Spektrum Question.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Question similar to this was posted elsewhere.

I have read all the posts here and other places about the Spektrum systems some swear by it, others have had problems when used in a boat. But these systems posted have mainly been about the DX2.0 and DX3.0. I have a Spektrum DX7 myself and would very much like to attempt to use it in my GAS mono. As some of you know the rx antennas on these are different then the surface DX3.0 single ant. The antennas used on the rx's for the DX7 are very short in length and are set up like a dipole. I have contacted Spektrum about the usage of this system in boat and was told it would be just fine. I have two rx options ...I can use the dual rx AR7000 and place the rxs 90deg from each other which gives dual path redundancy. The other option was the AR6100 micro single rx. which is the rx I asked Spektrum about for use in a gas boat. The only thing with either set up is the rx antennas will not be outside the radio box they are way too short. Anyone here have any experience and or recommendations or comments about doing this. Pics would be great on installations like this.

I really want to use this system in my boat (with out purchasing another radio) as there is now a new r/c track near by where I run my boats.

Thanks

Chris.

I have read all the posts here and other places about the Spektrum systems some swear by it, others have had problems when used in a boat. But these systems posted have mainly been about the DX2.0 and DX3.0. I have a Spektrum DX7 myself and would very much like to attempt to use it in my GAS mono. As some of you know the rx antennas on these are different then the surface DX3.0 single ant. The antennas used on the rx's for the DX7 are very short in length and are set up like a dipole. I have contacted Spektrum about the usage of this system in boat and was told it would be just fine. I have two rx options ...I can use the dual rx AR7000 and place the rxs 90deg from each other which gives dual path redundancy. The other option was the AR6100 micro single rx. which is the rx I asked Spektrum about for use in a gas boat. The only thing with either set up is the rx antennas will not be outside the radio box they are way too short. Anyone here have any experience and or recommendations or comments about doing this. Pics would be great on installations like this.

I really want to use this system in my boat (with out purchasing another radio) as there is now a new r/c track near by where I run my boats.

Thanks

Chris.
Chris,

Should be OK, maybe.... My only reservations are that the antenna is very short and will literally be on top of the water, not waving around in the air like a 27Mhz or 75Mhz unit. Water acts like a ground plane and can cause reception issues when you are pushing the range on your radio. The other issue may be how close to the engine block the tX is located. Because the antenna is so short and depending on where yo locate it in the hull, the antenna may get shielded by the engine block .

Just some thoughts

chunk t

Just SET YOUR FAIL SAFE FIRST then experiment. They told me the same thing about my DX3 radio and found out that there are some things you have to do to get it to work right. One thing that may apply is to never stand in or close to the water. It will cause the signal to "skip" away. Get 3 feet above water level and all will be good. I have 2 DX3s in 5 boats with no problems yet at the races.

Thats my reservation too, the very short antennas being blocked some how. As I see it if I mount the rx on one side of the radio box (same side as the carb) and have it elevated, it would be above the water line and at most angles from the tx, I think the signal would not be bocked. Fail safe yes will be set for sure, as well as an external one I am using now with the current install ,will be set up to instantly kill the ignition source on loss of signal.

Thanks for the replies do appreciate everyones insight on this.

Chris.

Here's the problem I've found with Spektrum and boats. I have used them in RC cars since they came out and the technology has grown. My son and I introduced the use of Spektrums in RCU a couple years ago. All seemed great except from time to time, for no reason I/we would glitch in a turn. I worked closely with the Spektrum tech that handles the needs of all the RC car factory drivers. He would update my unit software and ultimately provided me with a large capacitor to put in the receiver.

We use M8 and M11 radios

#1 What would happen was that even with 5 cell receiver packs the steering servos drew just enough power in hard turns to reduce the needed power to the receiver just slightly. Thus, you thought you had a glitch. WELL, that never happens with my OEM receivers.

#2 The Spektrum receiver is highly susceptible to problems with just the slightest bit of moisture.

My solution... I can break a hub on an RC car and be ticked if I get a glitch but the hub is an easy fix. Put a 1500-2000 Scale hydro on the rocks because of unproven technology? Not another chance. :(

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks

Chris.
I love my spektrum . I have had no problems at all with range or anything else . I am running the hitec ditg Hi tork . You must run the cap from spektrum in the 3rd channel to prevent it from going into fail safe when pulling a lot of power . my frend has all big gas boats , cat mono and hydo and has had no problem ether

I love my spektrum . I have had no problems at all with range or anything else . I am running the hitec ditg Hi tork . You must run the cap from spektrum in the 3rd channel to prevent it from going into fail safe when pulling a lot of power . my frend has all big gas boats , cat mono and hydo and has had no problem ether
Great to hear another successful boater using a spektrum system. 3rd channel cap..I wont be using a 3 channel spektrum it will be the DX7 7ch. system. Do you think I will still require a cap using the DX7? I have made my order, I have a AR6100 microlite rx on the way, I hope I can find a way to make it work reliably.

Chris.

I had my first glitch this weekend with a Spectrum. Going through the turns it went into fail safe and after you mensioned the capacitor I remembered that I didn't get around to installing one in that boat. Thanks!

I had my first glitch this weekend with a Spectrum. Going through the turns it went into fail safe and after you mensioned the capacitor I remembered that I didn't get around to installing one in that boat. Thanks!
So if you add this cap does it render the 3rd channel port of your RX unuseable? What if you run 3rd channel mixture control? Using a cap in this fashion sounds like a band aid approach to me. :blink:

So if you add this cap does it render the 3rd channel port of your RX unuseable? What if you run 3rd channel mixture control? Using a cap in this fashion sounds like a band aid approach to me. :blink:
Your right, It probably should be built in to the receiver. It is an in line thing so you can still use the 3rd channel.

I not sure if this applies to those radios or not. On my 3PJS I was having my sp40 failsafe the throthle in the turns because of too much current draw. I ended up turning off the battery failsafe and the problem went away. I recharge before every race and run extra large milleamp packs, so I am not worry about low voltage failsafe. My standard signal failsafe works fine without the battery failsafe.

Mike

Don

You can use a Y harness to add the cap. It does not even have to go on the third channel. Any channel will do. It just keeps the voltage constant across the black and red wires.

Hello

I have been using the Spektrum Radio for about two years now in my Boats and have had

no problems in my 21 size boats.

But I did have issue's when I went up to my 67 powered seaducer which had an Hitec

1/4 scale servo on rudder.

It always went into fail safe.

I removed it from the boat and now have purchased the Futaba 3PK magnum transmiter

with futaba's 2.4 Ghz Module.

I am using the 2.4Ghz Fasst R603FS Reciever.

This Radio is now installed in my 67 Seaducer and my 67 SGX Rigger.

It has worked flawless.

It seems as though Futaba waited too see what shook out with Spektrum and then did it

up right themselves in there own High quality way.

I love this radio.

Joe

Ok I now have my two AR6100 rx's, One is now mounted in my GAS mono. Wow these things are very small never realized it before, Pics don't do the size justice. I have mounted the rx on the underside of the lid so the antennas run vertical the one antenna is fully extended outside the radio box inside an ant tube and is capped off with hot glue so no water can enter through the tube. The other one is vertical inside the box.

Land range test. walked 30paces pressed bind had full control, went another 30 pressed bind still had full contro,l walked another 30 (total of 90paces) with bind pressed no control (failsafe), with bind not pressed had all control. I had the boat facing me when I did these tests so that the engine would be blocking the rx. One thing I do not like about these rxs is the failsafe, all channels hold but throttle. No signal can pass from an external failsafe even if you wanted it to. I usually have the ext. failsafe on my ignition kill channel and not throttle.

I will post again when I finally get to the lake and let everyone know the results of actual use.

Chris.

Ok I now have my two AR6100 rx's, One is now mounted in my GAS mono. Wow these things are very small never realized it before, Pics don't do the size justice. I have mounted the rx on the underside of the lid so the antennas run vertical the one antenna is fully extended outside the radio box inside an ant tube and is capped off with hot glue so no water can enter through the tube. The other one is vertical inside the box.Land range test. walked 30paces pressed bind had full control, went another 30 pressed bind still had full contro,l walked another 30 (total of 90paces) with bind pressed no control (failsafe), with bind not pressed had all control. I had the boat facing me when I did these tests so that the engine would be blocking the rx. One thing I do not like about these rxs is the failsafe, all channels hold but throttle. No signal can pass from an external failsafe even if you wanted it to. I usually have the ext. failsafe on my ignition kill channel and not throttle.

I will post again when I finally get to the lake and let everyone know the results of actual use.

Chris.
Looks like we need a RF tech...

RF tech why?

Anyway I did go out with the boat this afternoon, I was bit apprehensive at first to launch it as in the manual states its for Park flyers and small micro helis etc., But Spektrum said it would be ok to use this setup in a boat, so I did eventually launch it, and the Spektrum DX-7 and the AR6100 worked great! :D . I still don't like the failsafe setup but at least I am on 2.4ghz. The balloon trick for the rx doesn't work because of the way the dual antennas exit the rx from the sides of the unit. So its very important to make sure your radio box is sealed from water completely. I am satisfied with the performance of the DX-7 together with the AR6100 so far.

Chris.

Back