Sightler Boat questions

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kris poole

I'm new to this forum but posted a question about identifying a hull a few weeks ago and got a lot of good info so I figured I would ask yall about the rest of my boats.

Fist up is what I know to be a Sightler V-hull. I got it about a year ago and have gone through the entire boat, cleaned, and replaced parts that needed replacing. I'm in Atlanta and was told that this boat was raced locally at Naturally Fresh. I haven't ran the boat yet, but I plan to this summer. I don't have much info on the boat though or the maker and was wondering if anybody could just give me some more info on it. I believe that the motor is an OPS .45.

Next is two more V-hulls that I also believe are Sightlers. They look nearly identical to my red one, but there are slight differences. I Just picked these up locally about a month ago. There the same size as my red one, but they both have OPS.67 motors in them. My plan is to repair them and get them back on the water. One might be beyond my abilities, so it might have to find someone that can handle the project :) . I'm just looking for a little info on them please.

Picture 110.jpg

Picture 134.jpg

Picture 139.jpg

Picture 125.jpg

Picture 126.jpg

Picture 130.jpg

Kris,

There was a guy, years ago that made a splash from the sightlers, he called them Lazer's. They had the engine mount/radio box insert, the same as the Sightler's.

The two white ones may be one of those??

As far as the repairs, if you would like to meet sometime, I can give you some pointers, or help.

Kris, the 1st Red boat is definately a Sightler Hull. I used to own one. Won many(Local) Championships with it, back in the late 80's. Boat runs very well as a Sub-surface set-up like it is now - due to the step design. Don't ever try to make it a surface drive. I have a pic of my Sightler back then - maybe I'll try to post it here, later tonight. B)

I ran Sightlers for many years, all classes. Neil was a friend of mine and Barbaras as well as Doug Floyd and my good buddy Rob Robertson, Ronny Cail, Paul Psalmonds etc etc. All ran Sightlers. Doug Floyd did most of the development work and Neil did the boat building. Kris they are both Sightlers. Not Twin Craft or Lazors.

Great boats in there time and I have a wall of trophies to back that up. Ted is correct,they do not convert to surface drive.

They can be raced but with todays crop of performance mono's your not going to be in the winners circle much.

Yes get rid of the solid mount.

I ran a .67 Sightler for a year about 5 years ago for the nostalga of it. Ran pretty fast but not fast enough. Had my fun for a year and gave it up.

Ed

Neil Sightler currently lives in Columbia SC. He has a house on a small lake and still runs boats from time to time from what I have been told.

Thanks for the info guys. I was almost positive the two new ones were sightlers as well, just needed a little backup. The two white ones both have .67's in them and they are the same size as the red one, so does that mean my red one will be under powered with the .45? That is what came in it when I bought it and I was told it was raced in that condition.

Thanks for the info guys. I was almost positive the two new ones were sightlers as well, just needed a little backup. The two white ones both have .67's in them and they are the same size as the red one, so does that mean my red one will be under powered with the .45? That is what came in it when I bought it and I was told it was raced in that condition.
Kris, for some reason the white hulls look a lot larger than the red hull does - in the pictures anyways. :huh: The Red Hull is definately a .45 hull. I beleive you if you say they are all the same size? I would say - then, that the white hulls would be Over-powered with the .67's - Not the other way around. (If they are All the same size). :rolleyes:

Ok, well I was thinking the white ones might have had larger motors than they were intended to have. They are all three exactly the same size. I'm thinking of maybe getting rid of the white hull that needs the most work. I just have to many other projects in front of these and it would just sit for a good while. The other white one will need some work as well, but I would like to keep it and fix it up. Any suggestions on a motor for it?

Kris, the 1st Red boat is definately a Sightler Hull. I used to own one. Won many(Local) Championships with it, back in the late 80's. Boat runs very well as a Sub-surface set-up like it is now - due to the step design. Don't ever try to make it a surface drive. I have a pic of my Sightler back then - maybe I'll try to post it here, later tonight. B)
Kris, here's the pic I said I would post - back in the 80's.

The 44" Sightler will work well with either a 45 or 67 motor. If you use a 67, it helps to use a drop mount to get the motor lower in the boat. The solid mounts do make for a loud boat.

hi kris, the pics of the white boat are a sightler. i have the same boat. it was called a "rail" boat.neil used to make a 50" boat that had wood strigers.

the 44" boat has intergral rails and radio box.i run the 44" boat with a cmb 90 and finally got it right.runs very well and turns on a dime. won a lot

of trophys back in the day with the 50" boat. keep it sub-surface and get the balance point right.they are not as fast as some of the newer boats but lots

of fun to drive. good luck,mike.

Do all of those hulls measure 44"? I ran Sightlers for years and that 44" hull is Very versitle as far as engine size. I ran a MAC 84 in that 44 that Mike C has and it was ballistic down the straights but a tad difficult to get through a turn in race traffic. It raced great with a 67 engine in it. Neil made a little 20 boat a 40", 44" and 50" hulls. In it's day, State of the Art and probably the finest constructed R/C boat ever made. I still have a nice 40" if you want to add to your collection. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
i would not get rid of them Tim jones has a old Twincraft like really and he still wins races and gives the other boats a run for there money.. i would just meet with some of the guys in your club they will help thats what i love about the hobbie people are always willing to help..

45 engines you can go with the CMB 45RS or Vac,Mac 45 and 67 size engines CMB 67 Greenhead would be a good choice of power. but yeah change the engine mounts thats for sure.. keep working on them. its no the fastest boat that wins everytime.

SCOTT Where have you been ???

julian

Last edited by a moderator:
Do all of those hulls measure 44"? I ran Sightlers for years and that 44" hull is Very versitle as far as engine size. I ran a MAC 84 in that 44 that Mike C has and it was ballistic down the straights but a tad difficult to get through a turn in race traffic. It raced great with a 67 engine in it. Neil made a little 20 boat a 40", 44" and 50" hulls. In it's day, State of the Art and probably the finest constructed R/C boat ever made. I still have a nice 40" if you want to add to your collection. :)
hey bro, good to see you up and about. hope all is well.it turn's on a dime with the big motor in it. it needed 8oz. of nose weightto balance it out. about 33% to 35% from transom and is mint. mike.

Latest posts

Back