sport 40 props

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nitronewbie

hey guys just about to finish up on my dumas sport 40. Need help on a ball park guess for a prop for this thing. Its on the heavy side of light weight and I'm going to try and run an OPS 45 in it. any guess Thanks

Nitro,

I would try a X-450/3 with it reduced to 48mm and pitched to 5.29" of cup.

That should make it happen!

My other choice would be a X-447/3 pitched up even more. I think the three

blades are the way to go for now. :)

Thanks,

Mark Sholund

Props-4-U

You might want to try something slightly smaller, like a X648. Works well on my AC Sport 40 with an OPS 45.

-David

An X-646/3 blade will work on anything. Although the OPS has more torque and could probably pull the x-450. Longer pipe needed for the 450, shorter with the 646. I always found the X-646/3 to be a better drivers type of prop. You can throttle up or down, slow up at the line, snooker guys at the start and never have to worry about the boat gettin on the pipe. The X-646/3 I think is the best all around prop for a sport-40. I ran one with a Mac 45 in an AC hull. Pipe at 10 5/8".

Rob,

You are correct, a X-646/3 has a small diameter and once pitched up a little

it is a real good Sport 40 prop. The nice thing with the three bladed propellers

is the ACCELERATION,but most have to be TWEAKED a little for TOP END

PERFORMANCE. So to conclude,try a X-646/3,X-447/3,or a X-450/3 on your

Sport 40's.

Thanks For Reading, B)

Mark Sholund

Props-4-U

Thanks guys now to come up with "more" money for this hobby.

Whoever came up with the saying " BOAT-- a hole in the water surrounded by wood into which one pours money" I believe never knew how big a hole he was really talking about!!

Hey

And since we are talking about props!!!

What would you reccomend for a deep vee sub surface drive. i will also run an OPS 45 engine.

This is also on the heavy side. it is a dumas 40 if that makes a difference.

THANKS

Nitro newbie..

Let me look through my prop box.. I have a ton of props I inherited from a nitro legend.. I can cut you a good deal on some of those props.. All are sharpened and balanced.

Charley

Hey Charley,

I would be interested,what do you want to get rid of?

Shoot me an email if you want to sell some to me Charley.

Thanks,

Mark Sholund

I have 350 of Rod Geraghty's props.. For the most part, all are sharpened and balanced by Rod or Andy Brown.. As people keep mentioning props to try, I dig in my box and guess what? I have that prop..

But I hardly need that many props so ifyou have some particular needs let me know and I can see if i have it..

I have everything from x440's to giant gas props.

That goes for everyone.. If you need some strange or hard to get prop, I bet I have it..lol..

Charley

Last edited by a moderator:
outboardman10 said:
HeyAnd since we are talking about props!!!

What would you reccomend for a deep vee sub surface drive. i will also run an OPS 45 engine.

This is also on the heavy side. it is a dumas 40 if that makes a difference.

THANKS
try an x-447/3 with it brought up as far as you can. If not and its deep, a 447/2,450/2,etc

Hi Guys

Here we have a new boater and we are telling him that he needs a modified prop to run on his boat. WHY? 95% of all my props that I ran over the years on my boats were stock and did pretty well on the trophy podium.

For all you boaters out there who feel you MUST have a special modified prop to go fast, think again. All you need is a perfectly balanced and razor sharp prop to get you into the winner's circle.

Now, if you are going for a record trial, you will need to do some tweaking to get into the high numbers. For basic heat racing and playing at the pond, stock will do. Don't get caught up with the MUST HAVE special modified props unless you don't mind spending all your cash.

Throw on an x447/3 or x448 prop and go out and have some fun.

My 2 cents .................. Randy Rapedius (X prop guy)

Newbie,

I think Randy steered you in the best direction. I am talking about his prop philosphy for a new boater. You could go broke buying props. Get you one prop so that you are running. His choices are good ones (I am not saying that the others are not good choices).

If you hang around other boaters, it is very common to borrow props and test. Find the one you like and maybe a back up. As time goes by and you feel the need to upgrade, then tweaking with more props will be the way to go. Remember, the faster you go, the more it costs.

PS. ........... and the prop I use in my Muck/Mac is not even close to any of the above mentioned ones. ;)

Have some fun.

Al Waters

NAMBA Vice President

NAMBA Scale Unlimited Chairman

President-Southern California Scale Thunderboat Association

Hey Al,

Why don't you share your trick propeller ideas with us?

I'm sure you have a good setup to share.

I guess that is what I don't understand in this hobby,why not share

information so everyone can be faster or handle better? You know

the guy still will have to out drive you to beat you. A lot of people

act like it is a secret to go fast. You still need to go over 8 MPH in

order to pass on the outside. Well I'm getting off track and typing

too much,I better go finish someones CUSTOM ORDERED PROPS. :lol:

Thanks,

Mark Sholund

Hi Al.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels that the new boater should keep it simple and learn to drive first and more importantly HAVE FUN.

It burns my ass when I read threads started by new boaters asking questions with replies that say they need ''a prop with 1.93 diameter and 2.89 pitch (which I can supply) and the motor must massaged by Mr.X and 60% nitro and this pipe and you have to smoke these cigarettes and drink that beer if you want to be really fast.''

KISS ................................. Randy

Randy and Al,

I agree we are in this hobby for FUN,I sometimes think others lose that

perspective though. When it is no longer FUN most people will move on

to something else. Randy hit the nail on the head,stock motors and stock

propellers to start. Driving is the REAL ART in this hobby.

Thanks,

Mark Sholund

I totally agree with both you guys. I am what I refer to as a card table boater. I don't have a mill, a lathe, or any of the fine equipment that a lot of people have. I don't even have the ability to know how to get the extra out of the boats that people like Mark Grim, Mark Anderson, Andy Brown (and others) can get out of props and motors. So when I read about pitch, back cut and inches of diameter, it's all way over my head.

I have ball park ideas on head clearance, pipe length and props. But that is it. Bolt it in and run it stock. I make good advertising for manufacturers because they figure if I can have success with something.....then anybody should be able to.

With my Muck 40 boat and a MAC motor in 25 heats this year, I have finished all of them. I have 20 first place finishes and 5 second place finishes. I run a Prather 235. I balanced it (best I could) and thats it. I use Andy's nitro pipe set at 10 3/4 from the plug to the high point of the pipe with a Rum Racing Products muffler. There is another Muck with a K motor and I would say we are about the same speed. There is an Anderson Mutt boat faster than mine so its whoever drives the better course.

I am one of those if it works...........dont fix it.

Good driving and also a lot of luck sure helps.

Al Waters

NAMBA Vice President

NAMBA Scale Unlimited Chairman

President-Southern California Scale Thunderboat Association

Back