Slow Electric

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chunk t

All you e-boaters... After reading the thread in the General Boating Forum about an electric retreval boat, I thought it might be prudent to approach the electric experts.

If I were to build an e-retrieval boat... What would be some of your suggestions to these thoughts

a. sub-surface drive on 6-cells

b. what size motor will drive a barge with gusto & give a respectable run time (10 min +)

c. what size, type prop would your recommend

d. what is a good reliable speed controler?

e. any concerns regarding heat build up? I intend to use this boat to push a stalled nitro boat.

If any other tid-bits of importance come to mind, please post them.

thanks,

chunk t

The boat below has many innovations and ideas. That's a hydraulic-operated net used to scoop up the dead boat. It uses two motors, one in each sponson, and no rudder - the motors were independently controlled. That would be superior to a single motor and a rudder as it would allow slow, tightly-controlled operation both forward and in reverse. A simple boat would not need to be this fancy, but the basic shape and operation are shared by many R/C retrieval boats.

If you want a really simple boat, any 700 motor and 8-12 cells in a single hull boat would do the trick if you towed a tennis ball on a long string, wrapping the string around the dead boat a couple times and pulling it in. I'd opt for a "small" prop, perhaps similar to an x438 or x440. 6 cells is pretty wimpy for a heavy nitro boat. Pushing makes it tough to steer in wind or chop, especially with a single motor. :blink:

ve57qd.jpg

i'm building something simmilar to that, but i'm using one 12v 17AH/20HR motor cycle battery.

My plan is to have a net simmilar to the one shown drop down into the water via wire and pully system. drive it under the downed boat then lift the netting.

I'm planning on using two 12V motors for power, and another 12v motor for the netting.

Right now i have no idea on what radio to use to control the system. I'd like to use a twin stick one for motor one, the other for motor two. Then a three position switch for the net but cant find what i'm looking for :(

I have all my hardware to move my recovery boat..

its going to weigh in at roughly 40lbs and doing some quick math that would put my 50" x 6" pontoon style boat about 2" deep. Add 15lbs of downed boat and your looking at 3" deep. so to be save, i'll have to make the side walls of the pontoons at least 6" high.

My hope is to be able to get two boats on the lowering "net" and run a sail winch off the back to snag a 3rd boat...

...If you want a really simple boat, any 700 motor and 8-12 cells in a single hull boat would do the trick if you towed a tennis ball on a long string, wrapping the string around the dead boat a couple times and pulling it in. I'd opt for a "small" prop, perhaps similar to an x438 or x440. 6 cells is pretty wimpy for a heavy nitro boat. Pushing makes it tough to steer in wind or chop, especially with a single motor...
Jay,

The more I think about it :blink: the more I believe that I'm going to go the route of towing a line out to the dead boat. I've got a set of plans for an 18-20" mono that I can easily modify to do the job. At 18-20in. pulling a line, do you think I should still go with a 700 motor on 8-cells vs. a ROAR on 6-cells? If I went the route of 6-cell ROAR I'd pick up a cheep car speed controller, what would I use for a 700? recommendations?..

thanks,

chunk t

The way I see it, a pair of 700 motors on 8 cells. ( maybe even 6 cells)

With x438 props.

twin ESC's.

Dual motors will give you the precision steering you need.

no rudder needed or wanted.

The 8 cells will run both motors, no problem.

with this type boat, speed is the enemy.

Remember, you are building a bulldozer .

Allso use a twin stick transmitter & drive it like a tank.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back