Square Drive Die??

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darin Jordan

Does anyone know of a supplier of a die for making your own square-drive ends??? I have a 20-ton press out in the garage and I was wondering if something was available that would allow me to make my own shafts...

Any information on this would be appreciated...

Thanks,

Does anyone know of a supplier of a die for making your own square-drive ends??? I have a 20-ton press out in the garage and I was wondering if something was available that would allow me to make my own shafts...
Any information on this would be appreciated...

Thanks,
Darin,

Check with Tractor- Trailer repair shops like Utility Trailer Mfg or Fruehauf for info, they use the same die setup for hub-odometers for trailers and speedo cables, they have one to swage the cable then cut off and dress the fray. However , the trick is getting a softer cable than some of the stuff they use, doesn't bend as nice as needed for o/b apps.

Randy

kinda getting to be a lost art, but see if you can find a speedometer repair shop. they might be able to help. smaller, more flexible cable in cars. used to be able to buy just the cable, at auto parts stores. one end square (not sure what size, but one size worked in all cars), about 8' long. you could make a lot of flex's with that. way back when, the kit was $10 or less......... they came with a square fitting you either heated /hot glued on or a cheap/one use swedger tool, for the other end. but the square fitting was too big/bulky to fit in an ob lower,imo.

Darin

What size die are you looking for.If it's for a .150 cable I know who to contact.

Dave Roach

Thanks guys... I've decided to forgo any further temptations to try to make my own cables... Seems it's not worth the effort, especially since I was only wanting to do it as an experiment anyhow... I'll come up with an easier method!! ;)

Latest posts

Back