sg21

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Marty,
Our plug burning is getting much better, now that we have switched

to O'Donnell Turbo plugs. We run on the rich side of the needle,but

they seem to hold up much better.

Have Fun Testing,

Mark Sholund

mark

ive been running them in all my motors since your suggestion and they work very well..ran the sg15 with the prop you sent me today, **** scary fast! the small prop worked well also thanks..Martin

Martin,

Now comes the fine tuning. Try a little shorter pipe length and possibly

a little less cup on the propellers. These motors are all about RPM, and

shorter pipes and less cup will work much better once you try it.

Glad Things Are Going Well For You,

Mark Sholund

Marty,

Have Fun Testing,

Mark Sholund

mark

ive been running them in all my motors since your suggestion and they work very well..ran the sg15 with the prop you sent me today, **** scary fast! the small prop worked well also thanks..Martin

Martin:

You know that ("**** scary fast" regarding a toy boat) sounds REALLY FUNNY coming from you after this past weekend :lol:

Marty Davis

Marty,

Have Fun Testing,

Mark Sholund

mark

Martin:

You know that ("**** scary fast" regarding a toy boat) sounds REALLY FUNNY coming from you after this past weekend :lol:

Marty Davis

haha i hear ya marty, its just funny to watch something so small go like that, insane is the better term !

mark, i can definently run the pipe shorter, i was at 8 inches today but cant get any shorter with the pipes i have, need to find one that is able to go shorter..i also need to learn how to tweak the cup on these props..

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you tried your squarewave on it yet?
jon,

i started out with the square wave, it ran good at the shortest length i could get it which was 8 1/2 inches,was easy to launch and had good power,just cant get it any shorter without cutting it which im trying to avoid..i also ran the ab21ss pipe at 8 inches, and got a litle more rpm but it can also stand to be shorter..they both turn the 947/3 easy..i need to find something that i can get shorter than both of those,or thinks its shorter.. right now my header is cut about 1/4 before the bend starts..

mtruex,

it is hard to get them real short with the 180 degree header.. about 7 1/2 i think is max and that is pushing it for the header and pipe to not be cut so much that the coupler won't hold.

chris

ran my sg21 today with mac21, ab21xt pipe at 7 1/4 and 1445 and burned two plugs (65% nitro) . i have not ran it since the weather got warm but when it was cold it had no trouble burning plugs..at the same time it is not as fast as i think it should be ,and does not rev like i think it should with this setup..my thought is that im leaning it out to try and get it to sing but i dont think the motor has enough load on it..little longer pipe and more prop maybe? any help would be appreciated thanks guys, MT
MT: Remember MT as the temperture of air goes from cold to hot the more moisture the air holds. This happens because cooler air has more oxygen molecules which aids in better combustion. As the temperature of air increases grains of moisture displace oxygen molecules making the combustion process less efficient. This results in less hp. The grains of moisture make up vapor pressure in the air. As the vapor pressure increases ,the grains of moisture displaces volume in the camber,increasing the compression ratio. The increase in compression ratio will brake and deform glow elements. As air tempertures cools the vapor pressure decreases grains of moisture are displaced with oxygen molecules and compression ratio return to normal and hp increases. The general rule of thumb is between cold/cooler months and hot warmer/hot months expect 10-15 % reduction in HP NOTE: IF EVERYTHING ELSE REMAINS CONSTANT. Hopes this helps. Dan Mccormick

Martin, I made the header insert on the final production version pipes a little longer so they would telescope over some folks precut header pipes. Some header pipes are out of round, and don't telescope well. You are able to telescope the pipe over the header pipe, correct? As long as you have a little (~1/8") of the cylindrical section on the ID of the pipe you'll be fine. The cylindrical section is 17/32" long on the CNC inserts, so cutting ~.4" from the header end should be no issue; there is stuill about 0.6" of the insert in the square transition, so it won't come loose. I have one 180* header pipe that is actually cut about 1/8" into the bend. It still telescopes ~1/8" into the pipe, but I also water cool my header pipes to help the couple life (and preheat the head cap water ;) ).

Marty, Are you running the 2008 CMB liner (19.5mm OD) in your MAC?

I can say that 7 3/8" is too short on my MAC21 Seaducer. It would't get on the pipe at all. It was my second prototype pipe that I had reworked from a NR to MAC style and left the header end too short. I have since reworked it and will try it at 8.25" in a couple Saturdays.

Martin, I made the header insert on the final production version pipes a little longer so they would telescope over some folks precut header pipes. Some header pipes are out of round, and don't telescope well. You are able to telescope the pipe over the header pipe, correct? As long as you have a little (~1/8") of the cylindrical section on the ID of the pipe you'll be fine. The cylindrical section is 17/32" long on the CNC inserts, so cutting ~.4" from the header end should be no issue; there is stuill about 0.6" of the insert in the square transition, so it won't come loose. I have one 180* header pipe that is actually cut about 1/8" into the bend. It still telescopes ~1/8" into the pipe, but I also water cool my header pipes to help the couple life (and preheat the head cap water ;) ).

I can say that 7 3/8" is too short on my MAC21 Seaducer. It would't get on the pipe at all. It was my second prototype pipe that I had reworked from a NR to MAC style and left the header end too short. I have since reworked it and will try it at 8.25" in a couple Saturdays.
jon, yes im running the cmb liner in my mac, i dont think its 2008 though..i will work on getting it shorter..thanks guys

Jon:

Yes, I am running the CMB liner with the eyebrow exhaust ports (NOT the latest CMB liner). I bought several from the guy in China at about $85. The eyebrow's are covered in the MAC. The timings are exactly what I like and the engines runs pretty well. It makes about 2.1 HP as compared to the newest CMB which makes 2.6+.

Marty

Martin,

I have some curved couplers that the car guys run, and they work very well for

your set up. I will send you one next week with another V-947/3 or 2047 S.S.

propeller for you to try. The sponson angle will help with the transom lift.

Thanks,

Mark Sholund

Martin,
I have some curved couplers that the car guys run, and they work very well for

your set up. I will send you one next week with another V-947/3 or 2047 S.S.

propeller for you to try. The sponson angle will help with the transom lift.

Thanks,

Mark Sholund

thanks mark :)

jon, i got it down to 7 3/4 and still have a little header that is straight, i think i can get it down to 7 1/2 if i need to.. ill let you know how it works thanks Martin

Martin,

7" or less is what you would like to get to if possible for a pipe length.

We are under 7" right now with great RPM on our S.A.W. boat. You

may have to switch to a front exhaust engine like a Valvola 21 or MAC 21.

We actually run our pipe right off the exhaust port stub.

Good Luck Testing,

Mark Sholund

Martin,
7" or less is what you would like to get to if possible for a pipe length.

We are under 7" right now with great RPM on our S.A.W. boat. You

may have to switch to a front exhaust engine like a Valvola 21 or MAC 21.

We actually run our pipe right off the exhaust port stub.

Good Luck Testing,

Mark Sholund
Mark, measuring from where to where?

Robert

Robert,

Center of the piston to the weld on our pipes. I know you all think that is really

short and it is,but we get great RPM with lower exhaust timing numbers this way.

Note: You will have to adjust your intake timing and propellers to run this way.

Have Fun Testing,

Mark Sholund

Robert,
Center of the piston to the weld on our pipes. I know you all think that is really

short and it is,but we get great RPM with lower exhaust timing numbers this way.

Note: You will have to adjust your intake timing and propellers to run this way.

Have Fun Testing,

Mark Sholund

Thanks for the reply.

Robert

Back