set up advice

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Koch

OK OK, I know I know...

so the newbie wants to know what to buy. I need to get my servos, my tank, linkage and stuff and would like to know what the masses are using.

Please let me know.

Stearing=

Throttle=

3rd channel mix=

where do Iget the cables and linkage???

I need to get this going ASAP.

Also, FASST or not FAAST? 2.4 or FM? lipo or LiFe

I need some info my brothers...

thanks in advance.

I got a Lynx and a OS OB so far. I was thinking 6oz with 2 hopper?

645mg steering hitec

225 if looking for micro or mini for throttle and 3rd channel

I personally like FASST 2.4 3pm is a good choice

Linkage I preffer pull pull setup as in cable check local hobby shop or Tower

Not sure you need hopper setup for os but 8 OZ should be fine

I was reading where the hi-tecs have issues due to voltage when mixed with the faast systems??

thoughts

I was reading where the hi-tecs have issues due to voltage when mixed with the faast systems??

thoughts
Not sure about that???? lots of fellas runing that setup..... I run it and have had zero problems... You do how ever have to run 6volts to reciever.....

thoughts
The Hi-tec 81 & 82's seem to have problems period. The Hi-tec 85 works great with the Fasst System as well as the 645. I run this servo combo with the Fasst system with 6 volts in 9 different boats with no issues.

Robert

ok, what about the m11x from airtronics, I am thinking this is the Tx for me. 4 ch so I can run canards on my t4 and I can't find any bad stuff on it????

thanks gents, keep it comming

Bob.. the 2.4 radio deal has to be switched on the trans if, you run digital servos, etc... the 645 is an analog servo, along with the stated micros.... i'm not in the know on mixing one or two of each, and procedure there, as I dont do digital servos in a boat application.....

The 645 is a high torque servo needed for steering the boat, the others can be fitted as space warrants...

I run, golden cable steering cables... ( LHS) soldered with adjustable clevis' some use solid 440 rods with wheel collars for adjustments... a point, you'll need as you raise, lower, tip and trim the engine......

Carb linkage same golden rod setup.... with flex left in for turning the engine...... solidly mounted at the engine steering arm point.....

The pull pull wheels about, work... but with blow offs, and abuse, i chased keeping the thin cables on the wheel or breakage, solved local fishing tackle store...... carrying a crimper, and ferrules for the boats on this application......

Assumedly youre setting up a sport boat, for no pipe/etc was mentioned, and the OS engine and accompanying carb works very well....

the OS is very needle freindly, meters well.... choice, if you feel 3rd channel is what you want......

Obtain an OS remote needle base and the needle assembly, mounted to the transom top, same golden cable setup as others, and you'll have to have your carb needle modified, etc....

If, youre succesful, and able to pack it all in the box the 3rd channel can be a great race day asset.... I tune all my tunnels manually, and while it may cost me a heat, it wont cost 2....... I just have become that familiar with my engines......

Run down to John's house and copy what he has.... his tunnels compete, and a clean R box build will show you how to.

Good luck, and test well..... Mike

I agree with everything Mike Larson said except for one thing. I run 4-40 rods for my steering on all my boats. As for servos,I run Hitec metal gears only. I use the Futaba 4PK radio and love it! A six oz main tank with a one oz hopper should be plenty for the stock OS.

Bob Kensill

Bob K... the only downside with cable systems i dislike is the wobble... which the solids sure would help.... as the man with about a hundred tunnel records, i'd listen, easily. I sorta dont like from what i've seen, the 3 or 4 wheel collar deals guys install on the solids to be the attachment/adjustment point?...... straightening out bent rods after blowoffs gets frustrating also.....

Robart and the old school hotshot used to have a pretty cool system, and i've bought some trick water proof inserts similar in the past from capt Vic....

The newer low profile tunnel boats out there have got a way better shot at a single no bend run to the steering arm..... havent stepped into one yet.......

Tunnels guys abound.... maybe somebody, anybody can give a pic of a serious clean r box and rod set up for Koch, as he looks to get his boat set..... i'm always open to change..... good luck mike

Futaba 3305 steering, 3102 throttle and 3rd channel. Steering linkage is a personal preference kind of thing. When I started out I used 440 pushrods, after a few boats I tried pull pull cables, I prefer the cables on a servo wheel. I personally don't like Hitec servos. Every one I have ever used in a six volt system buzzed or hummed at idle, if it's making noise it's using current, and draining the receiver pack. Your mileage may vary.

Mike... yeah thats how I roll too.... I even run cut zip ties on the wheel to prevent the cable rolling off...

Cut down futaba servo arm and soldered clevis' on some boats...... it's all good..... thanks for the pics... mike

Back