Single passage or multiple passage water cooling?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dustin Barbaglia

Here is what i have going on, on my mono i have three cooling lines, one in each rudder, and one pickup behind in the prop wash. My first thought was to run each one of these to a particular part of the motor, IE, upper water jacket, lower water jacket, exhaust header...... but i was thinking that if one port would get blocked, then one part of the motor would no get water. So i am considering taking all three lines in to a central block, and then branching off to the parts of the motor. this way if one piack up should become clogged, then ther other two would pick up the slack so to speak. Any thoughts of this, pros or cons ? Attach is a picture of my rear set up.

Dustin, what kind/size motor are you running in that boat? That seems like a LOT of cooling! Remember, it is very important to let the motor get up to the correct operating temp...too much cooling is about as bad as not enough. On most boats one water pickup in one rudder (most only run one rudder) is enough to cool everything.

Glenn

i would say no matter what motor you are running that is to much , even a 101

1 water pickup in 1 rudder is plenty.

chris

Last edited by a moderator:
that thought has not gone over looked. Been playing with the concept of NOS systems. heat is a big problem...... as well as just keeping a motor together. Gearing up to try and overcome some of the issues.... this might turn out to be just another flop, but figured at least it will be fun. Have porpotioning vavles on the lines as they enter the hull to allow or restrict the flow. only reason why i used three, was i already had ports in the rudders..... choose a dual rudder set up help with the turning, as well as i just liked they way they look. added the third pickup for the primary to the motor. motor has two cooling jackets, and upper and a lower, and have a cooling to the exhuast header. always have had a notion that restricting the flow is much easier than adding. I certainly welcome the input though, if anyone has thoughts about the affects of combineing these into a central block, then porting off to the varies engine componets i would like to hear view points on that.

Too much brain power being expended here to solve a non-existent problem!

Last edited by a moderator:
Dustin, what kind/size motor are you running in that boat? That seems like a LOT of cooling! Remember, it is very important to let the motor get up to the correct operating temp...too much cooling is about as bad as not enough. On most boats one water pickup in one rudder (most only run one rudder) is enough to cool everything.

Glenn
Glenn, on this boat i am running a modified os max .90 sleeved to 1.06 head clearance .0012. been toying with NOS systems for nitro motors. Operating temps seems to be something of debate. hearing a range from 185 degree all the way up to 290+ Always wondered what is ideal for nitro. have any insight into that ?

Glenn
Glenn, on this boat i am running a modified os max .90 sleeved to 1.06 head clearance .0012. been toying with NOS systems for nitro motors. Operating temps seems to be something of debate. hearing a range from 185 degree all the way up to 290+ Always wondered what is ideal for nitro. have any insight into that ?
Dustin, I'm not sure what temps your motor will like, but on my Nova motors around 200 degrees is in the ball park.

Glenn

Back