scale steering wheels

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRoth265

I'm building the 75 Weisfields and need a scale steering wheel 1 3/4" in dia. Can anyone help? Greg :)

Larry Kraemer has them, though I'm not sure of the diameter. Here's a list of things he sent me a while back

Drivers (Classic or Modern) $ 15.00 ea

Custom-made Driver's Uniforms 25.00 ea

Exhaust Stacks – (Merlin or Allison) 12.00 pr

Valve Covers (Merlin or Allison) 8.00 pr

Intake Manifolds (Merlin or Allison) 6.00 pr

Air scoops (for carburetor) 2.00 ea

Turbochargers 6.00 pr

Steering Wheels (4-spoke flat or 3-spoke dished) 4.00 ea

Seats 4.00 ea

Rear-view Mirrors 5.00 pr

Instrument Panels (w/ paper dials) 5.00 ea

Complete Engine Kits (Merlin, Allison or Turbo-Allison) 50.00 ea

Please include $5.00 for shipping !!

This is just an idea how to make one, but have you thought about looking at making an O-ring steering wheel?

O-rings come in all sizes and cross-section widths, and making the spokes wouldn't be too difficult using Evergreen styrene, small drill bits and an Exacto knife.

I've built them before with scale plastic models and the only thing you really have to be careful of when building one to make it turn out nice is making sure the spokes are slightly under the ID of the O-ring when you go to glue them in, otherwise it will push the ring out of round. Use gap filling superglue and try and bridge it.

Metal rings can also be found at the hardware store if you want to try and solder one, but making steel or brass spokes would be a bit harder to hack out than styrene.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is just an idea how to make one, but have you thought about looking at making an O-ring steering wheel?
O-rings come in all sizes and cross-section widths, and making the spokes wouldn't be too difficult using Evergreen styrene, small drill bits and an Exacto knife.

I've built them before with scale plastic models and the only thing you really have to be careful of when building one to make it turn out nice is making sure the spokes are slightly under the ID of the O-ring when you go to glue them in, otherwise it will push the ring out of round. Use gap filling superglue and try and bridge it.

Metal rings can also be found at the hardware store if you want to try and solder one, but making steel or brass spokes would be a bit harder to hack out than styrene.
FLAT or DISHED? I have a dished one from PitCat on here. Its plastic

Thanks Mikey but its a flat wheel. Does anyone have a phone # for Larry? Thanks Greg

I'm building the 75 Weisfields and need a scale steering wheel 1 3/4" in dia. Can anyone help? Greg :)
Hi Greg! I left you a phone message a couple weeks ago & never heard back. I work swing so sometimes I play phone tag alot. My 4-spoke flat wheel is 2 1/16" & 3-spoke dished is 1 15/16". Best time to call is 8 AM to 2PM or e-mail [email protected].

Thanks - Larry K

This is not to take away form Larry.. he has darn good stuff and he is a very importation to our hobby.. this is just an option..

If you like I can likely cnc machine you one (flat spoked). You would however need to add the grip material. Or maybe I can?

I can make it out of G10 for a fast cut and you can paint it or I can machine it out of Aluminum and you can detail all you want..

making one or 10 is just cut time.. time to draw would be my largest time investment. I would also have to do some checking on what thickness looks best.

You know.. if aluminum i bet I can press bend the hub to make them dished as well... Let me think..

Cost in G-10 around 4 bucks each and in aluminum around 15..

Give me some basic diameters to design to..

Right now Im looking at a 1- 3/4" wheel (can make 3 and 4 spoke)

Others?

Grim

OK.. i was bored..

Here is what they might look like...if you want size and print these and use them for patterns.. I dont care... I can also Laser cut from 1/16" Ply

Grim

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike Z,

I already have a 4-spoke drawn in 3D. I'll try to dig it up and send it to you. I made several on a rapid prototype machine a few years back when I did the Gypsy.

Dennis

Mike Z,
I already have a 4-spoke drawn in 3D. I'll try to dig it up and send it to you. I made several on a rapid prototype machine a few years back when I did the Gypsy.

Dennis

I would be interested in one of those Dennis if you have any. Or if Mike Z starts making them.

Cheers,

Kevin

This is not to take away form Larry.. he has darn good stuff and he is a very importation to our hobby.. this is just an option..
If you like I can likely cnc machine you one (flat spoked). You would however need to add the grip material. Or maybe I can?

I can make it out of G10 for a fast cut and you can paint it or I can machine it out of Aluminum and you can detail all you want..

making one or 10 is just cut time.. time to draw would be my largest time investment. I would also have to do some checking on what thickness looks best.

You know.. if aluminum i bet I can press bend the hub to make them dished as well... Let me think..

Cost in G-10 around 4 bucks each and in aluminum around 15..

Give me some basic diameters to design to..

Right now Im looking at a 1- 3/4" wheel (can make 3 and 4 spoke)

Others?

Grim
Has anyone thought about cutting out wheels on a water jet or wire edm? A friend on this forum sent me a flat 4 spoke a few months ago. Cut on a water jet or wire edm from 1/8 alum.-drilled the center hub for a 6-32 button head screw. Made a small spud for for the engine lathe and rounded the outer edges and thinned the spokes on both sides-looks great-outer 1/8 diameter will be painted black and spokes-about .045"thick will be clear coated. Grim use T-3 or "O" (annealed Alum.) and overbend about 10% to compensate for springback.

Kevin,

I don't have any left. Perhaps we can talk Grim into making a few for us.

Dennis

I have the file.. Thanks Dennis..

I have a few posible options.. Let me think..

Grim

Sorry I haven't been around for a while my Dad is having health problems. Larry did call me back but I just haven't had a chance to call him back. It sounds like he has what I need. Grim your option sounds interesting, Please keep me informed. Thanks Greg

Back