Sponsons

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

007clint

I would like to start a discussion on Sponson Shape. To maybe start the discussion, take a look at this full-sized hydro.

Full-SizeSponsons.jpg

Other than the switched right versus left switch because of the CCW versus CW race course, I am seeing different shape and size between sides not to mention the differences between this full-sized hydro and our model outrigger and hydro sponsons.

Thoughts and/or comments?

Does anyone (or everyone) have different sponsons that they swap depending on water/wind conditions?

Being an engineer, I guess I am just too darn curious! If anyone would like to engage in a private discussion instead of this public of one just email me at 'QuikRacing at Gmail dot com'.

Does anyone (or everyone) have different sponsons that they swap depending on water/wind conditions?
Being an engineer, I guess I am just too darn curious! If anyone would like to engage in a private discussion instead of this public of one just email me at 'QuikRacing at Gmail dot com'.
The difference in width is to help off set torque and help the boat go straight. Also I think help the boat go throught the turns. Gary

I have a question on this subject. What does anhedral and dihedral do and how does it effect the ride of a boat, I am really interested in how it helps the rigger if it does? I have heard from some racers that it isn't important, I am very interested in views on this subject? Also if anhedral and dihedral are used , too what extreme can they be used ( I have one boat that has a 1.5° dihedral on the left and another that has a 3° dihedral on the left, why would they be different and can they be more or less)?

Thanks ,

Paul

i Personally havent seen it on an out rigger but i have it out my 1/8 scale the theory of it is that the inside sponson doesnt hang up as it moves sideways on the turn the way around it on an out rigger can be to bevell off the bottom inside edge of the right sponson it will do the same thing (not hang up on the turn)

I have a question on this subject. What does anhedral and dihedral do and how does it effect the ride of a boat, I am really interested in how it helps the rigger if it does? I have heard from some racers that it isn't important, I am very interested in views on this subject? Also if anhedral and dihedral are used , too what extreme can they be used ( I have one boat that has a 1.5° dihedral on the left and another that has a 3° dihedral on the left, why would they be different and can they be more or less)?

Thanks ,

Paul
Anhedral and dihedral were discussed at length a few months ago. I'll see if I can find the thread. IT would be under the general heading, as this hull forum was not available then.

Thanks ,

Paul
Anhedral and dihedral were discussed at length a few months ago. I'll see if I can find the thread. IT would be under the general heading, as this hull forum was not available then.
I found it (I hadn't thought about the change in forum location) Thanks -

anhedral and dihedral

I would like to start a discussion on Sponson Shape. To maybe start the discussion, take a look at this full-sized hydro.
Full-SizeSponsons.jpg

Other than the switched right versus left switch because of the CCW versus CW race course, I am seeing different shape and size between sides not to mention the differences between this full-sized hydro and our model outrigger and hydro sponsons.

Thoughts and/or comments?
The right sponson on full size hydros has a heavy angle on the non trip chine to help the boat ride over waves. The left sponson has about the same ride surface but the chine is almost vertical to keep the spray from riding up the side of the sponson(less water...less drag...more speed). Just my 2 pennies.

The boats slide to the outside while in a turn. The sides of the sponsons help to control that slide in addition to the turn fin. I have found the weight of the boat, the amount of speed, the amount of slide, all play a part in getting the right angles so the boat does not trip or slide too much.

Latest posts

Back