rudder placement

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tony Flakemore

after some more advice please.have seen rudders placed on right and the lefthand sides of boats was just wondering which is considerd to be the best as my plans don't state which (73 Notre Dame ) any input would be appreciated .Tony

I put the rudder on the left side at the rear of the engine bay wall on that hull so that the rudder can be pulled by the servo rather than pushed. This serves the purpose of leaving room down the right side for the tuned pipe and prevents the rudder pushrod from flexing in the predominant right hand turns

Dumas Pak rudder, strut and doubler.jpgNewton Pak transom.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My father runs the 72 Notre Dame and we have two models of the boat. One of them has the rudder on the left and the other on the right. I think the best option is placing the rudder on the left side as far over as you can get it. I believe it keeps the boat flatter in the corner and takes less rudder input to get the boat to rotate.

Dave

The greater the angle between the turn fin location and the rudder the better it turns. Put the rudder on the Left.

Back