'Sport' Geraghty W/C K&B 3.5

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kris Flynn

Hey Guys,

Is anyone else here running one of Geraghty's motors?

I am, it screams for a 'stock' motor but i can only get it to go 43MPH (GPS) with a geraghty modded 442. I have tried Sholund 1440 (sig series) and went 42, geraghty modded 440 no different.

Fuel is now 50%, MC-9 plug, which increased speeds by about 2MPH over 40%, hull is the Villain S1.

Now my question is, how can i get it to 50MPH? Rod said it would go that fast, but i just dont know how??

Thanks

Kris

Kris Flynn said:
Hey Guys,

I am, it screams for a 'stock' motor but i can only get it to go 43MPH (GPS) with  a geraghty modded 442. I have tried Sholund 1440 (sig series) and went 42, geraghty modded 440 no different.

Fuel is now 50%, MC-9 plug, which increased speeds by about 2MPH over 40%, hull is the Villain S1.

Now my question is, how can i get it to 50MPH? Rod said it would go that fast, but i just dont know how??

Thanks

Kris

93346[/snapback]

A 1640 with cup on a "light" boat and a "very aired" out set-up.I run 65% nitro.

The motor is going to have to two stage to get into the upper 40's.

Kris,If you happen to remember when we were talking about this I told you I have tickled 50 with the above set-up and 1640.

I know of no GPS that weighs less than 6 ounces.Right of the bat if you are carrying that GPS in the boat you are running a heavy combination.

My boat weighs 3lbs - 6ounces "fueled" up ready to run.

What does your Villian weigh with "fuel"?

Last edited by a moderator:
Kris Flynn said:
Hey Guys,

I am, it screams for a 'stock' motor but i can only get it to go 43MPH (GPS) with  a geraghty modded 442. I have tried Sholund 1440 (sig series) and went 42, geraghty modded 440 no different.

Thanks

Kris

93346[/snapback]

Kris,

The MC9 is not helping.. Put a 59 in it.

Does the motor take a plug on a fast run? If not you might need to move the head down.

I have run 48 with a water motor and you can to.. Make sure you have the bottoms of the sponsons properly prepped and that the shear edges are sharp.

My Villain (you will get to see it at the race) weighs 3lbs 14oz RTR.

Chances are that if you get the weight under 4 lbs (you have a full painted hull and im guessing its over 4lbs) and you make sure the bottoms of the sponsons are good to go..you will be busting down 45 in no time.

Grim

Kris,

Here's a "reality statement" - going 50 with a 3.5 stock engine(even one blessed by the Saint of Mondovi) is **** hard. I suggest you convert to metric speed. It won't be any faster, but you gotta love a bigger number :) !!

JD

Jerry Dunlap said:
Kris,I suggest you convert to metric speed.  It won't be any faster, but you gotta love a bigger number :) !!

JD

93404[/snapback]

:lol: :lol: Good Thinking! :lol:

Grim,

you going to Australia? Or is Kris coming to the States?

Jerry Dunlap said:
Kris,I suggest you convert to metric speed.  It won't be any faster, but you gotta love a bigger number :) !!

JD

93404[/snapback]

:lol: :lol: Good Thinking! :lol:

Grim,

you going to Australia? Or is Kris coming to the States?

93411[/snapback]

RC.. My little sport boat is going to be raced in OZ but not by be.. I shipped it to my hired gun.. Paul Stirton.. Paul is a hydro driver but im sure he will do fine with the boat. I like my boats a tad loose so he will have to use the throttle to get the boat around the course.

If nothing else he is going to have a blast racing the hull.

Grim

Kris,

I think your boat is fast enough for local racing - do you want to try and lap the field? Faster, flightier boat means much more careful driving, especially in traffic.

Don't worry about the spped too much as I have heard from someone who told me all the ponds in the US run downhill helping them to go faster than us. :lol:

Final point is the fastest boat is not always the most consistent - but the most consistent quick boat more often takes home the silverware. What's the old saying 'to finish first - first you must finish!'

Keep Smiling ;)

Hey Guys,

Just to make it clear, i am happy with the performance of the engine...it runs well and can spin big props. I also understand it is not an easy task to get near 50 with a 'sport' motor i am going low 40's and was hoping to be able to get some more out of it ;-)

Rod, I ordered a 1640 finished to the specs you mentioned, but i havn't tried it yet :) i will have to give it a go before the nationals! My boat weighs 4lbs RTR minus fuel (grim fuel tank) This is a pro-built Villain...

My GPS weighs 3.25oz (Garmin 101)

Mike, thanks for the tip, i was told a K&B 1L is good, and a MC 9 was the closest i could get. You setup is definately a loose one buddy ;-) but it makes them fun to drive!! I have scuffed the pads up with 180 i think it was...The keelson is sharp but i will make sure the over hang at the rear break off sharp and square...

Gary, trust me i know the fastest doesnt always win ;-) Sometimes it is the survival of the fitest, or who ever can idle around the course the quickest LOL

Kris

Last edited by a moderator:
Kris,

Have you tried a X438 or a X637? If so what speeds did you get?

Andrew V tried my X438 yesterday on His WOF and the K&B really responded well to the reduced load on the engine.

Tim, No I havn't! Thats actually a good thing for me to try next...

To make it double stage, should it be revving hard, or loaded correctly?

BTW Mike, the engine is completely as i got it from Rod, i havn't even taken the head off the motor yet...it doesnt take a plug on a fast run either...

Kris

I'd Imagine the answer is Revving hard. I'm not sure about a w/c engine staging without a pipe or a cannister muffler but I'm not going to dispute Rod - he knows these things far better than I.

With Andrew V's boat, the motor sounded a lot happier with more rpm. The X438 was one of the props I used to use on the Novarossi O/B. It had the ears reduced a little, and had a Barr cut on the trailing edge. Other than that the blades were untouched other than sharpening and balancing.

I'll bring my box of props down for the Nat's and you can try some different things out during practice.

Tim_Duggan said:
I'd Imagine the answer is Revving hard. I'm not sure about a w/c engine staging without a pipe or a cannister muffler but I'm not going to dispute Rod - he knows these things far better than I.
With Andrew V's boat, the motor sounded a lot happier with more rpm. The X438 was one of the props I used to use on the Novarossi O/B. It had the ears reduced a little, and had a Barr cut on the trailing edge. Other than that the blades were untouched other than sharpening and balancing.

I'll bring my box of props down for the Nat's and you can try some different things out during practice.

94010[/snapback]

Tim

I might have to look in your prop box too. I have not got a 440 here to try.

After looking at the engine, and the hull, and the fuel, and the prop, what lower end are you running? If you're still running a K&B, maybe you could change that for something more "aerodynamic" and even "lighter". How 'bout a Lawless? If you're already running a Lawless, then, you could always try prayer, and maybe 85% nitro? (LOL)

LawlessMan

RIGGERMORTISE said:
Tim_Duggan said:

94010[/snapback]

Tim

I might have to look in your prop box too. I have not got a 440 here to try.

94014[/snapback]

No problem Dave.

Latest posts

Back