Start Clock

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BOBBYH

Could someone point me to a website or email me the plans, bill of materials etc.. to build a start clock. Analog or Digital. Thanks!

-Bobby

Contact John Equi at [email protected] he will have the information you need.

You might also consider an Audio clock lot less equipment for a start up club and you can take the CD with you to the lake with a boom box and practice your starts all day. You can get a CD from Grim Racer Mike Zambroski on this site.

I have never understood why anyone would use an floating clock instead of a audio clock. A driver cant look at a clock, so instead of all the drivers listening to one countdown, there are 7 voices counting down. As well as the added cost of a clock. Also its just one more floating object to get run into. Just my humble opinion.

Dale0 said:
I have never understood why anyone would use an floating clock instead of a audio clock. A driver cant look at a clock, so instead of all the drivers listening to one countdown, there are 7 voices counting down. As well as the added cost of a clock. Also its just one more floating object to get run into. Just my humble opinion.
69440[/snapback]

We have both and i like both..

The clock is cool because you dont need to hear.. the audio is cool because you dont need..... to..... see....... :blink:

OK before i say anymore dumb things i will shutup..

Grim

Randall Thomas' clock has the best of both worlds, a large digital readout,a choice of a male or female voice plus a strobe flash at zero. Costly but cool.

Dale0 said:
69440[/snapback]

Shazzam,a voice of reason out of the haze.Don't even try to confuse all the clock experts with facts.Not only are visual floating clocks expensive they are also an obstruction on the race course not to mention a bigtime maintenance pain in the ass.Floating visual clocks are also a safety hazzard and why our insurance carrier even allows us to use floating clocks is beyond me.

With a floating visual clock,the co-driver is rendered half useless during mill time and absolutely totally useless during the last 30 seconds before the start.The co-driver ends up glued to the clock and not the race course looking for obstructions and or safety hazzards.Just listen to the last 20 seconds before the start.All the co-drivers on the drivers stand will be counting down in unison..... 20,19,18,17,16,etc,etc,etc.You know exactly where their eyes are and it ain't looking for safety hazzards or dead boats.

Doesn't that just make you feel all warm and fuzzy with 7 "F" boats on the race course at full song.

Last but not least....Get the DB level down where you can hear the @#&%^$@ audio clock and make the neighbors and your ear drums happy also.

Last edited by a moderator:
The co-driver ends up glued to the clock and not the race course looking for obstructions and or safety hazzards.
EXACTLY! I had a couple cases where I did catch an accident before the start and as I guided my driver safely thru, I also threw him off the clock. Once the ones who were so attached to our clock left the club, we threw it away.

Geraghty said:
Dale0 said:
69440[/snapback]

Shazzam,a voice of reason out of the haze.Don't even try to confuse all the clock experts with facts.Not only are visual floating clocks expensive they are also an obstruction on the race course not to mention a bigtime maintenance pain in the ass.Floating visual clocks are also a safety hazzard and why our insurance carrier even allows us to use floating clocks is beyond me.

With a floating visual clock,the co-driver is rendered half useless during mill time and absolutely totally useless during the last 30 seconds before the start.The co-driver ends up glued to the clock and not the race course looking for obstructions and or safety hazzards.Just listen to the last 20 seconds before the start.All the co-drivers on the drivers stand will be counting down in unison..... 20,19,18,17,16,etc,etc,etc.You know exactly where their eyes are and it ain't looking for safety hazzards or dead boats.

Doesn't that just make you feel all warm and fuzzy with 7 "F" boats on the race course at full song.

Last but not least....Get the DB level down where you can hear the @#&%^$@ audio clock and make the neighbors and your ear drums happy also.

69453[/snapback]

yea.. but they are fun to race with....speaking from the haze that is. <_< ..... :D A different challenge if you will.. and i like the fact that you are more responsible for your race. The pit dude is important but I never make the pit dude the reason for the incident ..Whatever it might be.... if you hit one i.e. boat, clock, or shore.. better be thinking about your driving skills... if its a radio out then its a another story.. but could still be your fault...

I have Video of a guy hitting a clock and its really kind of neat…maybe disturbing is more like it.. However it was nobodies fault but the driver.. he is the one that put his boat on the water with a clock out there…

How about this...I say to heck with the pit dude...Becides at 6'2" Big Bryon is hard to see over.. :D ...shhhh.. becides i just let him think im helping...... IM KIDDING...

I like...I like...

Grim

ken stang said:
Hey BryonTell Mike he needs to get a step like Art has got. :lol:   :D   :D KENNY

69459[/snapback]

For some reason our boat racers are afraid of change if Noaha could get the ark started on a clock that is the way for all eterintyThen we have the other faction that even want to reinvent the wheel. Why can't there be a middle ground?

My Opinion is there is nothing beter than a Randall Thomas digital clock. I have never hit it so I dont see it as an obstruction. I can hit starts much better because I know every second that remains until the start. Rod your living in the past man get with the program :D

RaceCraftBearings said:
My Opinion is there is nothing beter than a Randall Thomas digital clock. I have never hit it so I dont see it as an obstruction. I can hit starts much better because I know every second that remains until the start. Rod your living in the past man get with the program  :D
69470[/snapback]

So does that mean you are taking your eyes off your boat and watching the clock???

Last edited by a moderator:
Geraghty said:
RaceCraftBearings said:
My Opinion is there is nothing beter than a Randall Thomas digital clock. I have never hit it so I dont see it as an obstruction. I can hit starts much better because I know every second that remains until the start. Rod your living in the past man get with the program  :D
69470[/snapback]

So does that mean you are taking your eyes off your boat and watching the clock???

69498[/snapback]

I'm a new racer and I don't know if I could take my eye off my boat to look at the clock I have a hard enough time keeping my sight on my boat as it is. :eek:

Geraghty said:
69498[/snapback]

For the most part no because my line of site check points with peripihal version are at buoy 3 (IMPBA) or 5 (NAMBA), then behind the clock, and as I pass the clock, also I have my pit man call the time at buoy 6 (IMPBA) or 10 (NAMBA) on each mill lap, with all this happening on each mill lap and into the start. I know when I can lite it up and go. I can and do take my eye off my boat at times during mill and since I mill slowly to keep time with the clock it is not a problem. I only do this when it is safe to do so and only for very brief moments. Works for me and has not been a problem in the 8 years or so that we in Florida have been using the digital clock.

Ron

Becides at 6'2" Big Bryon is hard to see over..

Hey Bryon

Tell Mike he needs to get a step like Art has got.

If I remember correctaly Mike already uses a step.... ;) Maby instead of a start clock, more clubs should invest in a drivers stand. I think it would be more of a help than a digital clock.

Dale P.

I'm with Rod on this one. I've hated analog clocks from Day 1. Randall's digital clock is a big step forward. He's trying to get it so that it can be used at SAW and 2-lap record trials but it's still big but that's what the rules call for. Grimmie's CD is great for people practicing or as a low Dollar way for a club to have a starting system. A Ghetto blaster or a PA system with a speaker by the drivers stand is all that's needed.

Don't let Mike fool you. He and Big Bryon are two of the best that I've seen at a race working together. Both are fully aware of what each other is doing at all times.

We only use an audio clock here in Oz :) I've never used a floating clock so I can't say one is better than the other but I can say I don't like to take my eyes off my boats when I'm racing. With the audio clock I'm able to use different start strategies depending on whats happening on the water, whilst watching my boat intently. I can see that being more difficult with a visual clock.

Maybe a standardised system for all racing bodies worldwide could be implemented :lol: :lol: :lol:

boy sound like alot of keyboard racing here we just want plans for a clock, not speed racers!!!!!!!!blueprints of a clock would work or something like the clock that is used in our area district 13 that all we need!

thanks,

allen

p.s.

didnt mean to offend anyone.

Last edited:
Back