Servo Questions ?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alan Elzer

What's the pros & cones for servos now days for boats? Need where to get service done on brands (savox, futuba, hitec & hobbico..extra any others too? Analog verses digital ? I'll be using 6.6 v life batterys. Thnx for any info helpful..

PS: wanting it for steering mostly. 20, 40, 60 tunnels & sport 20 & 40 hydro

Analog produces the rated torque at the end of it's stroke while digital is constant torque through the stroke. Some people have problems with Hitec and are going to Futaba but I can't say I have had the same problems but I am changing over to Savox water proof servos. I use the small ones for throttle and 3rd channel and the 208 ounce for rudder.

Brad

The only hitec I’ve had issue with are the 225.
Use hitec in everything. I recommend digital. As stated above full or near full torque from the get go and centering.
No matter what brand I recommend digital.

Thnx. I've been using hitec for some yrs now cause of very good service. But wanted to ask

Just be aware that lots of servos claim to have "metal gear trains" and that's good. But for high stress steering servos, that can mean aluminum and brass gears. Those "metal" gears can be damaged pretty easily. You may be better off to choose steel gears for steering.

Running in one of the Savox SV's right at 7v. Titanium geared wizzbang. Lets hope so. Don't be brave and get your fingers in there as it cycles. **** thing. $22 for the gear set with bearings. Easy enough to open up and corrosion x.

Are digital servos all going to have metal gears? If you had preferences whats reasonable choice on type for the buck? Looking for a torch range of 100 to 150 oz's & paired together for push pull setup

Hobbico Servos are no more.. you might however be able to find Tactic.. (an old Hobbico line that Horizon now owns)..

I am not sure what the repair turnaround is for Futaba USA but there focus is optimizing out of there Huntsville location and re-building there sales network.

Digital.. because you have ZERO reason not to.. and MANY benefits for doing so.

Also.. When it comes to servo speed and the extremely fast transit speeds we are seeing in the market they truly do us limited good. IF HOWEVER you had digital stabilization (Which we do not at this time) then we could use those speeds..

You want as much durability and power as you can get for your money.. dont concentrate on servo speed.

Grim

Hobbico Servos are no more.. you might however be able to find Tactic.. (an old Hobbico line that Horizon now owns)..

I am not sure what the repair turnaround is for Futaba USA but there focus is optimizing out of there Huntsville location and re-building there sales network.

Digital.. because you have ZERO reason not to.. and MANY benefits for doing so.

Also.. When it comes to servo speed and the extremely fast transit speeds we are seeing in the market they truly do us limited good. IF HOWEVER you had digital stabilization (Which we do not at this time) then we could use those speeds..

You want as much durability and power as you can get for your money.. dont concentrate on servo speed.

Grim
Grim.. in past I've ran plastic gears. Cause if something needs to give it's the gear. But if metal then whats most likely to break or give elsewhere ?

Hobbico got taken out by Spektrum. Good stuff the Futaba dealer doesn't want you to know about.

Gyros are digital stabilization and have been in use for years. Even Futaba. Maybe not in boats.....

Digitals will draw more peak current and will cause bigger voltage drops on your receiver battery if it can't keep up.

Alan, in the past.. way back.. I ran some servos (not Futaba, shall remain nameless) that had the idler gear pin (gear shaft) bend..

I have also broken a case.. (yes in a blow over)..

Need less to say.. I have not had any of those issues in years..

Grayson... Hobbico took itself out, and boy did they ever!.. Horizon was strong enough to make an offer and buy the company. Futaba however was not part of the Horizon deal.

Been public knowledge for some time now (over a year). Not sure I understand the "Stuff the Futaba dealer doesn't want you to know".. you know Horizon owns Tower Hobbies and they sell Futaba.. right.. So..... Horizon does sell Futaba they are just did not pick up the import part of the company.

Regarding battery power. Alan, stick with HV servos and 6.6 LiFe.. you will be glad you did. No muss no fuss.. just reliable results!

Grim

Latest posts

Back