his computer to help me out.

That is what it is all about right there in my eyes.............

To many think that the hobby is about the competition.

It is just so much more than that. The shared interest in pushing your self to your horizons is what it is for me.

I think this shared interest has got lost some where along the way a little.

Time to call all the Seaducer out and whoop there buts again ........LOL

Now that was a fun race.....................

What needs to happen in our hobby is some changes in the rule in Namba we add new classes when we need to reduce classes and update the race format. Racing an 8 race year long series and everybody points racing just sucks we need to race every race all out to attract new people. Nobody comes to a race to watch follow the leader racing they want action and passing. Not take lane one and cruise to victory that isn't racing. If you don't believe look at Nascar ratings and now it's hurting the bottom line and they say lets change rules to promote better racing.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Namba needs to reduce classes make it open mono, cat, hydro, rigger

Pill draw for lane one

Now slow starts boats need to be on plane leaving turn two. So no 2 mph starts

Each race is a stand alone race so no points racing all season. You run your stuff hard for the overhaul win and season end those winner race for the trophy. This will also cut cost if you cann't race all season the races you run you better win to be in the last race shoot out. Now in Namba the point racer never change positions after the 4th race.

Its a lot like Nascar you win you in weather you race all season or one race

Wayde,

You have a good point on the lane one scenario. Sometimes All the racing is for lane one before the race begins. I don't like having to cut someone off to get lane one. It just feels like cheating. After the start you just watch the leader make 6 laps with a boat or two following. especially in the gas classes where so many of the boats are running the same engines and hulls and props. Lane one wins it in most cases here in District 12. It is fun to pass, not fun to do a quick 6 laps. Right on. Draw a pill......works for me. I sometimes start late just to have the fun of trying to pass someone. If the slower boats win the inside lane by some sort of short straw pick that makes it more interesting. Driving trough traffic shows real skill and makes the race interesting. Put 6 numbers in a hat and the first three get to start in lanes one two and three. The rest follow behind on the start. Then it is race time. I figure three boats are easy enough to keep up with on the start. Any more would be just too confusing. I like it!

I remember that first race a Brandon I went to. You and pickles where pointing at me "That's that guy on IW with the Dog pic"

Remember saying ya that's me watch this ****........................................LOL

Bin friends ever since. All the BS means nothing in the long run.....................................

Still remember when Marty asked me over Norms place to work on boats. Was amazed that he asked me. It was a honor to me to be asked.

Still remember him asking me to be part of the team. I told him I gust wanted to run my boat .

Looking back on it I think I insulted him. But he still took the time to give me every thing he had on his computer to help me out.

That is what it is all about right there in my eyes.............

To many think that the hobby is about the competition.

It is just so much more than that. The shared interest in pushing your self to your horizons is what it is for me.

I think this shared interest has got lost some where along the way a little.

Time to call all the Seaducer out and whoop there buts again ........LOL

Now that was a fun race.....................
I was very happy to talk to and work with someone with the questions that you had. That is one of my favorite things in the hobby, someone that wants to learn things. I love to learn and after so many years, I still believe that I am just starting to learn. Never was insulted for sure....
default_smile.png

Wayde,

You have a good point on the lane one scenario. Sometimes All the racing is for lane one before the race begins. I don't like having to cut someone off to get lane one. It just feels like cheating. After the start you just watch the leader make 6 laps with a boat or two following. especially in the gas classes where so many of the boats are running the same engines and hulls and props. Lane one wins it in most cases here in District 12. It is fun to pass, not fun to do a quick 6 laps. Right on. Draw a pill......works for me. I sometimes start late just to have the fun of trying to pass someone. If the slower boats win the inside lane by some sort of short straw pick that makes it more interesting. Driving trough traffic shows real skill and makes the race interesting. Put 6 numbers in a hat and the first three get to start in lanes one two and three. The rest follow behind on the start. Then it is race time. I figure three boats are easy enough to keep up with on the start. Any more would be just too confusing. I like it!
John:

Back 15-20 years ago I decided to use a season to learn to pass on the outside. I gave up the start every heat and worked to learn how to drive really close to someone and stay that way through the turns. Was one of the best things I did to improve my driving skills. Still am thankful for doing that to date, only problem is that when you start getting some age, your skills diminish too.
default_blink.png

Marty,

My eyesight was really bad about 5 years ago and I could not hang on the buoys anymore.I went to the eye doctor and found out my left eye was so bad with cataracts that I was legally blind in that eye. The doctor sucked out the cataracts and put in new lenses where the cataracts were and I could see like a teenager again. I don't even need glasses for reading. Got the lenses that work for distance and reading. Technology is great! Wear those sunglasses all the time to prevent cataracts. Especially on the water.

John

John,

I could not agree with you more about passing front the back and giving slower boats lane one of they pill draw for it. I've been running boats for 20 plus years nitro , Gas , FE and over the last couple of years it become very obvious that in gas racing lane one is an advantage. Here in District 19 its the same guys always fighting for lane one and the years end point totals reflect that. Call me a race purist but what is the fun of running 6 fast laps and never racing the field. In sprint car racing you pill draw for the main even if you are the fastest car so you might start in the back and race thru the field. If you drive 200 to 300 miles to race I don't understand why you would not want to Race the field. So after 20 plus years of racing I've decided to sell off a lot if my stuff because it's not racing anymore it's lane selection so the " State of Affairs in racing " they better adjust they 30 plus year rules to attract boats and keep the boater we have because we have lost the excitement of racing

I find it interesting that some are pointing out the fight for lane 1 as the race with a parade after that. While there is a fair amount of truth to it, there are times when a faster boat, due to "mashing the gas", may not get as good of start because the engine loaded up during the "troll" to the line. I think part of the cure to this could be to adopt the H1 rule, barring the trolling start. Obviously, we're not going to hold a radar gun and a stopwatch on a boat going slowly to hold lane 1 but, maybe, watch the boats coming around turn four and penalizing any boat not obviously up on the sponson runners(hydroplanes) or plowing(vee hulls). The penalty could be a time penalty added at the end or an extra lap. Again, obviously, this is something that could be controversial and/or "subject to interpretation and may, in the end, not work at all. In the case of H1, being off plane for more than 5 seconds is a one lap penalty, as was assessed to Greg Hopp in Tri-Cities back in 2000. That penalty cost him the win in the final, giving the trophy to Mark Evans in the Elam.

I also agree with that and put that as point #2 in my rant. We in District 19 crawl to the line at 2-3 mph and before the tone start moving left to right to unload the prop while protecting lane one. I thought there was a rule about this in Namba but was told that was only for Scale boats must be on plane leaving turn two.

Trust me, it's all classes. Here is the scale hydro final heat from the 2014 Namba Nats posted on Youtube.

Watch from roughly the 2:15 mark until the start, notice how slow the boats are running when they approach the starting line

Too many classes? I don't believe offering a variety hurts anything, maybe offers more incentive to build. The reality is all classes are not offered at any one race. Members and clubs decide what's run in. Classes in the rule book are just guidelines.

Want to change and improve starts? Keep the existing finish line and move the start line to the turn exit buoy. (#10). Makes a much longer run to the first turn and will spread things out. Final lap milling will change where outside lanes have an equal chance with a head of steam and may be an advantage over fighting for a crowded lane one. Officiating will change and adapt. A camera on the line at the exit of the turn could help as a start judge could review before boats completed a lap. Drivers would not push as hard at a line not right in front of them. No advantage for anyone.

New members are not coming in to classes that cost $1000 plus per boat. Promote .21 & .40 classes with one day events.

Mic

Look at how old these rules are in Namba they need to be changed for gas if nothing else. We still run 6 laps and in the Nitro days that was fine and FE with gas we could go 10 if not more. Everybody is going to say we have records at 6 laps but we can have records at 10 -12 laps also plus increase battles for the first

Interesting video. In NAMBA you can cut the course during the mill to pick your lane position before the start??

Back