slide carb

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taber

I would like to use a slide carb in my 21 rigger.Has anyone tried this , maybe using a bellcrank ?

I would like to use a slide carb in my 21 rigger.Has anyone tried this , maybe using a bellcrank ?
No reason why not ... rig it up and just do it !!
I want to just do it but have no room ! I need to talk with someone familiar with the cars about a ball link that I can mount to a bellcrank then to carb. Ball on carb is very small.I can tell you I am using an RB x 15 turbo in a scratch built ff 12 , using an irvine 20 carb left over from airplane racing days, and the boat is faster than all the .21 boats I race against.

I want to try the slide carb for quicker smoother accelleration.

The RB 15 will easily turn up a prather 220ss stock.

It shouldn't be hard to rig up, see what the gas boat guys do with the bellcrank setups.

You can use the bellcrank from Du-Bro or if you want to go the cheap route, a 4-way servo horn can be adapted. Just cut 2 of the arms off so that you have the 2 remaining 90* off from each other.

No reason why not ... rig it up and just do it !!
I want to just do it but have no room ! I need to talk with someone familiar with the cars about a ball link that I can mount to a bellcrank then to carb. Ball on carb is very small.I can tell you I am using an RB x 15 turbo in a scratch built ff 12 , using an irvine 20 carb left over from airplane racing days, and the boat is faster than all the .21 boats I race against.

I want to try the slide carb for quicker smoother accelleration.

The RB 15 will easily turn up a prather 220ss stock.
You can get the Car / Buggy carb ball link ends no problem, typically threadless and doable for 2-56 threading.

A simple 90* bell crank on a bracket attached to tub side should be all that's required. Bell crank likely to be above top edge of tub and may overhang to the outside a tad.

No big friggen deal getting a sano set up in cramped spaces :p

Here´s what I did to my JAE12G.

Got that motor from LHS discount basket for 10€.

They didn´t have rotary carbs there and if they had ordered one it would have cost something like 40€ so little building was made.

Links are from Trex450 helicopter. Bellcrank is Futaba 4-way servo arm. Glued a piece of nylon pipe inside that servo arm and used the Dubro 90 deg. arm (Sorry, I don´t remember model #) hardware. That Dubro arm itself was too flexible imho..

I have to make similar setup for my JAE.21G too, but I´ll use a bigger servo.

Don´t know why, but I killed maybe 4 HXT-900 servos (cheap $3.5 9g servo) in this setup last summer.

Maybe it was the vibration, maybe something else.

12-Slide_Carb.JPG

I ran a nova 21 w slide carb a while back, annealed & bent a 90 in brass tubing & 1/16'' cable to push it open.

I ran a nova 21 w slide carb a while back, annealed & bent a 90 in brass tubing & 1/16'' cable to push it open.
Hey, that's a great idea. Sullivan makes a super flexible control cable. It's smaller in diameter than their normal flex cable.

Hey Mark, CMB 84? "AB mod ducted fan"

Is that one of the CMB 85 Fan engines I was modding about 14 years ago.

They were great running engines when correctly modified.

P.S. Don't want to hijack this thread....Back to SLide carbs.

Years ago some company made a slick little set up that mounted directly to the carb and was very compact and clean...don't remember who. I think the bellcrank mounted to the engine lug on the opposite side of the engine from the slide. The push rod ran over to the slide between the carb and the crankcase. All self contained to the engine. Fit in riggers with no problem.

Last edited by a moderator:

Years ago some company made a slick little set up that mounted directly to the carb and was very compact and clean...don't remember who. I think the bellcrank mounted to the engine lug on the opposite side of the engine from the slide. The push rod ran over to the slide between the carb and the crankcase. All self contained to the engine. Fit in riggers with no problem

I would recommend a servo saver (dubro spring and collar type) I used the Nova slide carbs when they first hit the states and for some reason they took out throttle servos.Install the dubro part(#120) and never lost another servo.Just some info.

Ron Jr

Yes Andy it is. Mark found it for me about 5 years ago on ebay I think? it had a bad disc and the guy sold it real cheep. replaced the disc and all I can say is WOW was it fast in a 42" twincraft. Then I blew it up and gave it to Mark. end of story :D

Terry

Years ago some company made a slick little set up that mounted directly to the carb and was very compact and clean...don't remember who. I think the bellcrank mounted to the engine lug on the opposite side of the engine from the slide. The push rod ran over to the slide between the carb and the crankcase. All self contained to the engine. Fit in riggers with no problem
Andy reminded me...Here's a link to not sure motor size http://www.stsrc.com.tw/product-43.aspx I thought they made one that ran straight up the motor bolt but it's been a couple years since I looked.

Last edited:

Here a link to one not sure size http://www.stsrc.com.tw/product-43.aspx I thought they made one that ran straight up the motor bolt but it's been a couple years since I looked. Could be copied modified ect... REHIJACK got motor for Terry from nitrosniffer on ebay behind the scenes buy after I won some other stuff"SMALL WORLD" before we really discovered Intlwaters, motor never seems to stop pulling. OOOPS double post edit wrong way

Last edited:
I'll throw this guy out too...Traxxas bellcrank

Yeah I like that mo better. You could add a small alum. plate to the top of the motor mount. Or maybe right to the mount maybe needs a spacer.Even has bearings in it. See spring, I also fooled around with losi throttle return springs but tried on out board with mixed results the tension was unpredictable with the cable. My XXNT truck you can turn the radio off and it slows right down with a tiny bit of brake also.No battery power necessary to shut down won't prevent glitches though.

Last edited:
I would recommend a servo saver (dubro spring and collar type) I used the Nova slide carbs when they first hit the states and for some reason they took out throttle servos.Install the dubro part(#120) and never lost another servo.Just some info.

Ron Jr
Good point as the carbs dead bottom out so to speak.Alot of cars just use fuel tubing and collar locks for a little give.

Latest posts

Back