rudder servo close to stuffing box?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

TomMoorehouse

I'm working on setting up my rudder servo and want to get the straightest line between the horns. To do this I need to place the rudder servo very close to the stuffing box. I've never put a servo this close to it before. Will this be a problem with heat or radio interference?

see picture for proposed location.

Tom,

I have my throttle servo mounted in a very similar location and my rudder servo laid on its side on top of the stuffing tube in my 90 rigger without problems.

Ian.

if it works with a 90.... a 21 should be easy.

anyone else done this?

I just out of curosity put everything in my boat to get a weight. i had everything in it except for a few screws and the header, but i still have to trim down and lighten my turn fin and strut.... no fuel and still have to clear the tub..... but with that it was 3.3 lbs on the digital fish scale. I was trying to make it light weight but that's real light! 3.5lbs should easily be possible i would think. i'm happy! :)

Tom!

You may want to try to twist the leads on your servo to cancel noise. Twisted pairs cancel noise. Thats what is done in like CAT 5 cable for LAN's. Just in case.

Later!

Ed Radz

I don't think there is a problem as long as the stuffing tube doesn't vibrate and touch the servo.

Don

on my 21 rigger, my servos are very close to the stuffing box and have not had any problems with intrference. also 3.3 lbs is pretty lite. what kind of ply are you using? i have built 3 .21 riggers this year and cant seem to get one under 4 lbs.

that's what is suprising.... 1/8 5 ply tub sides, 1/32 tub top and 1/16 tub buttom. sponsons are a wood over balsa/foam sandwich. lightened octure 3-30 engine mount. nothing special really. i did remember i also forgot a pipe muffler and mount but under 4 should be real easy.

oops.... that is throttle servo.... sorry my mistake. ive got an hs-5475hb for the rudder

thanks for the help!

Back