Sponson Shape

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CollinW

I've just started building my Dunlap 27 and was wondering with the boats running clockwise what effect it would have on the cornering of the boat if the inside sponson was made thinner or even shorter than the outer one.

Just a thought.

The inside sponson resists torque in the straight. It is often made deeper than the outside sponson for part of its width to keep the edge in the water during the turn.

Lohring Miller

When you start narrowing or shortening the inside sponson, you will start to affect the boat's abillity to support itself on its right side. When you enter a turn, there is a greater chance of "nosing under" because the sponson drops lower in the water. I agree with Jerry, the boat runs great the way it was designed. I watched Bruce Mooring run away from the feild at the Outboard Championships here in the Pacific Northwest last year with his D 27. But if you feel the need to reinvent the wheel, then I would tend to agree with Lohring on this one, make the inside sponson just a little bit deeper than the outside one......Good Luck

Well said PJ, your a funny man JD

is it too complicated to make OB run in their true courses like the Full-sized ones do? those course are more exciting and arnt a plain oval, with one direction turns : :)

just a thought to make them more scale...

Mike, did you experiment with making the right sponson deeper than the left in the Villain? im guessing they are the same right now?

I know the Leecraft boats have asymmetric sponsons...but thats about it

Kris

Kris

When i was desiging the Villlain I built a boat that the sponsons servo taped in place. (I still like this idea but most guys think it is crazy). I was able to play around with angle hight and just about anything i wanted with this setup.

After much testing there was no point in runnig the right deeper then the left. Testing showed no positive proof that this worked on the Villain. I can say however that i did not care for a deeper right sponson.

Grim

Back