sport40 hulls

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
do we have any namba members on here running sport40 hull, if so post a pictures and tell us if your namba or impba. my sport 40 is impba .

Mark,

I don't believe IMPBA has to have the pipe completely covered..

Charley

Last edited by a moderator:
Rodney,

I am sure grim can answer with more clarity but I believe he takes the whole top off when starting, then slides the cowl on threading the pipe through the cowl and finally attaches the silencer..

Charley

Hey here is a picture of Charles Howarth sport 40. Man Charles you should finish that thing. What is taking so long? Oh yeah, I am building it. :blink: :D

Mike

It's mine!!

I'll be out next week to check on her. Looks good so far.

Thanks, Mike.

Charley

O yea starting the boat.. Well that was a problem and we tried both methods. One was to just lift and slide the cowl to the side and the other was to remove the cowl and muffler and then reattach after the boat was running.

Now… we have a Brown parabolic pipe and no longer need the muffler. The cowl just goes on and off and no more worries.

Paul,

You don’t want to know about this hull.. There are not enough hours in the day for me to explain it to you.

OK OK here goes.

It’s a Phil Thomas Super Sport 45 (polyester or gel coat epoxy glass version?) after sanding on the bare hull Im sure the buildup was polyester. The boat is about 10 years old at best guess. The hull was new and not run or setup when I got it 3rd hand. I got it from David Preusse and he got it from ? The boat was a basket case. The decks were toast and the bottom full of holes.. But I like to fix boats as much as build new so off I went to give her new life. From what I understand this was one of the first ever boats to come out of a set of Phils molds and he had to get a few out to learn the tricks to molding this particular hull.

The decking came off with a roto tool and a new GP style cowl ordered from Phil. (the boat was noodle after the decks were off ) You have to give Phil an extra 10 spot ;) (right phil) to get this baby. Its also possible that he will not make anymore as the mold is a bear to use. I was lucky and he did one for me.. :ph34r:

Paul, we are not done yet… :D

New decks made from mahogany and pockets were made from a set of molds that I made to fit the wings. The wings radio box tape in place.. if they get hit and ripped off there is no hole generated in the hull and new ones can just be taped in place ( note: small tabs of tape are best ) a set of formers were made to hold the decks in place and a lip glued under the remaining decks for the new tops. The new top decks were attached and the boat underwent many long hours of hole patching.

The cowl was for the newer style hull so many mods were done to make it fit.

The inside of the hull has wood rails. The wood rails had to be redone and the bottom of the boat near the transom and mounts made for the rear mounted radio box. The boat was then primed and the decking glasses with .56oz cloth. After a few hours of paintwork we had a boat.

RTR weight is about 9.5 lbs..

Now to answer your question about how much the boat weighs bare…

NO CLUE. :D :D :D

Grim

O whats that you say :blink: .... you mean Mr. Mike Hughes and the Mutt II....HEHEHEHE i just like to talk boat...mabey you got that... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mike that was a factory reject for sure! Not one of the first, but a experiment with poly ester gel coat that went very bad. You did a great job salvaging that boat hull. PHIL T

Paul

That is one of my hulls. No idea what they weigh bare. I don't make any attempt to get them lite. They are laid up from one layer of 2oz. and two layers of 6oz. cloth with West Systems epoxy. I used to play around with lighter lay ups but had some failures so now they are a little heavier and live alot longer. Ready to run they are around 8 1/4 lbs. Every body tells me they are too heavy, but we have three national championships and a bunch of national records. We had a six pound boat a few years ago that Eric drove for me. It was a rocket ship until anyone within a mile of the race course sneezed then it was party over, and get in the row boat. But when we could put six laps together watch out it was going to be fast. I have one ready to ship in the shop. I will try to remember to weigh it before it goes in the box.

Mark

Paul

That is one of my hulls. No idea what they weigh bare. I don't make any attempt to get them lite. They are laid up from one layer of 2oz. and two layers of 6oz. cloth with West Systems epoxy. I used to play around with lighter lay ups but had some failures so now they are a little heavier and live alot longer. Ready to run they are around 8 1/4 lbs. Every body tells me they are too heavy, but we have three national championships and a bunch of national records. We had a six pound boat a few years ago that Eric drove for me. It was a rocket ship until anyone within a mile of the race course sneezed then it was party over, and get in the row boat. But when we could put six laps together watch out it was going to be fast. I have one ready to ship in the shop. I will try to remember to weigh it before it goes in the box.

Mark

Latest posts

Back