seaducer darting to the right at top speed

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moontz

Have a seaducer 60/80 that is darting to the right when it comes on pipe and loosens up. Any obvious reasons for this? I am shimming the strut with a slight angle to try to compensate for prop walk (speedmaster strut came with a antiwalk shim) but this seems beyond normal prop walk and something else might be causing the darting.

Also, what should the tendency of the boat be when not at top speed? I would think it would tend to go left slightly from the anti walk angle on strut, but it always seems to want to bear right even at low speeds.

Thanks for the help

Brian

Last edited by a moderator:
You should use Jerrys harware it has a slight angle to it also you wont have this trouble. Seaducer Boats 954-493-7387

Might be off base here...but move the strut up higher in its mount and let us know if it helps.

This is something I was thinking of with my own boat...but need to go back out to test it. At first, my boat was porpoising down the straights, and I can't remember if it was pulling as hard to the right. I lowered the strut which took care of the porpoising, but I got to the point where I had to put full left rudder in while it was going down the straights in an attempt to try to keep the boat straight. Of course this meant that if the keel hit the water, it darted to the left. After I got home I started thinking about it, and wondering if it was pulling that hard to the right when the strut was higher...and if I could find a happy medium...

I realize that you are running a seaducer, and my boat is a speedmaster...and don't really know what you will need to do if it works (stops pulling hard right). For me, I should be able to tune the porpoising out with my trim tabs...

Sean

With Out the Seaducer produced hardware you a fighting a up hill battle. As staye the hardware for this boat is specifically machined with all of the degrees in the bracket and the strut not to metion the hull. You are asking questions that most SD owners can not answer. Most have never tried to set the boat up with out SD hardware.

The spedmaster Antiwalk strut if I have the right one ,even with a degree plate , will not have the correct offset. The work required to make the hull work with out the hardware is more costly than buy the hardware. Your price on your time is valuable. Spend the money get the whole strut kit and them the post on the 40 mono by Chris Wood will give you all of the set tip and answer that you are looking for.

So very true Chuck this is why Jerry has spent alot of time on these boats run what he says dont cut corners you will have a great boat if you set it up like he says. Robert

got the strut. found a local hobby shop that sells seaducer hardware. will try today or tomorrow. I also saw a seaducer rudder. they only had the 20 and 40 rudders in stock so didnt make the purchase. but does the rudder system by seaducer have anything special or am i ok with the speedmaster rudder?

I can tell you what to do with this seaducer... Get rid of that strut and run a speedmaster stinger strut. set it about 2 degrees positive and take almost all the steering out of it. run it loose and it will corner much better. My seaducers run real good.

Bob

Its better with the seaducer strut, but still not what i hoped for. At top speed I have to have constant pressure on left rudder or else it will turn right. Nice thing i dont have to steer around the right turns as it does it by itself B) Anyway, any other ideas or is drifting right a normal occurance. I double checked every measurement against directions and all are right on. Rudder cut correctly. Prop is sharp and close to perfect balance.

When looking at instructions pics of the transom, one difference is my prop is in line with the rudder where in the pics in the instuctions the prop sits a little back from the rudder. The rudder seems closer to the transom in the instruction pics. This might have an effect?

Thanks again for the help.

Brian

Please post top , side and rear views of the boat if you want to fix this issue . Use tinypic.com and you can host pics without using too much band with . The turn fin is also critical on the seaducer as well as profiling the rudder blade up high where it becomes blunt and unsharpened , it must be sanded and profiled to reduce drag on the right side of the hull

Please post top , side and rear views of the boat if you want to fix this issue . Use tinypic.com and you can host pics without using too much band with . The turn fin is also critical on the seaducer as well as profiling the rudder blade up high where it becomes blunt and unsharpened , it must be sanded and profiled to reduce drag on the right side of the hull
Will do. I appreciate all the help.

Have a seaducer 60/80 that is darting to the right when it comes on pipe and loosens up. Any obvious reasons for this? I am shimming the strut with a slight angle to try to compensate for prop walk (speedmaster strut came with a antiwalk shim) but this seems beyond normal prop walk and something else might be causing the darting.
Also, what should the tendency of the boat be when not at top speed? I would think it would tend to go left slightly from the anti walk angle on strut, but it always seems to want to bear right even at low speeds.

Thanks for the help

Brian
Check battery voltage with load tester, Servo condition & size, Make sure the radio box fits the boat Snug (Shim if nessary) Make sure the turn fin is Spec & Mounted correctly Also (Not too long it will grab the water & pull the boat to the right) Make sure the rudder blade is Not Bent?? just a few things to check. jw

I don’t know if it’s the same thing happing. I had a SD3 60/80 that got T boned and I didn’t feel like fixing it at the time. A friend of mine gave me an older SD3 60/80 that was new. I put all the seaducer hard wear on it and set it up identical to my other one. I had the issue if it laying on it’s right side and having to hold a lot of left in to it.

Prop was sharp rudder was sharp. Everything was right. I fixed the other boat and put the hard wear back on it and ran it, straight as an arrow? I tossed the other boat in the garbage. I figured it was twisted?

I agree with Joe W, as one possible cause could be.....

I have 40 rigger and one day at the pond as the boat came onto pipe it would turn right very aggressively. I brought it back to the table and then called an experienced boater(Eric Canto) and he immediately said check batt. and servo.

Voltage was fine on the bench (w/ radio on of course)until i put pressure on the rudder(load similar to what Joe mentioned) and then the voltage dropped drastically. I changed the batt. and the problem was solved.

I run a 90 SD3 and can say that you must run the SD hardware or you will be chasing gremlins for a while. I would recommend an X series prop to start out with as the SD's are very prop sensitive. As mentioned above you need a lot of steering servo torque to keep the boat going where you want it. If there is slop in the linkage, radio box mounting, etc this will make it worse.

Finally was able to get it out today. Busy last couple of weeks at work. Anyhow, it ran straight as an arrow. 2 things were changed. Radio box had a couple mm of play so I tightend that up and I moved the prop back 1/4 inch (per intsructions). Thanks for all the help. I think eliminating the small amount of play from the radio box was what fixed it.

Back