Shovel Nose Hydro - Set up

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brett Buckmaster

Hi Guys,

Looking for idea's/improvements on how to set up a Shovel nose hydro. Where do you like the CG? Where do you like your tanks to sit/ what volume size tanks? 1 or 2 radio boxes and their location, left or right rudder setup/ off set prop strut??

Thanks,

Bucky

Hi Guys,Looking for idea's/improvements on how to set up a Shovel nose hydro. Where do you like the CG? Where do you like your tanks to sit/ what volume size tanks? 1 or 2 radio boxes and their location, left or right rudder setup/ off set prop strut??

Thanks,

Bucky
My Fritz 73 RedMan has 2 12oz tanks in front all the way up. Rudder on the left,a single radio boxalong left side. My engine is offset 1/4 inch to the right for clearance (this boat has a 4inch center bay. My cg is very close to the rear edge of sponson,i run a cmb greeny and a cmdi ab pipe. A lot depends on the hull you have what is it? I have also setup a mto Mike

Here are some pics of my 68 Bardahl. I have made some changes to the boat and have yet to see how it performes. I was told it run okay and tended to bounce from one sponson to the other on straight away shots.

If you go into my gallery and look at BARDAHL REBUILD you can see some of the changes.

https://www.intlwaters.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=643

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the help guys,

I have a hull from

R/C Scale Hydro

18307 Bonney Lake Boulevard

Bonney Lake Washington

Do you know the name of this guy??

Also have a Doug Dewitte hull that I would like to put together at a later date also so all set up hints are greatly appreciated.

Ray - Very Nice Boat - Is it wood or glass??

Regards,

Bucky

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the help guys,I have a hull from

R/C Scale Hydro

Bonney Lake Washington

Also have a Doug Dewitte hull that I would like to put together at a later date also so all set up hints are greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Bucky
I believe the guy was Dave Cluck I think there was a brother that worked with him he got out of the boat business several years ago. Some one In Washington would know him.

Phil T

R/C Scale Hydro

Bonney Lake Washington

Regards,

Bucky
Thanks, It's a glass boat with a liitle bit of wood added to the sponson bottoms and a few other places. I pushed the engine forward an 1" and lowered a 1/2" to get the balance point close to rear of the sponsons. I also pushed the fuel tank forward to help add some weight in the nose. I had a stainless steel tank made that holds about 26 oz.

Phil & other Shovel nose owners,

With you're Karelson Shovel nose where do most guy's put the radio box, I've been sifting thru the photo galleries and it appears that some guys put them in the nose of the boat and some put them under the rear cowl. The only difference I can make out is the one at the rear would be better to access to tape up, any hints or idea's would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Bucky

Phil & other Shovel nose owners,With you're Karelson Shovel nose where do most guy's put the radio box, I've been sifting thru the photo galleries and it appears that some guys put them in the nose of the boat and some put them under the rear cowl. The only difference I can make out is the one at the rear would be better to access to tape up, any hints or idea's would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Bucky
mine has a rear and i have to remove the pipe to get it in and out. Not my best plan but it works, if you have 5 inch rail you will get an extra inch

Phil & other Shovel nose owners,With you're Karelson Shovel nose where do most guy's put the radio box, I've been sifting thru the photo galleries and it appears that some guys put them in the nose of the boat and some put them under the rear cowl. The only difference I can make out is the one at the rear would be better to access to tape up, any hints or idea's would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Bucky
The rear radio box is easier to get to, but keep the box to the front to keep the Balance Point 90% of the afterplane or more.

The fuel tank in the front makes for better engine runs too. Only bad thing is as the fuel goes down the front gets lighter.

My boat has a access hatch in the bottom front to get to the fuel tank.

Keep the engine as far forward as the scale engine permits.

You can modifiy the front sponson pads to get less angle or less width, which will help keep the boat on the water.

If you can get the radio in the front and keep the fuel system ahead of the BP that would work but adds to the complications.

PHIL

Hey Bucky,

Give me a call and I'll give you some good info if you want mate, or let me know when you're free and I'll drop you a line

Johno

R/C Scale Hydro

Bonney Lake Washington

Regards,

Bucky
Bucky

His name is Steve Cluck, and yes he is out of the business. I purchaced all his molds a couple years ago.

Ralph

R/C Scale Hydro

Bonney Lake Washington

Regards,

Bucky
Bucky

His name is Steve Cluck, and yes he is out of the business. I purchaced all his molds a couple years ago.

Ralph
Are you now selling hulls out of these moulds???

My roundnose has a radio box in front and 2-ten oz. tanks on the sides as far forward as possible. Even though there's a small servo box rear port, the CG is just ahead of the end of the sponson by 1/2". I've tried to eliminate as much weight at the transom as I can and run a deep strut. You should see it walk down the straightaways!

Back