Sport 40 Nitro to Electric

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

lohring

The power plant from my Leecraft XT-460 outboard was installed in a Mutt II sport 40. See http://www.intlwater...l=&fromsearch=1 for details. The batteries were Turnigy nano-tech 3S 5000mah. Once again the idea was to duplicate 7.5 nitro performance. The boat was changed as little as possible including custom motor mounts that used the Mutt nitro engine mount holes and the old shaft. The first runs were with the same prop as the Picco engine ran. Because the Scorpion motor has a KV of 1100, the loaded rpm was probably about 20,000 on 6S, a little low. Another prop with more pitch solved that and the boat looks good in the short test session the rough water allowed. No data logging was done, but everything ran very cool. Below are pictures.

Lohring Miller

You really need to lay off the coffee before picking up your camera. :p

Are you going to be at the district race at Twin lakes? I really want to see this run.

Kelly.

Lohring, my eyes! :wacko: Photo quality aside, I run a similar setup in a SprintCat - HK4025/1100, 6S1P. Speeds with an x455 are near 50, a good sport setup that would be usable for limited racing. Bet it's a lot faster in a hydro, what prop are you using?

Jay,

It was a 2116 ABC cleaver with a little work. Everything was cold after the run. There's lots of room for more prop.I'm thinking a 1657 with some work would be a good choice for an octura. It may pull as much as a 2416 ABC.

Kelly,

Handling was very good considering the conditions (windy and rough). It has some serious potential. That motor wants LOTS of prop.

Brian, I can't belive I'm about to offer you prop advice. LOL

Try the 2118 or 2218, I have had very good luck with them in a 6s rigger.

Sorry about the pictures. I was in a hurry and snapped them in the dark of my hall before I put the boat away. A slow shutter speed needs steady hands. I'll be at the Outboard and Sport Hydro Championships this weekend with the boat. I hope some other sport 40s will show up.

Lohring Miller

Brian, I can't belive I'm about to offer you prop advice. LOL

Try the 2118 or 2218, I have had very good luck with them in a 6s rigger.
Jim,

Thanks, I like the 1.8 pitch props on riggers as well. I haven't had much luck with them in the sport boats, but I'm sure we'll run just about everything in the box once we get some real testing time.

The amazing thing was how well it ran right off the beach. It was a a pretty well sorted nitro boat before the conversion, so it probably shouldn't surprise me that much.

No sport 40s showed up at Centralia and my favorite photographer was busy running the race as well as his fleet, so no new pictures. The boat ran well in the little pond. I hope they'll let me run with the real sport 40s at a District 8 race.

Lohring Miller

I hope they'll let me run with the real sport 40s at a District 8 race.

Lohring Miller
I wish I could have been there with my spt40, but I had to make a trip over the mountains. Are you going to be at Twin Lakes in 2 weeks? If so, I dont have a problem with you running with us, we will have to talk to the other entrants, but I dont think it will be a problem.

I am going to start working on building an FE version soon, but it wont be done right away.

I can't make Twin Lakes or Duval, but will be at the other District races. I really wanted one of you serious Sport 40 drivers to try the boat.

Lohring Miller

It sounds like Brian is going to bring it to Twin Lakes, I can't wait to play with it. Do you have an ESC that you can put in it to do some data logging?

I plan to run the Mutt again at the Eugene club's race Sunday and then give it to Brian for Twin Lakes. It's planned to be similar in performance to a nitro Mutt, but if Brian starts playing with props, there are no promises. It currently has a Turnigy 180 ESC, but I have an ICE 200 I could use for data logging. The ICE 100 might be OK, but I've been running it in my smaller boats.

Lohring Miller

Last edited:
I don't know what you're talking about. I'd never play with props, they're too sharp. I've been known to respectfully give them pep talks, with pliers and a pitch gauge. :D

I may have a couple new props to try on the Mutt. We'll see how much I get done tomorrow.

Latest posts

Back