Sport 40 FE

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Samuel Hagan JR

There was a thread here along time ago about FE Sport 40. But I can't find it.

What class would it be called in FE.

What are the IMPBA rules for the class as far as Motor Size, ESC, and Battery's.

Last edited by a moderator:
Q Sport Hydro is the official name of the class most comparable to Sport 40. 5S to 6S Battery voltage, no mAh limit in the IMPBA, any motor, any ESC.

As others have mentioned Q Sport Hydro (Sport 40 equivalent) is the proper class name for both organizations.

In the IMPBA, Q Sport Hydro's must be greater than 34 inches but not longer than 40 inches. (Thanks Chilli)

6S is the limit on voltage

Motor is Open

I have been running a PT SS45 for a year and a half now with the following set up:

PT SS45 Hull (old layup that was updated to the new tunnel)

NEU 1527 1Y (1250kv)

2X GrimRacer 4200mAh (6S2P) for a total of 8400mAh on 6S voltage

CastleCreations Hydra 240 speed control

Octura X455

I have this set up running every bit of low 60’s

The video below was from a race earlier this year at the Michigan Cup Race in Leonard, MI. At the start my hull is on the inside (orange). The Mid-Michigan Electric Unlimiteds Club that hosted this race is a NAMBA club and this was run on a legal measured course. The heat time was 1:17.52 (I think). This was a NAMBA heat racing record that was not turned in.

http://youtu.be/Li_KTBHzz2E

This same hull with the exact same set up was run at the IMPBA time trials in Flint, MI for a 2 lap record of 24.506 seconds. I think the boat still has some left in it. More set up and a better driving will shave more time off… I have a video of that run below.

http://youtu.be/phVPhq3uYzQ

As for Electrics go… I think 6S boats are a nice medium between cost and performance. The set up I have listed above is a very mild set up and will run all day/year long (assuming the boat is properly set up with the correct prop).

Later,

Mike Ball

As others have mentioned Q Sport Hydro (Sport 40 equivalent) is the proper class name for both organizations.

Hull must be 36” or shorter

6S is the limit on voltage

Motor is Open
In the IMPBA, Q Sport Hydro's must be greater than 34 inches but not longer than 40 inches.

In the IMPBA, Q Sport Hydro's must be greater than 34 inches but not longer than 40 inches.
Hey Mike,

:huh: Thanks for the correction. I was going by memory and I was gravely wrong. I will update my post. I must've had a hybrid of "P" and "Q" on the mind

Thanks

Mike

Hey Mike,

:huh: Thanks for the correction. I was going by memory and I was gravely wrong. I will update my post. I must've had a hybrid of "P" and "Q" on the mind

Thanks

Mike
Didn't know if you were mistaken or it was a NAMBA thing. :)

I never make mistakes.... :blink:

For motor shaft, I like 8mm for bigger Neu's. Just my personal preference. For prop shaft, 3/16" is fine.

For motor shaft, I like 8mm for bigger Neu's. Just my personal preference. For prop shaft, 3/16" is fine.
That's what I needed to know. What do you use to hold the 3/16 shaft to the motor. Is there a collet for electric motors.

Yes sir. This is what I use. It has been very reliable for me. Others may prefer a different type of collet. You will have to put a couple of dimples in the motor shaft for the worm screws.

http://www.offshoree...=oct-ocfhe8mm18

Sweet. I'll post pics of the build as I go. First I have to strip the paint off and do some hull repairs. Last time raced it I hit a bouy and split the top deck. Evansville bouys are like hitting a concrete wall.

I converted a Mutt to electric. It ran in the District 8 races with nitro Sport 40s and did very well. See the series of posts here.

Lohring Miller

I converted a Mutt to electric. It ran in the District 8 races with nitro Sport 40s and did very well. See the series of posts here.

Lohring Miller
The boat that in my avatar is the boat I'll be converting. It's a DPS Hull. I don't think D14 will allow that but I would do it anyways. I love my nitro sport 40. This is something I would like to get started.

Latest posts

Back