Sardine Classic - Sunday results and recap

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drobie

Fantastic weather all day...lots sun and light breezes that set up the record breaking day that it became.

N2 Hydro

1st: Paul Pachmayer

2nd: Dan Proulx

3rd: Charlie Toms

LSH

1st: Larry Caputo

2nd: Charlie Toms

3rd: Dan Proulx

A great class contest. (Although we acknowlege and commend Dennis for his 2:09 heat in TX, unfortunately, the record wasn't submitted.) Charlie's 2:12 in the second heat has been documented, the paperwork is signed and it will be Fed X'd to NAMBA in the morning. 3 watches on his boat confirmed the time.

Charlie and Dan both won their first two heats. Throughout the contest we manually mixed the last heat of each class based on round 1 and 2 results to make sure the fastest racers faced each other. The 3rd round of LSH was a dog fight with Dan in the lead and Charlie nipping at his heals through the first several laps. Dan caught some chop about a third of the way into the race and flipped in the turn with Charlie two close to avoid him. Both ended up doing a stationary backstroke.

Larry cruised through with the heat win, and when added to two seconds in Rounds 1 and 2, he took home top wood for the class.

But the big suprise, and one that he'll be reading here for the first time was Jeff Wohlt. There was actually a 3 way tie for 2nd place which included Jeff. Charlie and Dan won with faster times.

N2 Mono

1st: Dan Proulx in another NAMBA record time of 1:03.43, shaving 5 second off of Dick Crowe's record.

2nd: Jeff Cirves

3rd: Mark Anderson

Those of us who have been racing with Dan for several years knew he had a record setting boat. His N2 Sabre is a sight to behold. Ballistic and steady, running ovals over and over as if on rails. Since I've met Dan, his only heat losses in this class have been to choppy water. That boat is unbeatable. Congratulations Dan.

P Mono

1st: Larry Caputo.

2nd: Charlie Toms

3rd: Doug (I love this boat) Peterson.

For the second year in a row, Larry proved that fast is not everything. Although far from the fastest boat on Lake Marion, Larry kept his on the water for the class win.

By far the fastest P Mono on the pond was Doug Peterson's of the home club. (And that's among a handfull that regulary GPS in the mid-40's. One of these days, Doug will get to where he can work a little less and race a little more and he and his son Nic will own this class.

O Sport

1st: Dan Proulx

2nd: Mark Anderson

3rd: Paul Pachmayer

P Hydro:

1st: Charlie Toms

2nd: Doug Robichaud (who threw Kermit into the class just to give the crowd a thrill)

3rd: Dan Proulx

What a great weekend. Thanks to everyone who came, for all the great sportmanship and comaraderie, to Andy Kunz who did a spectacular job as CD and to all our sponsors who helped us put on the show.

Ray Fuller, Chris at Fine Design, Tom Prozetka at Octura, Steve and Sarah Hill of Battlepacks.com, Peter Richards of Climate Boatworks, Steven Vaccaro of Offshorelectrics.com, The Hobby Horse of Madison and RC Performance also of Madison.

Also, the Mazomanie Barracudas Swim Team for running stopwatches, and Sandy Peterson and Kathy Robichaud for keeping the hospitality tent well stocked with food, drink and snacks all weekend and....5-10 other locals who volunteered to act as turn marshalls.

What a crew!

Nice job GUYS!!!!.That is a smokin time for a Viper.You have learned well young Jedi.Now you need to bring it to the NATS.Could you imagin aheat with me ,you Paul P and Dick ?Yehaaaaaah !!!!!!HmmmmmmmAre sure that was 10 laps ? ;)

Dennis,

Thanks for that post. Given what has transpired in LSH this year, it shows a lot of class on your part.

I'm guessing the LSH dogfight at the Nats could potentially involve a few more than 4 racers. The AZ guys are hard at it, and Proulx ain't goining to let Charlie rest on his laurels for very long.

Should be a great event.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Doug !! I am very proud that LSH has become such a mainstay in our clubs.And that the racing is so close,Regardless of who is top gun.Charlie is a hard worker in FE and definatly a fine competitor.I am impressed that a viper could could set that time.It takes a cool hand and a good set up.These budgett minded boats will be an important part of our hobby for years to come and my hope is to see them in lots of new hands.Tell Charlie I said HI and congrats on a job well done.Hopefully we drag your whole gang down for MC6/Nats.

We'll be there Dennis.

It's going to be a daunting task for you guys and if you need help, call on us.

Our club has been talking about 2006 and as part of that discussion, I came up with this:

Adjusting for the 6 racers who attended both of our events, our two clubs collectively hosted 54 racers in June. Add in others who will travel because it's the Nats, and you guys could be playing host for up to 75 racers.

Wow!! FE is alive and well in the Midwest and the Nats is on the verge of catapulting into the big time.

Back