Shoe Goo

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you are using Shoe Goo to glue nylon fuel tank to the hull, I have found that standard 3M double sided mounting tape works very well and actually better than Shoe Goo. The tape holds strongly to the plastic tank while easily removable using dental floss.

Kez, you were definitely reading my mind! How wide is that mounting tape? Looking for ways to tell if when I go looking I'll know the correct tape. I'd bet I've seen it before...
Thanks.
Ken

Shoe goo works great anytime you need to seal up something inside the radio box.
Never use silicone due to the acrid corrosive fumes it gives off.

I use heat shrink on micro sized toggle switches that encases the switch housing and then squirt shoe goo into the open end of the heat shrink tubing where the battery wires exit.
This protects the switch from vibration, as well as provides a means of strain relief where the wires solder onto the switch tabs.

I also use a dab of goo on my pushrod seals where the rod comes thru the seal. And to bond the seal to the radio box. Great stuff to keep in your tool kit!

I use shoe goo to hold my plastic tanks together. I scuff up the tanks to help give it something to stick too. Work very well.

Shoe Goo, in time, will let go of parts. Same for E-6000 as well as others like that.

We dont use it in model helicopter builds except a small bead to hold plugs into a RX or something like that. Never structural.

Grim

I've used Shoe Goo for so many things for so long... Not sure I would use it to seal up electronics. For the possible problems as with silicone. I've used it to hold steering servos on 10th scale on road cars. I've used it to hold parts on 24th scale drag racing slot cars. It's been the magic elixir for so many problems! Even fixed a bad taillight electric panel that was still working after years when I finally sold the car. But I feared the nitro would be the downfall
of my favorite glue.
Trying to hold a 4 oz. hopper tank in place. The tape may offer some cushion. So that would be a plus!
Thanks guys!!!
Ken

Kez, you were definitely reading my mind! How wide is that mounting tape? Looking for ways to tell if when I go looking I'll know the correct tape. I'd bet I've seen it before...
Thanks.
Ken
Ken,
I use 1/2" tape like the one in the link that Mike posted. Last year I ran out and needed to mount two tanks so I could test my boat on the weekend. I bought a roll of 1/2" tape from Walmart. It was not 3M. Something really inexpensive. I would have been happy if the tape held up for the maiden test. As it turned out, it held up the entire season!

I have used Shoe Goo before but I have since switched to the tape. It holds up better and the best part is that you can remove it using a piece of dental floss.

Thanks,
k

Goop is even better than Shoe Goo or E6000 and used plenty of all 3. I buy E6000 mainly because it comes in tubes with small nozzle. The Shoe Goo and Goop have the large opening.

Another that I have had good luck with is "Household Cement". Its works really nice on ABS to ABS parts.

My new main squeeze is 3M Automotive Trim Adhesive. (not sure how that would work in boating) but.. for all the other junk I do its great!

Grim

I have to thank you guys for all your help and suggestions! You've given me lots of information. A lot to think about! Once I started using Shoe Goo I pretty much quit looking for anything else. Guess I have some products to experience... Again. Thanks for the help!!!
Ken

Latest posts

Back