Should I finish this boat

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should this boat be painted, finished and run

• yes

Votes: 23 43.4%
  • no

Votes: 30 56.6%

• Total voters

fletch51

A good friend just aquired this very early Gator.

I'm debating finishing it and running it for nostalgia's sake. Is it more nostalgic sitting on a shelf like it is now?

If I do decide to finish the boat, it will get a modern radio system, but I'm also debating whether it should be somewhat modernized and get things like, rubber isolated engine mounts, modern strut and rudder, late model engine or an engine from that period, et cetera

gator.jpg

6566008707_61a91b7f55_m.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If you modernize it then it isnt like it was way back then. Just put it on the shelf and let it be is my vote

At one of the races this year, some of us were talking about pulling out some of our old boats such as you have posted and make a special "vintage class". It would be interesting to see how many people would have an opinion of this as I'm sure we (older members) all have boats hanging on the wall or on the shelf. These would probably have to be updated with new motors as the older ones are no longer available, but maybe points could be awarded for the most original. Radios????? Anyone care to join in? I know there are some 80 MPH heat racing boats from the mid 1980's out there. It may be fun to see what we can come up with.

Rick

"It may be fun to see what we can come up with."

Hey Rick,

The first radio I had in a boat was the Kraft 3 channel 27.145. I held on to it for a lot of years, but trashed all of them before moving from Florida in 2003 after narrow band came out. I vote to update the radios and servos for a Vintage class. I don't recall what torgue a top of the line Kraft KPS-25H had, but it wasn't much - Har, Har !!!

Here's a pic of my first boat - Little Hoss with K&B 40 Dykes ringed engine, stinger hardware and prop, Marine Specialties motor mount, Octura Cool Clamp and Universal, solid shaft supported in a ball bearing stuffing box - Great fun!!!

Second pic was my Friend Frank Blanchard's boat. What engine do you guys think that is?? I know, do you. Foley - be quiet. Har, Har !!!! CHEERS !!! Bob

Bob:

Agree on updating the radios. This first radio I had was the stick Kraft 3 channel brick version. Then guys were using slot car control handles mounted on the back of the case and using Golden Rod push rods to convert to a trigger throttle. Whew.....Some of the crap we did. Also, we had to make a lot of items for our boats that we now order off the shelf. I still have my homemade water pick up rudder on a Marty Davis 40 Crapshooter. Also have a couple of Greg Hughey Crapshooters and an old JVS mono that I would really like to make run again. This could be fun.

Glad you like the idea. How about all you other legends? What do you have to offer?

Rick

Bob:

Agree on updating the radios. This first radio I had was the stick Kraft 3 channel brick version. Then guys were using slot car control handles mounted on the back of the case and using Golden Rod push rods to convert to a trigger throttle. Whew.....Some of the crap we did. Also, we had to make a lot of items for our boats that we now order off the shelf. I still have my homemade water pick up rudder on a Marty Davis 40 Crapshooter. Also have a couple of Greg Hughey Crapshooters and an old JVS mono that I would really like to make run again. This could be fun.

Glad you like the idea. How about all you other legends? What do you have to offer?

Rick

Rick

I have A "RED" Twincraft that belonged to someone.....Hint Hint!!! Oh and a white and green one.. CMB 101 in those old monos, what a wild ride I think I will have to work on that................ :eek: ;) :D

A good friend just aquired this very early Gator.

I'm debating finishing it and running it for nostalgia's sake. Is it more nostalgic sitting on a shelf like it is now?
interesting. What kind of sponson booms/supports are those? Wood?
Yeah, I think a "Vintage" class is a great idea, could bring a number of boaters out of the woodwork, back to the lake.

Funny I remember those "Lil Hoss" boats, these boats (along with Cobra's, and other models) raced in the main "hydro" classes back in the day. Now they are relegated to "Sport 40" class.

The sponson supports are wood....

but it is natural old growth virgin... way better than any titanium or carbon product around these days... ;)

I think you should finish it! I bet someone has a K&B 7.5 in good shape that would work nicely in that Gator.

I think a Vintage (pre-90's) class would be allot of fun and draw more interest than you would think. I wonder who and what would come out of retirement??

My Vintage fleet:

Wing Ding 20, K&B 3.5

Hughey 20 Round nose (Veco 19)

Hughey 40 Round nose (K&B 40)

What's on your wall?

Hi Will I still have a Wing Ding 60 with OPS and a friend of mine has two Spitfire with KB 3,5 and a mono Ruff Stuff 60 in the shelf... all boats like new.........I guess there must be a bunch of people that would like to revive this Golden era.

Gill

Hughey 20 Round nose (Veco 19)
wow, a Veco .19! Was'nt that like the first model engine? B)
Actually, I have:

1. Dumas SK Daddle 60 mono (original 1970's wood kit, brand new in-box), may finish and power with OPS .45, fun cruising only.

2. Pinckert Coyote .67/.80 outrigger, "long wheelbase" (original 1980's 80% built wood kit, brand new in-box), plan to race using brand-new 1980's Picco P67 Silver Head, Carl Brey exhaust throttle, Pinckert 3rd channel valve

3. Prather Piranha .45/.67 outrigger, (1980's epoxy glass kit, brand new in box), may finish and power with OPS .45, M&H carb

I am very glad this is beginning to take off. Will.... glad to hear from you my friend. I hope you are doing well. David...I have an unfinished SK Daddle also. That boat would probably give me a whole lot of heartburn and aggravate my arthritis! :lol: I hope we hear from the rest of you "legends" on what you still got hangin..........on the wall.

Wow, diggin out the ol stuff. I think there's still a "white heat 60" and an old "Dragon fly 40" in my folks attic somewhere way in the back unless they used them in the fireplace :rolleyes: both with modded Supertigres, koolclamps, and dial-a-props.................scary to think I built the white heat in 1972 when ever that was??

good excuse to go look

gh

Back