Sport 40 layout...

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

6cuda6

Is it better to have the motor up front/ radio box rear or radio box front/ motor rear??? Just curious...

6cuda6 said:
Is it better to have the motor up front/ radio box rear or radio box front/ motor rear??? Just curious...
91551[/snapback]

Most people would go with radio box up front, motor in rear. This way the boats balance stays a little better thru the fuel load. I have had very good success setting Phils boats up both ways. I believe the cg of the boat period is important. what boat is this for as I know I didnt really totally answer the question. Ken

Ken, I have been trying to get my sport 40 running with a front tank. (MAC 45,

450 prop) We have tried everyting we can think of and can't keet it from the bow plowing. Using Phil Thomas set up guide. Where should the center of balance be,

we have heard different numbers. pipe length?

Thanks, Ron Sworder

I'm going to need the same answers also as mine is getting near completion. I'm going to start with a smaller prop on mine, the X-646/3 but I have others in the box.

I'm wondering why Phil calls it a rear radio box. From having monos I thought of it as being back by the transom. I think that mid-mounted would describe it better.

Ron Olson said:
I'm going to need the same answers also as mine is getting near completion. I'm going to start with a smaller prop on mine, the X-646/3 but I have others in the box.I'm wondering why Phil calls it a rear radio box. From having monos I thought of it as being back by the transom. I think that mid-mounted would describe it better.

92644[/snapback]

Ron,, Rear of the motor or front of the motor. Place the radio box as close to the engine collet as possible.

Ron S Check the front sponsons edges, you didnt paint all the sharp edges dull did you? You can sand the edges sharp using a sanding block and some 320 paper.

Phil

I have run Phil's sp40 with the rear radio box and front fuel setup for 3yrs. the fuel cell is to be no more that 8-10oz. Put the larger flat Sullivan fuel cell on the turn fun side over the CG, half in front and half in back. During a race your secoun tank will remain full keeping the nose of the boat steady even in rough water. If this is done right the Cg should be about 1-2 in behind the motor. The hard part of this setup is setting the strut depth to accomodate this setup. i have mine at 7/8ths and i run a x450/2, x450/3blade,prather230,x452/2 cut down runs really nice ( thanks to Props-4-u ). I hope this helps you get started in the right direction. PS, if you find that the boat is still too light during full throttle in the straights, tape off the top half of the turbine air intake at the top of the cowl, a fellow sp40 racer does this and he also has the same setup and is always in the winners circle. I did notice that when i used the stealth cowl, blowovers only happened when it was really windy.

Last edited by a moderator:
bsmtboy2 said:
I have run Phil's sp40 with the rear radio box and front fuel setup for 3yrs. the fuel cell is to be no more that 8-10oz. Put the larger flat Sullivan fuel cell on the turn fun side over the CG, half in front and half in back. During a race your secoun tank will remain full keeping the nose of the boat steady even in rough water. If this is done right the Cg should be about 1-2 in behind the motor.

So how much fuel do you have total?

I always just ran a dubro 14 oz tank or a metal Tanks 2 U tank up front.

I built my Radio box mid section and have two fuel tanks up front which both are 8oz. tanks Plowing and blowing over got to find a meadian. By the way I thought the front sponsons didnt have to be that sharp!

Phil i use to hav a 14 oz sullivan tank in the right sponson and a 4 oz tank in the nose. This year i am using a 14 oz metal fuel cell in the same spot and the 4 oz hopper tank in the nose.

bsmtboy2 said:
Phil i use to hav a 14 oz sullivan tank in the right sponson and a 4 oz tank in the nose. This year i am using a 14 oz metal fuel cell in the same spot and the 4 oz hopper tank in the nose.
93092[/snapback]

You mean its way out in the sponson or just next to the motor in the right side hull?

There are lots of setup that can work as long as it can draw fuel and have the balance point ok.

bsmtboy2 said:
Its actually in the right sponson, i still gotta get it repainted and final tested before the season gets going so i will keep you informed.
94554[/snapback]

bsmtboy2,

I have run Phils boat for 8 years,

First you have too much fuel, which is dead weight. 12 oz should be plenty.

It should be on the left side of the boat, right up against the engine rail under the deck.

It should be on the CG if possible. The hopper in the front is good.

I run this hull with a very shallow strut. If yours it too deep, then it is driving the nose down too.

My strut is 3/4 inch from the bottom of the boat to the center of the shaft at the rear of the strut. I run a fair amount of angle too. You should be able to whip that x450 with no trouble.

Brian

It sounds like you have either a wicked bend in your turn fin and or your turn fin bracket is set an excessive angle pointing towards underneath the boat. Just for the hell of it straighten them both out and see how it runs.....it won't hurt and you might be surprised.

It sounds like you have either a wicked bend in your turn fin and or your turn fin bracket is set an excessive angle pointing towards underneath the boat.  Just for the hell of it straighten them both out and see how it runs.....it won't hurt and you might be surprised.
95505[/snapback]

Rodney, You talking about the Joe reese post? That is possible We dont know what kind of boat he has sounds like a scratch built.

Latest posts

Back