RUBBER MOUNTS DISTROY FLEX DRIVE??

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gpapag1

OKE! HERE I GO!!

I HAVE A CMB 80 ON A 1/8 HYDRO

I GOT 4 RUBBER CINEBLOCKS TO MOUNT IT IN PLACE!

IN THE FIRST RUN THE FLEX DRIVE DIED

THEY TOLD ME THAT THE VIBRATION FROM THE ENGINE WHEN IT GETS A SICRONIZATION POINT IT DISTROY IT

AND THEY SED ALSO THAT I MUST USE A HARDER TIPE OF RUBBER????

ANY ONE KNOWS SOMETHINK ON THAT??????

THANX AND SORRY 4 MY BAD ENGLISH

View attachment 977

LBGR,

I don't think that is your problem. I don't think you

silver soldered the end of the flex shaft after you cut

it did you? It looks like the shaft was never soldered.

What prop are you running?

Thanks,

Mark Sholund :D

Hey there L.B.

Sounds like you got that thing running....Good deal

Those big engines are heck to turn over for the first time.

Now is your flex cable lined up with the engine????

Or do you have to force it in the flex cable collet?

If you don't have a good straight path for the flex cable it will eat them up quick.

i don't think the rubber mount is the problem but would like to chat with you to see what you have for the set-up.

Just think of it this way when you get all the little things worked out how much fun your going to have....I hope you take some video's of it on the water over there....

Good luck buddy.

Chris

let me know if I can help you out.

Hi LB

It is possible that your rubber mounts are too soft but it's more likely to be other things. You do need to solder the end of the cables or they frey. You do need to line them up to be a sliding fit into the flex hex, and you need to be sure to not have very long distance between the end of your flex tube and the engine - no more than 1cm. Big gaps cause whipping.

You'll get it sorted and have a blast - just teething troubles.

GT ;D

hey!chris!!!sorry 4 the brake from email you!but too much study!!the news r we had the first run lust sunday.not many thinks.....

it fires up..we got it in the water ..

low rpms.......from the start i had the rudder trim all right ...just a bad habbit i have ...the 2 frients i have that they help me i made them a check list so all okey ,me holding the hydro the other gets on the hach

and ready to lunch but !!!!!!!!with the move to get the rear cowl cover on the boat he closed somehow the RESEVER!!!!!!i let it go and!!!!!!!!it makes a big turn (because the bad habbit !)and goes for the shore!!!!!!!

and 5 meters befor it crash the engine goes off from the flex drive.............

here in greece i cant get from NOWHERE flex drives so ill probable order it from usa......

i use a prather 255 prop

the one end u see its not soposed to be solder cose its squer for the eng.coupling so u can get the drive out!

i say it broke cose its was litle rusty

chris i promis u will have news from me soon!!!

shoboat thanx 4 the help man!

View attachment 980

Hello LB,

What size cable are you using? I can not really tell from the picture but I would definitely use .250" cable for your .80 CMB. If you use .187, it will not last too long.

Kez

One thing to keep in mind to do is after your done running for the day you should always take the flex cable out and spray it down thouroghly with WD-40. Make sure to dry it out by tapping it on a table, tap, not slap. Once it's completely dry wrap it back up in paper towels and bag it up for next time.

Just make sure to grease it up real good. I also usually spray white Lithium grease into the stuffing tube as well.

Many people will tell you that the inside of the cables rust. That causes them to break down and do major damage.

well dont worry i dont think tht that is the problem!!!

for me the problem is that the hardware i got was from 1995 in the store and the flex was rasty inside i think....

so nothink to wary!!!nice boat!!!

also i want to tell u that from the end of the tube until the prop i have 2 CM of free flex cable that is not in the tube and 1CM from the engine side!!??whrong???

but the problem it happent in the midle of the flex drive!!!

also i cant make the shape of the tube more strait

View attachment 987

Whaddya think guys?

is his flex cable not bending enough?

if your flex cable is too straight, it may slap around in the tubing, (you ARE using teflon inside the stuffing box aren't you)??

GR, please post a pic of the side view of the boat, so we can see the shape of the tubing that houses the flex cable... I'm determined to help you, i may have the same problem... I would get a new cable, (.250" dia.)silver solder the collet end, then try it again... if that solves the problem, great!

new cable can be ordered from http://www.aeromarinerc.com/

or

http://www.redlinehobbies.com/accessories/...ve_hardware.htm

I've always been happy with quick shipping from them...

Shnick ;D

You don'y wnat to have a straight flex shaft it will whip and slap inside and eventually break. Put a gradual "S" bend in the stuffing tube this stops the whip effect and will give you better torque at the propeller. Grease the shaft before going on the lake and the shaft should last at least through 1 season. Keep us posted on your progress!!! 8)

Back