Secret recipies for tuned pipes

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foolwitools

Hi Guys!

I've had a few discussions with a few people about tuned pipes recently. There has been the classification issue, and the noise issue...........but above all that, we who are just starting to get "on the pipe" would like to know if you who have been there will share some tips with us.................I'll start by sharing some info from a " Garcia Mini Marine Informational Bulletin". I found this mimeographed single page at the bottom of a box of stuff I got from an older hobbiest................If you don't know the name, Lee Garcia made a lot of pipes in the early 80's and beyond, but that's all I know about him 'cept what he wrote . If I had a scanner, I'd copy the whole page here........ but I'll try to hit the hilights.......

He says:

The shorter the length of the pipe to the high point( the larger diam of the pipe), the higher your rpm range.........shorten the pipe until you are in the RPM range you want. As you shorten the pipe, open the needle. If you are sagging in the turns,you are both too long and too lean. shorten the header a little more and richen the needle. If still sluggish in the straights, reduce the stinger diameter by tapping (denting) the stinger to reduce the I.D. If this helps,try more until the motor starts to choke, then open it back up a little. sometimes, cuting 1/8" off the stinger helps......

this is from an undated sheet with no copyright markings.........

Remember, these tips are about 20 tears old. I'll send a photocopy to you if you send your mailing address..........

I'm sure that there are a lot of things most of you think of as "general knowlege" about pipes. These things are what we newer boaters want to know.

I'll be the first to offer to write it all down to have something to give others who ask the same questions.......I'm sure I'm not the first.

Thanks in advance to all those who offer to share their knowlege and experiance.......

Bob the Fool :blink:

Bob, thanks for putting all that up. There's so many times that I get to the lake and either I'll have a problem or a friend will have a problem with a boat that will try to remember everyone's secret for success that it's an over load. It's so much easier to say "check the plug, fatten it up" that you forget to extend or shorten the pipe. That plays a huge roll in speed.

Hi Guy's

In case you don't know if you use a muffled tune pipe it makes you motor fat. This relates to the increae in backpressure and variation in scavenging. Muffled pipes always act like they are a little longer. The biggest thing I don't know is the relationship between pipe volume, some motors like large volumes - some small, and the length and the RPM expected.

There are some really knowledgable 'newbies' on this board that can provide a much better insight but they wil be hanging on the general forum. TimD did a bunch of research on this subject that he might like to share????

GT :unsure:

Back