Shaft Oiler or Grease?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't know yet where I am at on this topic, but I needed a T-bar for my build, so I bought one with an oil cup. The cup has a .020" dia hole for the oil release in the bottom of the cup, it's about .070" at the top of the oil tube. Will this be large enough to run some of the higher viscosity lubes?

Attachments

• thumbnail_20240124_063245.jpg
    thumbnail_20240124_063245.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 0
  • thumbnail_20240124_063302.jpg
    thumbnail_20240124_063302.jpg
    258.2 KB · Views: 0
  • thumbnail_20240124_063354.jpg
    thumbnail_20240124_063354.jpg
    275.3 KB · Views: 0
Tom are you say 2-4-C is NLA or STP with ptfe?
I’m just getting to my last tube of 2-4-C, it’s stickered $4.25. I bought a bunch from a marina going out of business.
I grease for assembly and use oil after the 3rd heat. It’s all messy.
Any one tried Rislone Engine Treatment?
John, the Mercury 101 lube was discontinued years ago.
Replaced by 2-4-C
Doing a Google search, found that Teague Marine is selling it, from the original manufacturer for Mercury.
For those who really like the 101

I’m just getting to my last tube of 2-4-C, it’s stickered $4.25. I bought a bunch from a marina going out of business.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I've been using oilers for more than 20 years. Before that I have probably tried every grease product known to man. Mystic JT-6 is, in my opinion, the undisputed best. Even on a shaft you think has gone dry, run the length of it between your fingers and they will come out slicker than snot. I still use it the first time around on new shafts.

Never tried Rislone in an oiler, but it is an excellent after run oil for nitro engines.

So, what is this Mystic JT-6 and, where does one find it? Also, you stated that you use it first time around on new shafts. Does that mean you use something else after the first time? And, if so, I, WE would like to know why?? Cost?

Ken

So, what is this Mystic JT-6 and, where does one find it? Also, you stated that you use it first time around on new shafts. Does that mean you use something else after the first time? And, if so, I, WE would like to know why?? Cost?

Ken
As I said in my post. For the last 20 years or so I have used oilers mainly because I am LAZY. I have had boats raced and put up for up to 3 years and never removed the shaft. I used to run a lawn service with my son and purchased Mystic JT-6 from a commercial lawnmower dealer to grease the bearings. It has the consistency of vaseline. Haven't needed to by it in a long time as a grease gun tube of the stuff now goes a long way for me. I will see if I can find a source.

You can find Mystic products on Amazon. The packaging has changed (now red, mine is black and green). What you are looking for is multi-purpose grease NLGI No. 2. Also the stuff I have looks like amber vaseline. I hope this helps. This is pretty much what happens when old farts like me are still using old stuff. BTW the old part # is 5484-81. You could maybe contact the mfr.

Description​

Mystik JT-6 Hi-Temp Grease is a high-temperature, lithium-complex grease that combines excellent multi-purpose properties with a high dropping point and low-temperature pumpability that provides a wide operating temperature range. This product provides superior protection in a wide variety of automotive, farm, industrial, recreational vehicle, outdoor power equipment, and marine applications.

Features​

• Engineered to a superior performance level
  • Able to lubricate effectively even under severe conditions
  • Resistant to water washout and high level of rust and EP protection
  • May be used in boat trailer wheel bearings and in a wide variety of automotive, farm, industrial and marine applications

Specifications​

• Oil Type: Grease
  • Oil Viscosity: NLGI 2
  • Container Type: 14 oz Tube
  • Package Size: 14 oz
  • High Mileage Formula: No
  • Green Seal Certified: No
  • Oil Composition: Conventional
  • Container Size: 14 oz
012043~2.jpg
Available at Amazon, Blaine's Farm and Fleet, Tractor Supply....Mystic provides different formulas in petroleum, synthetic, and blends.

Last edited:
I’ve been using this stuff for a few years now and never have a problem. Load up the stuffing tube before a race day, pull out the shaft and wipe it clean after the last run.

I got it at West Marine.

67C891DE-B017-40C9-947B-D47184B4CF00.jpeg

Last edited:
So, has anyone actually witnessed a gain using an oiler vs grease? I still use grease in everything (except outboards) not because I'm opposed to running an oiler but because my plan was to try running them in inboards when I was trying to find some more R's. Honestly, there's always something more important to chase and I just never got there.

Fast forward 25 years and I'm still running Merc 2-4C grease. Believe it or not, most of my cables are over a decade old. I recently replaced one of the oldest and most used cables in my 21 mono as a precaution because the outside strands were looking a little thin. It had a nice even wear though, and basically a polished finish. I only pull them out of the boat before a race day, occasionally they stay in for two. Otherwise, they live in the boat. I've never seen rust on a cable like some will tell you happens. Water does stay in that tube though, but the grease stays also and keeps it from rusting. Whatever's in that grease is good by me from experience alone. I've always wondered when I was going to get bit by my bad habits cleaning cables but it hasn't happened yet.

I see guys run oilers on gas boats and to me it looks like it can be a bit of a headache at times. Oil draining out everywhere or flooding the inside of the hull. They may not have it quite figured out yet either though.

Change my mind, is an oiler faster? I always thought it might make a difference on a 21, I kind of doubt it on a gas boat, but I could be wrong.

Thanks,
Brian
It's not that it's faster , Although it might be , just hate pulling shafts out all weekend at a race
I would rather just fill the cup .

Back