RTR Scale boats for sell

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hate to say it, but I have to agree with captwalter. I can build a new boat, equip it as I desire and still have close to $1000 left over of the $2500 asked for the boats you're trying to sell. Being good runners helps, but you might want to tell the owner that unless he drops his price by at least $750, he probably won't be selling anything.

I can build a new boat, equip it as I desire and still have close to $1000 left over of the $2500 asked for the boats you're trying to sell.
Here we go again ...........

A new race ready 1/8th scale for $1500?? I'd like to see that especially when the going price of a new CMB 67 is $550.

Let's do an easy one, Phil Thomas 82U55

hull- $395

radio box- $25

strut, rudder, turn fin- $100

CMB 67 greenhead- $550

CMB 67 header $30

muffled tuned pipe- $75

3 servos, 6volt battery, PCM RX- $250

flexshaft, prepped prop- $75

I'll stop here as that's $1,500 without all the little odds & ends. We haven't even considered paint & graphics so unless it's going to get painted with Krylon rattle cans, Crayola crayons to draw the graphics & no value of labor time whatsoever the $1,500 is totally unrealistic.

Don't take this the wrong way, it's not meant to be a bash but rather I'd like to see someone who might want to get into running a scale for the first time not be misled by severely underestimating what it will cost to build one because of reading a thread like this.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can build a new boat, equip it as I desire and still have close to $1000 left over of the $2500 asked for the boats you're trying to sell.
Here we go again ...........

A new race ready 1/8th scale for $1500?? I'd like to see that especially when the going price of a new CMB 67 is $550.

Let's do an easy one, Phil Thomas 82U55

hull- $395

radio box- $25

strut, rudder, turn fin- $100

CMB 67 greenhead- $550

CMB 67 header $30

muffled tuned pipe- $75

3 servos, 6volt battery, PCM RX- $250

flexshaft, prepped prop- $75

I'll stop here as that's $1,500 without all the little odds & ends. We haven't even considered paint & graphics so unless it's going to get painted with Krylon rattle cans, Crayola crayons to draw the graphics & no value of labor time whatsoever the $1,500 is totally unrealistic.

Don't take this the wrong way, it's not meant to be a bash but rather I'd like to see someone who might want to get into running a scale for the first time not be misled by severely underestimating what it will cost to build one because of reading a thread like this.
But Don, I said build, not buy a glass hull. I can purchase a 60" square sheet of 1/16th aircraft ply for about $60, a 30X60" sheet of 1/8th aircraft ply for about $35 and a 12X36" of 1/4 aircraft ply for about $12. Unless I screw up, that should be enough ply to build a hull. Add $40 for plans and I'm looking at $147. I've seen CMB's for around $400, so I'm already $400 or so lower than your estimate. Add a SS strut for $40, a custom made rudder bracket for $50, custom home made engine mounts and turn fin brackets(and yes, I do have my own mill and lathe),whatever the rudder blade and skid fin costs, decals at $100-$150 and $350 or so for paint and epoxy, and I'm looking in the $1600-$1800 range. Granted, I didn't add in anything for labor since, for me, this is a hobby and I do it for the fun of it.

Almost forgot, you can add $40 for a stainless strut, $50 for a custom rudder bracket and probably about $10 for the 6061 T-6 aluminum to home machine engine mounts and skid fin bracket. I still need to get the rudder and skid fin blades, flex cable and stuffing box. I still figure in the $1600-$1800 dollar range

Hey that fact that you have the ability to build a wood one is very cool as is the fact you can paint & know how to use a mill & lathe. The point is without you saying all of that the impression is given that they are far cheaper to build than they really are. I'd bet 80% of the guys who race scale cannot or do not have the resources/equipment to do what you or I can do with these boats without farming some or even all of it out. For the average racer a 1/8 scale is still on of if not the most expensive boats to build ;)

Hey that fact that you have the ability to build a wood one is very cool as is the fact you can paint & know how to use a mill & lathe. The point is without you saying all of that the impression is given that they are far cheaper to build than they really are. I'd bet 80% of the guys who race scale cannot or do not have the resources/equipment to do what you or I can do with these boats without farming some or even all of it out. For the average racer a 1/8 scale is still on of if not the most expensive boats to build ;)

I guess we are just not getting enough for our scales in Florida. Two scales were sold recently. Both very good boats that will be competative. They went in the $1,000 range without engine. This is great because they can buy a brand new CMB 67 and keep the price about $1600-1700 bucks. Oh well as long as there are willing sellers and happy buyers the deal is a good one. Perry

I guess we are just not getting enough for our scales in Florida. Two scales were sold recently. Both very good boats that will be competative. They went in the $1,000 range without engine. This is great because they can buy a brand new CMB 67 and keep the price about $1600-1700 bucks. Oh well as long as there are willing sellers and happy buyers the deal is a good one. Perry
Pay attention to what was said people, it was stated a brand NEW scale boat could be built for $1500.

Scratchbuilt hull 69 Pay N Pak, $150.00

hardware 150.

pipe & header 100.

paint 200.

graphics 50.

3 servo's, receiver and battery $100

shaft & prop $35.00

1st Mac 67 won in a drawing. $30.00

$815.00

Okay, add $400.00 for the engine.

Looks like 2 good Macs for sale now $700.00 for the pair.

$1215.00

$285 for misc stuff or put toward the Thomas hull $285 +150(cost for wood boat)= $435.00

$1500. ;)

You guys crack me up. Shaft & prop for $35? A new 1/4" to 3/16" shaft is $30 on it's own. 3 servos, RX & battery for $100? Ummm sure. Everything I listed is normal priced new stuff for someone who just wants to buy stuff outright. Whatever guys .... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just pointing out it can be done. Your going for the high end and I'm showing you the opposite.

Hitec Hs81's can be had new $13.00.

I had digital for the steering, fried two and currently using a HS 645 $30.00

Hitec receiver can be had new $30.00 I'm using Futaba.

Battery packs 3 6v for $25.00 $8.33 each

Total $94.33

Shaft and prop at local hobby shop. About $35.00

I do my own props and I didn't include the drive dog and nut so this number will be a little higher.

Next time one of you builds a scale boat from scratch, I challenge you to keep ALL the receipts for the components and misc. items you buy for that build. Now this means not borrowing parts from an old boat you have laying around.

Once you add up all the receipts at the end of the build, I bet you will be surprised at how much it REALLY costs. :unsure: I know I was! I'm not trying to slam anyone here, I just want to inform people that scales cost a LOT more than we think, especially when adding up all the little things that we didn't think mattered when estimating what our total cost might be. :blink:

paint 200.

graphics 50.

WOW! Glenn, where are you getting these for these prices?! I just want to know, so I can get some from your source also! Man, clear, reducer and hardener costs about that in my area... let alone adding multiple colors! :ph34r: Let me know. Thanks!

Hope you can make it out to the NW Scale Hydroplane Championship again soon!

Hey Don, you should come out too!

I'll keep tabs on the next one.

The original graphics I used were from a local shop designed by Roger Hooks Jr.. The lady sold me 2 1/2 sets for $50.00. The next set for the newer boat is going to run between 100-150.00.

I'll have to look around for receipts on the paint but I know already the cost is going to be a bit more on the next project.

My only point was you can build one in the $1500.00 range. For somebody on a budget buying used is a great way to go. Some really good deals can be had out there.

A guy in SoCal had a beautiful, new RTR Miss Renault for sale on Ebay.....about $1600.00 with 3 Picco's or about 750-850. less the engines. I don't think it sold.

I can't make the NW Scale Hydroplane Championship this year. We have a race in our district that weekend plus with the NAMBA Nats, the Muncey this coming weekend and a trip to Vegas next month I'm running short on vacation days.

Maybe next year unless I get a girlfriend who drags me off on a real vacation :p

I'll keep tabs on the next one. The original graphics I used were from a local shop designed by Roger Hooks Jr.. The lady sold me 2 1/2 sets for $50.00. The next set for the newer boat is going to run between 100-150.00.

I'll have to look around for receipts on the paint but I know already the cost is going to be a bit more on the next project.

My only point was you can build one in the $1500.00 range. For somebody on a budget buying used is a great way to go. Some really good deals can be had out there.

A guy in SoCal had a beautiful, new RTR Miss Renault for sale on Ebay.....about $1600.00 with 3 Picco's or about 750-850. less the engines. I don't think it sold.

I can't make the NW Scale Hydroplane Championship this year. We have a race in our district that weekend plus with the NAMBA Nats, the Muncey this coming weekend and a trip to Vegas next month I'm running short on vacation days.

Maybe next year unless I get a girlfriend who drags me off on a real vacation :p
Glenn, Will you build me a scale for $1500.00? When you build a boat to sell how much is labor? Everyone seems to forget that.

CZAR

Roger ,

We do it for the love of the hobby, labor is free ;)

Just kidding.....if it's for somebody else "THERE'S NO SUCH THING AS A $1500.00 SCALE!"

I'll have my $1500.00 scale in San Diego this weekend......please remind David to bring 3 extra glow plugs with him :p

Glenn

Back