Sport 40 Nitro to Electric

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tommy

The way I see it is that gas will take over the big boats for people who love internal combustion engines (I'm one), and electric will take over from nitro in the model boat size classes. I expect nitro will hang on in the car motor size classes, but electric power plants should be competitive in the 20, 40, and 60 size boats. The popular P spec rules have resulted in great 20 size electric boats. We need similar rules for 40 and 60 size classes that take advantage of the lower cost equipment now available. That's what we're researching with our sport 40 and 1/8 scale test boats. The current NAMBA rules encourage the use of the most expensive equipment.

By the way, what design is your sport 40?

Lohring Miller

I have no clue. We bought it along time ago back when sport 40 1 was still an thriving class and we just never built it. its a great design tho.

Lohring, I can't wait to see the day that electrics begin running in the same classes as nitro here in District 9. We are running them alot more then we used to and Randy is working his tail bone off to get people to come out to race. I have a old sport 40 that ive posted photos of in the link that im hoping to build in the future. Your mutt looks great and hopefully ill get to see it run soon in person.

http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?33088-sport-.40-going-FE&highlight=
Tom, there was a day that a couple of us were hoping for the same thing in D.12...now we are running FE's with nitro in a few classes...no problems and more and more guys are either showing up to run FE's or others are showing interest in them quickly!

Keep it up...you guys will get there!

-Kent

the guys around here run FE mainly because of the hard times they had with a nitro motor at some point,.. or they fly FE planes and started boats.. I have to admit,.. when I'm at the pond I have a lot of little things to deal with.. the fuel, plugs, fuel pump, glow starter, starter,.. starter belt issues,.. The FE guys just plug in there batteries and tweak their setup between runs.. they burn through alot of radio box tape though!!

Latest posts

Back