scale windshields

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Ferrette

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Vendor
Where are you fellow scale guys getting windshields from???? The one that was sent to me by the builder that supposedly was for my Smokin' Joe's wasn't near correct & after 2 days of screwin' with it trying to make it work I tossed it. :angry:

Last edited by a moderator:
Don,

mine from Thunder Boats was no better. He basically cut a long rectangular strip and glued in what would be the cock pit. The windshield is just laid in there, no glue no screws nothing, if you blow on it it flaps around. There's a flat tray in the cowl where you supposed to pop it out and you use that to detail the cock pit out but he made the tabs so tight I'm gonna have to cut it all out and re do it, then I can secure the windshield. Do you plan to screw yours in or glue it?

Also, Can't you get some acetate paper that people use to make stencils out of to cut a windshield from? It comes in various thickness, I used it for my Maus Tunnelhull when I cut out the window area in the cowl to make a cock pit. Held up pretty good and I even think it comes in tinted shades as well. You can find it in art stores near the air brush supplies.

Also, Can't you get some acetate paper that people use to make stencils out of to cut a windshield from?  It comes in various thickness, I used it for my Maus Tunnelhull when I cut out the window area in the cowl to make a cock pit.  Held up pretty good and I even think it comes in tinted shades as well.  You can find it in art stores near the air brush supplies.
78989[/snapback]

Hmmm, good idea, I'll look there today as well. B)

Don, SIG MFG. sells clear plastic sheets for windshield material.

You need at least .040 thick or the water will break it out. Make a paper pattern to fit, then cut out the shape on the flat platic sheet, lay it in or on the cowl and use a heat gun to soften the plastic it will take the form of the cowl. I have used shoe goo to hold the windshield in and to seal it to the cowl so water spray cant get into the engine.

Don Sig also makes some 1/4 scale airplane canopy that might work too..I've use them before when I couldn't make one from flat stock plastic...

Phil Thomas I had the same idea for my next project but I found the stuff at Lonestar Balsa. How Would you tint it? I was think of the That tint stuff that the car guys use for there windsheild but I can't think of the name of it. <_< B)

Well here's an update on the windshield canopy search. I got canopies sent from Pat Bristol & Troy (R/C Sportscraft) McIntire. Both are nice but I decided to try Troy's first & it was PERFECT! Well made, nice & thick too. It fit quite well initially & with some very minor warming achieved the final close tolerance fit. Troy's canopy is a FULL length F-16 canopy that you can use in either direction depending on which fit is best. I'm very pleased with what Troy sent (Pat's are nice too but not full length, I'll save them) & would recommend his canopy without reservation. THANKS Troy!! :D

Back