Rudder Depth PROBLEM

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcguy76

I have strut/rudder combo I'm planning on putting on a JF wildthing..the problem is that unless I order new hardware which I dont really want to unless absolutely necessary....the bottom of the rudder is at 1-1-4" below the prop and the plans call for 1-7/8"...how much of a performance difference is there going to be with the 5/8" short rudder depth?

Thanks

Chris

With the rudder in the center of the boat there will probably be more of a tendency for it to roll out of the turn. Might want to rethink the hardware if you will be racing.

I built the down sized version and made it 21" called the Blitz and my rudder is off the right 1 1/2" and the rudder blade is even with drive dog and turns on a dime! Oh yes, for turning both ways equal make like Preston said the 1 7/8" long ( rudder ).

OK...the strut/ruuder combo isn't exactly what I meant and what your thinking of....the rudder is attached to the strut...but yes...it will be offset to the right the 1-7/8" the plans recommend......my concern is not having the right rudder depth and how it will effect performance

I have two seaducers, a .21 1st style, and a new 67. I run a standard speedmaster 21 rudder on my 21, not cut at all and the boat really likes it. Much more stable down the straights than with a cut blade, since the rudder gave me more drag and kept the nose down. I've tried blades roughly 3/4" and 1" shorter and the boat really jumps around on the straight-a-ways. Now my 67 on the other hand had a standard length 40 size speedmaster blade, and it spun out in the turns with the full length blade. (I'm pretty sure im going to say this right, someone correct me if I'm wrong) With the longer blade actually creates lift in the corners for the transom. (Hope I said that right) Each boat is different though. You may have to experiment. So to answer your question, I believe you will see a significant difference between the 5/8". I would suggest the full length first, and trim slowly.

Garrett Randall

Testing will only tell. You need enough rudder in the water when the boat is on plane. When you reach the critical length you will start losing control. You are using a turn fin, yes? To sum it up, try what you have. You can always by new. My personal experience (riggers) leads me to using long rudders. They give you a greater left "turn" capability and seem to add a slight precesion to the turns. I run about an inch longer now and have seen no speed difference.

Latest posts

Back