SAW Timing System

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CarlHansen

I'm looking to buy or build a timing system for SAW events in NZ, I understand that the systems used in the USA have been custom built, I would be happy to pay for a proven reliable design, any help will be much appreciated.

Carl Hansen

I have been working on a new system. The system has been tested but not on the lake. It will be using Banner scanners that have a range of 500'. We are planning to test it soon and we may even try it with a wireless setup. The system uses a PLC with a HMI colored touch screen that has some special screens that will give some very special information. The PLC has timer functions that will time in the 0.0005 seconds. Should work fine. The only question is the wireless system timing to get the signal back from the transmitter compared to wire. The system cost will be about $1500.00 for wired and $2500.00 for wireless if it works out. This will be about the cost on the equipment. Not trying to make any money just make a better mouse trap.

Maybe Terry Kelley can help him they have a nice one in Michigan they use for saw
Yup, that's the IMPBA's Northern set maintained by Mike Nowicki.
default_smile.png

Thanks for your help guys. Mark when do you think you will be testing your system? Your system sounds very interesting. I would also like to check out the IMPBA system, does anybody have Randall Thomas's contact info? I will PM Don Maher to see what he knows.

Bill Briton was working on a system and a program for using a PC (laptop) hooked to laser beam switching relays. One of the issues was length of wire at the time. Now there seems to be better Wifi systems out there. Using a common PC could eliminate a lot of hardware.

Mic

Plan on trying it by our next record trial. Will setup both systems together and see what we have.

Mic, A PC is to slow. You can not get the thru put of signals of a timing process in a PC. Also the reason I was talking about Wifi is it looks good but I can not get a good answer from Banner whether it work faster than wire or not.

Andy, Randall's system is a good system. It is solid and has giving many years of good service. The PhotoSwitch scanners we use are very old and are not longer produce. I supplied some of the first scanners when we went into this type of timing. There maybe some Chines copies of them out there and there are many of them still on the shelves The equipment I have chosen is off the shelf components.

Last edited by a moderator:
To all those that remember me thank you.

Yes I am the person the re-build all the IMPBA timing systems plus the private systems for Bob Morton and Brain Blazer. I would be happy to help.

A general note on cost is in $1500 range for the two sensor timing system the last time I priced it out. That would include the console and two sets of timing eyes.

Back